New Years resolutions. Got them?

snakeblitz33

I always have two goals. Loose weight and be a better human being.
I have quit drinking soda since the first and even though it is only day two, I feel so lethargic, slow, moody and grumpy. This is now allowing me to work on my second resolution really well just yet. Last night I slept 13 hours! Will this feeling pass??
What are your New Years resolutions?

deejeff442

i always hear people want to lose weight.every new year the gym has more people.then after febuary you dont see them anymore.my resolution is to put on 30 pounds of muscle by april.i quit drinking beer and eat 5-6 times a day.i put on 13 pounds already since october.on my way.

flower

Not really a New years resolution, but it is the new year soooo....I started back on weight watchers on-line...last time I lost 52 pounds...then came the divorce, and I quit counting my points (6 years ago)...Now I'm even bigger then the first time around. I gotta do this!

Snake, weight watchers is for folks who like to eat, you can eat or drink whatever you want, just stay within the points you are allowed...$18.95 a month...That's not much of a price for the benefit, and it really does work. We could encourage each other if you want to join....check it out.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So, I'm curious why the monthly membership is necessary? I mean, if you know the basic premise and follow that what do you need the monthly join for?

I've been drinking diet soda since I was in college---a long time ago--and now they say that diet soda puts on weight. LOL I was drinking diet when I felt like it, but last yr I committed to drinking only one a day. The rest is water and sometimes a juice as a snack. I gave up coffee in Dec. and honestly I do feel better not drinking it. I only had one large mug a day.

snakeblitz33

My wife and I have been working together to loose weight we have both committed and have these little free motivators to help inspire us to loose a bit of weight. I have my support system in place. I just have to do the work and get into a new routine and mind set. It took me about a year to drop 60lbs a few years back. I can guess that if I can do what I did back then I might can loose 70bs this year and keep most offs off if my wife and I can change our lifestyles.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/396900/new-years-resolutions-got-them#post_3536688
I've seen over 50 people type "loose weight" so far this month. What the heck does it mean?

LOL... I'm not a scientist, but.....

Lose (l
z)
v. lost (lôst, l
st), los·ing, los·es
v.tr.

1. To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay: He's always losing his car keys.
a. To be deprived of (something one has had): lost her art collection in the fire; lost her job.
b. To be left alone or desolate because of the death of: lost his wife.
c. To be unable to keep alive: a doctor who has lost very few patients.
To be unable to keep control or allegiance of: lost his temper at the meeting; is losing supporters by changing his mind.
To fail to win; fail in: lost the game; lost the court case.
To fail to use or take advantage of: Don't lose a chance to improve your position.
To fail to hear, see, or understand: We lost the plane in the fog. I lost her when she started speaking about thermodynamics.

a.
To let (oneself) become unable to find the way.
b.
To remove (oneself), as from everyday reality into a fantasy world.
To rid oneself of: lost five pounds.

Loose:
/lus/ Show Spelled [loos] Show IPA
adjective, loos·er, loos·est.
free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
free from> anything that binds or restrains; unfettered: loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.
uncombined, as a chemical element.
not bound together: to wear one's hair loose.
not put up in a package or other container: loose mushrooms.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396900/new-years-resolutions-got-them#post_3536666
So, I'm curious why the monthly membership is necessary? I mean, if you know the basic premise and follow that what do you need the monthly join for?

Hi,

It's more then support, as 2Quills suggested...They have a converter for your food on the site. You can also purchase a WW calculator. You put in the amount of the total fat...carbs...fiber and protein, and it puts out a number. So instead of counting calories, you count points.

Example:
For my weight I need to use no more then 38 points each day. I can eat whatever I want, even cookies, but everything has to be calculated and given a points value. The site has a place to register the food points, and what it was I ate. There is also a favorites, so I can save foods I eat all the time, and load it to my daily tally with a simple click, and not have to calculate it again each time.
Mornings
Midday
Evening
Anytime (snack)

If my breakfast has 8 points with my toast, turkey bacon and eggs, then I have 30 points more. At lunch time lets say I ate 11 points value with a sandwich, that leaves me 18 more points for dinner...but before dinner I ate 3 cookies which had 4 points (serving size 3 cookies)...I add that number to the anytime area...and for dinner I ate some chicken with rice that added up to 14 points.

Most veggies, and fruit are free foods, I can eat all I want of those, and not need to worry about the points. it's the end of the evening and I still have 10 points unused...but I don't want anything else, but if wanted... I have points for a snack.

I also have cheater points...I have 10 points remaining tonight, but if my snack is 14 points, the 4 extra, are taken from the cheater points (I get 49 cheater points a week). I will still lose weight, but not as fast, if I used up all the cheater points each week. The goal is 2 pounds a week to lose, that's about 10 pounds a month...it's slow but steady, and it's easy to stay on it because it's geared for folks who like to eat.

There is also an app that lets me scan a food in the grocery store, so I don't have to stand there with the WW calculator, and it will tell me how many points is in a serving of that food.

As the body grows smaller, the points are reduced, only a few each time, so it isn't really noticed.

Oh...and tons of recipes and ideas from other members, chat groups to join...it's really a nice way to stay on target and lose weight, without feeling starved and deprived.

2quills

Hi,
It's more then support, as 2Quills suggested...They have a converter for your food on the site. You can also purchase a WW calculator. You put in the amount of  the total fat...carbs...fiber and protein, and it puts out a number. So instead of counting calories, you count points.
Example:
For my weight I need to use no more then 38 points each day. I can eat whatever I want, even cookies, but everything has to be calculated and given a points value. The site has a place to register the food points, and what it was I ate. There is also a favorites, so I can save foods I eat all the time, and load it to my daily tally with a simple click, and not have to calculate it again each time.
Mornings
Midday
Evening
Anytime (snack)
If my breakfast has 8 points with my toast, turkey bacon and eggs, then I have 30 points more. At lunch time lets say I ate 11 points value with a sandwich, that leaves me 18 more points for dinner...but before dinner I ate 3 cookies which had 4 points (serving size 3 cookies)...I add that number to the anytime area...and for dinner I ate some chicken with rice that added up to 14 points.
Most veggies, and fruit are free foods, I can eat all I want of those, and not need to worry about the points. it's the end of the evening and I still have 10 points unused...but I don't want anything else, but if  wanted... I have points for a snack.
I also have cheater points...I have 10 points remaining tonight, but if my snack is 14 points, the 4 extra, are taken from the cheater points (I get 49 cheater points a week). I will still lose weight, but not as fast, if I used up all the cheater points each week. The goal is 2 pounds a week to lose, that's about 10 pounds a month...it's slow but steady, and it's easy to stay on it because it's geared for folks who like to eat.
There is also an app that lets me scan a food in the grocery store, so I don't have to stand there with the WW calculator, and it will tell me how many points is in a serving of that food.
As the body grows smaller, the points are reduced, only a few each time, so it isn't really noticed.
Oh...and tons of recipes and ideas from other members, chat groups to join...it's really a nice way to stay on target and lose weight, without feeling starved and deprived.
Yep, my wife had done it a while back before we came to Texas and did pretty well with it. But for some reason I remember it being a whole lot more expensive but I think she was purchasing meals or something. She's actually been on a pretty big kick for this last year and has dropped over a third of her weight. I'm proud of her. :)
When I say support I mean it's actually educational.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/396900/new-years-resolutions-got-them#post_3536696
Yep, my wife had done it a while back before we came to Texas and did pretty well with it. But for some reason I remember it being a whole lot more expensive but I think she was purchasing meals or something. She's actually been on a pretty big kick for this last year and has dropped over a third of her weight. I'm proud of her. :)
When I say support I mean it's actually educational.

I don't think they sell foods, like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem...I do see some frozen dinners and snacks with the WW logo, at the market.

What I really like about WW is that I don't have to buy "diet" food for me, and the rest of the household eats regular food. I eat what everyone else does, and the grocery bill doesn't climb.

It really does teach you how to cook healthier...my mother makes fried chicken swim in oil, I use a spritz of pam olive oil cooking spray, and bake my breaded coated chicken, it's all in the seasoning when it comes to taste.

2quills

I don't think they sell foods, like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem...I do see some frozen dinners and snacks with the WW logo, at the market.
What I really like about WW is that I don't have to buy "diet" food for me, and the rest of the household eats regular food. I eat what everyone else does, and the grocery bill doesn't climb.
It really does teach you how to cook healthier...my mother makes fried chicken swim in oil, I use a spritz of pam olive oil cooking spray, and bake my breaded coated chicken, it's all in the seasoning when it comes to taste.
Actually I believe she was doing the WW thing and then at some point around that time she'd tried the nutri system meals now that you mention it. She didn't do the meals for long I know that. But she was doing real good,then we moved and she stayed good for a while but eventually came back. It's just something she's always dealt with. About 2 years ago she started getting back in it. But all we are doing now is essentially what you're talking about. Eating many of the same foods just being smarter with how you cook it. We like coconut oil. She lost quite a bit in the first year. Second year became a struggle to keep loosing. But I've never seen so motivated to want to keep going as she is now. It's a cool thing to see for her or anyone else trying.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/396900/new-years-resolutions-got-them#post_3536702
Actually I believe she was doing the WW thing and then at some point around that time she'd tried the nutri system meals now that you mention it. She didn't do the meals for long I know that. But she was doing real good,then we moved and she stayed good for a while but eventually came back. It's just something she's always dealt with. About 2 years ago she started getting back in it. But all we are doing now is essentially what you're talking about. Eating many of the same foods just being smarter with how you cook it. We like coconut oil. She lost quite a bit in the first year. Second year became a struggle to keep loosing. But I've never seen so motivated to want to keep going as she is now. It's a cool thing to see for her or anyone else trying.

LOL...Those frozen meals just never appealed to me. I have never tried coconut oil, I may just get me some to try it out...thanks for the idea.

snakeblitz33

Today is my first day of no deserts and no soda. I've lost 2lbs this last week. I'm doing good I think, at a steady and comfortable pace.
I have lost 60lbs in the past without being on some kind of diet plan. I know what to do to lose weight.

2quills

LOL...Those frozen meals just never appealed to me. I have never tried coconut oil, I may just get me some to try it out...thanks for the idea.
Actually they weren't that bad. Just crazy expensive, which gives me the idea that since we are paying for everybodies health care now it might be wise to invest in companies that promote healthy living.
Coconut Oil, yes. Definitely worth looking into, IMO. Many great benefits. We really do feel a difference.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396900/new-years-resolutions-got-them#post_3536683
It took me about a year to drop 60lbs a few years back. I can guess that if I can do what I did back then I might can loose 70bs this year and keep most offs off if my wife and I can change our lifestyles.
130 lbs to drop is a lot of weight. How long were you working on loosing the first 60?

crimzy

My goal is to continue to be awesome for another year. I also aspire to remain unmarried and un-engaged for another year. This is quite a challenge if you ever dated thirty something, unmarried women...