New (well almost) 29 gal FOWLR - also need advice please.

imurnamine

You haven't taken anyone's time... That's what forums are for!
When I found this forum I had made a mistake very similar to yours. Everyone was super helpful... Don't take peoples' advice to be negative or condescending. We want to help you; it's just irritating that there's people out there in the world that work at LFS, claiming to be seasoned aquarists & obviously don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImUrNamine http:///forum/thread/387185/new-well-almost-29-gal-fowlr-also-need-advice-please/20#post_3404847
You haven't taken anyone's time... That's what forums are for!
When I found this forum I had made a mistake very similar to yours. Everyone was super helpful... Don't take peoples' advice to be negative or condescending. We want to help you; it's just irritating that there's people out there in the world that work at LFS, claiming to be seasoned aquarists & obviously don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.
+1....remember fish stores are out to make a buck....we are only here for the love of the hobby...the only thing we have to gain is satisfaction that your fish are well taken care of, and you also have a good experience....
with the exception of a larger filter and a powerhead that should be good for now......with proper maintenance you can get your tank where you want it to be swo the fish are happy and so are you

travelerjp98

+1 to both meowzer and ImUrNamine...
fish stores are businesses. and businesses make money.
I personally recommend seachem vs. API because I feel that they are more reliable...
I wish you best of luck!

keimaxbode

Thanks to everyone. Sorry for over reacting. I guess I was in shock and feeling defeated. I am going to LFS today to ask if they will take fish back and then to Wal-mart to see if they have filter suggested. If I get the double filter and continue running the Aqua Clear, can I hold off getting a PH? The PH that was suggested at the LFS was over $50. I will also get the test kit.
If they will give me an in-store credit, I could start over; in which case, what do you recommend after water is stable? I would like to go as colorful as possible since I can't do corals.
If they won't give credit, is there any way I could keep the coral beauty for color and return some or all of the b/w and the Butterfly?

imurnamine

I think the main concern with your Coral Beauty is that the tank is too small, not to mention that it is currently overstocked. Even with getting rid of every other fish, 29 gallons is still too small for her. There are a LOT of other fish that are size-appropriate that will bring lots of colour into your aquarium. Also, once you get more live rock in there & the tank becomes established, you'll get a lot of beauty just growing on your rock.

cubnb79

you might already know this but when you test your ph its going to be lower earlier in the day after your light is on for awhile your ph will raise on its own

imurnamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keimaxbode http:///forum/thread/387185/new-well-almost-29-gal-fowlr-also-need-advice-please/20#post_3405227
Ok:sad: I'll see if they will take both back.
I know it's a tough call... but this way the Coral Beauty has a much greater chance of survival. It isn't right to punish a fish for the aquarist's lack of knowledge & research. I mean that in the nicest way possible & I had to do it in the beginning as well.
I'd also start searching elsewhere for a new LFS; I'd have a very difficult time trusting the people who sold you all of the fish knowing what was going on. I was VERY lucky to find an amazing LFS where I lived back in the day... They're few & far between, but I really wish you the best of luck. Your tank is already off to a beautiful start!

travelerjp98

there are TONS, I mean TONS, of great, colorful fish for your tank that would be really nice in your tank... do your research... see what you really want!

keimaxbode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImUrNamine http:///forum/thread/387185/new-well-almost-29-gal-fowlr-also-need-advice-please/20#post_3405258
I know it's a tough call... but this way the Coral Beauty has a much greater chance of survival. It isn't right to punish a fish for the aquarist's lack of knowledge & research. I mean that in the nicest way possible & I had to do it in the beginning as well.
I'd also start searching elsewhere for a new LFS; I'd have a very difficult time trusting the people who sold you all of the fish knowing what was going on. I was VERY lucky to find an amazing LFS where I lived back in the day... They're few & far between, but I really wish you the best of luck. Your tank is already off to a beautiful start!
Well, good news and bad news from the LFS.
I asked to speak to the manager this time and she agreed the staff should not have sold the Butterfly for my size tank and would give me in-store credit for its return. However, she backed up the sale of the CB, saying they were appropriate for 30 gal tanks. I told her about information I had found on this site and that I was concerned about the bio-load and she pointed out that my water was fine the day I purchased the Butterfly, which was 2-3 weeks after purchasing the CB. When I explained that this site recommends a 55 gal tank, she gave me others that said 30 gal so needless to say no return on the CB.
I purchased the recommended double filter to replace the Aqua Clear so it is up and running, producing a quite a bit more water flow compared to the Aqua Clear. The test kits at the LFS were pricey as I anticipated so I'll order on line. I will have to wait a bit to order a power head. What size do I need?
The double filter is creating a lot of water movement. Will that not be enough for fish only? I used the money from the butterfly return to purchase the new filter and a algae cleaner.
My water test yesterday was:
Am=0
Nitrate=20
Nitrite=0
Alk=300
pH=8.4
I think she will agree to allow me to return CB if I start having bad test results, but didn't want to push my luck yesterday since she took the butterfly back and gave me in-store credit with which I purchased dog food (that's where we get it normally so that worked out fine). Do I still need to do a water change based on above results? The result sheet says nothing required for fish only unless Nitrates go over 20 and that water was from the tank with the butterfly and AquaClear filter. I added a gallon of RO freshwater to replace what I took back with the butterfly and needed top off anyway. My salinity now is just over 1.023. I have a hydrometer and will have to also wait a bit to replace that with a refractometer as recommended.
I'm sure I need more CUC, should I order online when I order the test kit or should I wait - won't not having enough CUC effect my water quality also? And I still need more rock - do I wait on that or get some with the credit I still have left at the LFS, that too will effect my water quality, right?
Thanks again for everyone's help - I know I have a long way still to go but hopefully am heading in the right direction at least.

meowzer

You can get this kit....and look at a Koralia 1

Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit API....on sale for $17.59

travelerjp98

I really prefer the seachem tests, though...
Diana- the link you provided to us is right, that's the test you want, imo...

keimaxbode

Update on progress with tank corrections:
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Returned Raccoon Butterfly

[*]
Replaced Aqua Clear with Wal-Mart double filter - tank cleared up in no time - Yeah!
After additional research, I decided to order, and just received, Koralia Evo 550 and Seachem Marine Basic test kit
Completed water changes and results of last test done at LFS was: Am-0; Nitrate-5; Nitrite-0; Alk-230; pH-8.1
[/list type=decimal]
Thanks again for everyone's advice.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. So I just unpacked the Koralia, but not sure where to place it in my tank. Also, do I rinse it in old saltwater or vinegar or ??? before putting in tank?

I will post results of my first self-administered water tests tomorrow after I read the instructions and figure out how to do them.

meowzer

so you just have the 1 PH? Put it either on the left or right side of tank...center, .about 3/4 of the way up....let it blow across and see how that does

keimaxbode

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387185/new-well-almost-29-gal-fowlr-also-need-advice-please/20#post_3409560
so you just have the 1 PH? Put it either on the left or right side of tank...center, .about 3/4 of the way up....let it blow across and see how that does
Yes, just one. Ok, I'll do that. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98
http:///t/387185/new-well-almost-29-gal-fowlr-also-need-advice-please/20#post_3409562
I'm glad you got yourself a test kit- it will help you!
Thanks, I'm sure it will.