NEWBIE 200 gal build diary

rlablan

Well he did come with a weird indentation on his tail. But it wasn't like bites, it was like one large, smooth indentation. I thought maybe he was just that way...
Now today it looks like someone has been picking on him. :( I have't seen anyone though.
Where can I get these beta glucen caplet things? like a GNC or something?

rlablan

Yeah I didn't put him in a net at all, but the LFS might have. I brought him home in a bucket and then I acclimated him in it and then I continuously dumped a little water out and added more of mine over the course of the day, then I put him and the water and the bucket in my tank and let him go.

cranberry

Originally Posted by melypr1985
http:///forum/post/3167503
It's funny that you mention that about your mandarin b/c just the other day I noticed my mandarin was really pale and splotchy. I thought she was dead and when I reached in to see she moved away and started to color up almost emediately. I have no clue why that happened but she seems just fine now... maybe a little slower and less... umm... enthusiastic than usual but other than that.... seems normal. I would be interested also if anybody has an idea on this subject.
Mandarins do this when they are "sleeping". Many times I swore mine was dead.

rlablan

Yeah I have seen that before too. Mine does it when the lights are out. It's that same look but this is in a small square on the tail, and it's there 24/7, not just when the lights come on. It's there all day and night whether he is moving or still. I have no idea what that is... Very weird, and very new. It's only been like that for maybe... 3 days now? But the mandarin seems fine, and is hunting for pods and all... so... I DK? If he stops being active, then I will be concerned, Or if it stays for a long time.
Could it be possible that he was stung? or somehow injured? like by a fallling rock or something? I dunno.. That is my best guess.

cranberry

I wouldn't think so. To make such an injury I would expect other bodily marks besides scale damage. It's also both eyes... that couldn't match up.
I would keep a super close eye on him and feed him very well. I got my Beta Glucan from Whole Foods. He looks like he's try to tuck himself inside a cave in those last pics.

rlablan

So should I shut off the lights? Could that help make him less stressed? There are places for him to hide, if he wanted to. There are not caves, per se, but there are places that are less conspicuous than where he has chosen to be. I am just not sure what I should be doing for him.
He is just laying there and it makes me want to cry.

rlablan

My lion fish just died. :(
He is just laying in the tank and I don't know how to remove him yet, so I am leaving him but... He died while we were trying to figure out what was wrong with him.
So sad.

rlablan

I know that they do this while sleeping guys. Thank you.
Must I repeat that This patch is like this 24/7. It is like that right now, and I don't think the mandarin is sleeping, considering that it is moving and I am looking at it.
That said, Does anyone know what this could be? Mely had a similar thing going on, and her mandarin passed today, and as my lion just died, I would like to fix this if I can or need to... I don't think I can handle another favorite fish dying on me.

nissan577

hey sis. im sorry for the loss
i hate it when your fav fish dies. i hope for the best
and i love the tank alot

rlablan

Thanks Bro!
The tank is gone. Has been gone for a while. Now I just have the two small reefs. And I am happy with those.