Newbie 24 gallon all-in-one reefer.

3xplorer19

I found out it’s a vermetid snails and got it resolved. Thanks much. Guess for now I leave things accordingly and just enjoy.

3xplorer19

Today, I just received my hanna phosphate marine ulr checker. I just followed the instructions in testing and received a 0.90 ppm. Now I’m doing water change. I called marine depot and they said that their instruments are 100% accurate. What do you think?

Attachments

lmforbis

No instrument is 100% accurate, I’m a chemist I know. Don’t panic that is the fastest way to cause a problem. If everything is doing well don’t worry. Corals need phosphate especially softies and LPS.

lmforbis

Very nice. Be sure to put another layer of 2x4 under the rim of your stand to carry the weight of the tank. Otherwise only a few screws are holding it up. I have built several stands like that, including my current one and they are great. Here is a pic of mine at that stage you can see that i have structure supporting the edge I always pain them because the lumber will get wet and I don’t want to deal with it getting damaged. I also added a pic of the finished tank as soon as I moved all the fish and rock.0621A2B0-BB20-440E-9E12-25106AF186F6.jpeg8D1D22CB-E317-4159-BD3E-08B842F2B2EF.jpeg
0621A2B0-BB20-440E-9E12-25106AF186F6.jpeg
8D1D22CB-E317-4159-BD3E-08B842F2B2EF.jpeg
8D1D22CB-E317-4159-BD3E-08B842F2B2EF.jpeg
. 0621A2B0-BB20-440E-9E12-25106AF186F6.jpeg

0621A2B0-BB20-440E-9E12-25106AF186F6.jpeg

3xplorer19

Omg, that looks like a pro! I’ll look into adding a t-shape leg support in the center of the stand maybe a 4x4 just like the rest of the legs. I’ll def brush the stand with a saltwater proof paint if they have at Home Depot. And that should semi-protect it and overall to hold the weight of my 500 lbs aquarium. What say you? In addition, I currently have 2 2 months old clowns and 6 months old midas blenny, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp and fire fish. How many more fishes may I add to max out? Would a yellow tang and royal hippo tang be ok? Also I have one maxima clam, am I able to get 2 total?

3xplorer19

oh man … what a bummer ... what other cool types of fishes may I add and what am I limited too? again, I got a pair of clowns, blenny, goby & firefish (5 fishes total). 1 rainbow bta, maxima clam, pistol shrimp, snails and hermits I had for awhile (6 months old). Also, I have tested my 40 breeder and no leaks were found. When I do water change, I dump the water from 24 and transfer and addon to the 40. I do though test for salinity, ph, ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity and calcium. what do you think? I already added dry rocks, caribsea reef sand and big bottle of microbacter xlm. In the 40 breeder, I have circulation pumps, heater and wave maker, my fluval aquaclear 70 is installed but turned off due to the benefical bacteria was just thrown in. do you think the hang on back fluval aquaclear 70 is a sufficient enough filter combine with hang on back aquamax protien skimmer 1.5 that i'm goin to purchase? what's your opinion about it?

lmforbis

It depends on the fish and their habits. I saw pics of an amazing 40B reef with dwarf lion fish. Problem is you can’t have anything else because they will be eaten.

you could do a dwarf angel like a flame.

You still can’t do fish that need a lot of space to swim. A 40B is only 3’ long. It is probably the best dimensions for a small tank. Tangs and fish like anthias, even if they are small, need a lot of length for swimming. You need a 5-6 foot tank for these fish. The key to more fish is to research their habbits. Mix it up with fish that hang at the bottom like gobies and fish that hang in the rock work like clowns, dwarf angels, Dottie backs, royal gramma, and fish that hang in open water like fire fish and cardinal fish. If they aren’t competing for territory then you can do more. If all your fish occupy the same environment in the tank then you can only do a few Because of the limited territory.

lmforbis

The equipment should be fine. I don’t know anything about that skimmer. Look at the reef octopus hang on the back skimmer. I don't know if it is better but I know it is a good one. Compare reviews and specs. Go ahead and run the filter. I assume you are going to transfer your rocks from your other tank. Those rocks will provide a good chunk of the biofiltration needed for your current animals. Once you transfer them wait a 3-4 weeks to add anything else. I’d suggest getting a SeaChem ammonia alert badge. You hang it in your tank and it gives real time info on the ammonia status. This is important when transferring tanks because things from the old tank get stirred up. Have some Prime on hand to deal with any ammonia spikes. More of a preventative measure than anything else. Don’t transfer the sand.

3xplorer19

I'll look into what we want for the fishes. Thanks for that! Over the weekend I added dry rocks, caribsea reef sand (2 bags) and Microbacter XLM starter and daily I dose 20ml of imagitarium biological booster. Also when I do water change, I transfer 10-15% of water from 24g to 40g, that should help with the cycle, right? I'm doing water change today again, so I can move some of the live rocks over. Also, I can cut my chaeto in half cause it blooming and put it in the 40g on an acclimation box. What do you think? You mentioned about turning on filters but I just added the microbacter xlm starter and biological booster and it says on the back to keep filter system off for a week. You recon I turn on the spare protein skimmer I have from my 24g and turn on my fluval aquaclear 70 filter as well? After 30 days, I will transfer all my livestocks from 24g to 40g as long as the water parameters are parallel. What you think?

Lbablylee

Your tank is way over stocked.
A 24 gallon maybe 4-5 SMALL fish. The mandarin doesn’t have a chance. The tang needs a much bigger tank so does the damsel. The chromis will kill each other off.
return the damsel the tang the mandarin and the chromes. At that point your stocked appropriately. I’m surprised your ammonia isn’t higher. Unless you have some very good (read as expensive) lights the BTA will die.
If your fish store said all this was a good idea find a new fish store.
I too am in a shock with the amount of fish you have. Are you doing this on your own or is a LFS helping you. Gosh you have spent a lot of money.

lmforbis

Don’t worry about the skimmer won’t help anything until fish are in it. By turning on the filter you allow the bacteria to colonize the filter. If it has a sponge component that will hold tons of bacteria which is good. When you do water changes use the water from the change to rinse out the sponge and replace it into the filter. Never clean it in grease water as that will kill the good stuff.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

3xplorer19

I too am in a shock with the amount of fish you have. Are you doing this on your own or is a LFS helping you. Gosh you have spent a lot of money.
That was then and I was just starting. Was my very first time. I’m still a newb but a little better now. Now I only have a pair of clowns, blenny, goby and a firefish on a 40 breeder. Any recommendations what fishes to add?

3xplorer19

Don’t worry about the skimmer won’t help anything until fish are in it. By turning on the filter you allow the bacteria to colonize the filter. If it has a sponge component that will hold tons of bacteria which is good. When you do water changes use the water from the change to rinse out the sponge and replace it into the filter. Never clean it in grease water as that will kill the good stuff.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
Thanks for all your help since day one. Today is my 7th month in the hobby. And thanks to you I have gain so much more knowledge. I’m sure the longer it gets I’ll some other problem coming and to be expected. Thanks for the future advises you will be giving me. Looking forward toward the future!

Attachments

3xplorer19

Stuffs that I got from the New England Frag Farmer’s Market in Storrs, CT over the weekend. My very first experience. I came in the last hour. I think maybe I got a good bargain?? I spent $260 for 5 frags and got 2 free frags. The zoa and the stick which I don't know the name of.

Attachments