Newbie - 90 Gallon - Corner - Diary

seschaefer

Did you get the water and live sand from an established tank? If not you might be moving too quick. I would hold off on adding anything more for about a month. If all is well after a month then add another fish, give it a couple of weeks and then another one. I know it is terrible, but waiting is the key to the hobby when you are first starting a tank. It is the hardest part of the hobby but absolutely the most essential. By the way, i love the tank and how all the rock looks in there.

browniebuck

If you have live rock that has been cured and live sand that is truly live, you may not see much of a cycle.
I know that with my wife's tank (29G), we started with cured live rock and live sand from an established system and were able to add fish within a week (I was freaked, but my wife was VERY impatient!). One of the two original clowns still resides in the tank (the other got lumps on his head and died after about 2 years or so). If you start with quality stuff, I think that you can avoid the bulk of the cycle.

All live rock came from an established system.
I will be monitoring everything very closley with the 3 fish. I will make sure everything is stable. I am only adding small hardy animals.
Corals won't be added for another 2 months.

Here is an update of ALL the live stock:
CLEAN UP CREW

50 x Turbo/Astrea Snail
50 x Scarlet Hermit Crab
20 x Nassarius Snail
3 x Emerald Crab
5 x Peppermint Shrimp
1 x Fire Shrimp
10 x Turbo/Astrea Snail
2 x Fancy Nassarius Snail
1 x Coral Banded Shrimp
1 x Sally Lightfoot
1 x Porcelain Crab
FISH

Yellow Watchmen Goby
Banded Watchman Goby
Pink & Blue Goby
Banded Juvenile Goby
Bicolor Blenny
Fairy Wrasse
Here are some photos

bill109

Originally Posted by MyTicketin.com
http:///forum/post/3156814
The sand is rough in some spots and really fine in others. Do you think he will have problems.
He likes to move around my snails.

idk, if it is fine enough for the fish to sift it will be okay, it is a part of their life and what they do in their natural habitat..i think the fish will be happier in the long run if it has some fine sand for it to sift. we buy they fish knowing we can care for it and the fact that we like it.

I have seen him sift a couple times. Most of the fine sand is towards the back of the tank because of the powerheads. Thanks for the tips

I have the itch.
Once my tank has reached its 2 month mark. I would like to start adding Corals.
Looking for some advice
How many pieces should I start with?
Here is a list of some of my favorites:
Chili Coral
Christmas Tree Coral
Colt Coral
Brain Coral - Open Green
Plate Coral - Neon Green
Mushroom Polyp - Ricordea Orange 1 Polyp
Mushroom Polyp - Ricordea Blue 2 Polyp
Nepthea Tree - Green
Brain Coral - Lobo Red
Candy Cane Coral
Mushroom Coral - Ricordea Yuma
Zoos - Pink
Leather - Stubby Fin
I tried to start with easy stuff.

Today I had a leak.

The hose connecting to my refugium came loose, so I tightened and fixed it. Then I must of loosened my overflow hose and that sprung a leak. It took me 3 hours and I am finnally leak free.

raymond2688

i am very new to this hobbie and have been reading everything i can my tank is doing good.
again i am not a pro but i am concerned about the rate at which you are stocking your tank. i went threw the same thing thinking my tank was good because i could not wait and it was disastrous. not only did everything die i was out alot of money. since then it has been slow and steady. again just my opinion and hard learned experience
good luck your tank does look good

Thank you for the advice.
I am not planning on introducing anymore livestock for one month.
Right now I have 6 small fish and a clean up crew. Do you think that is too much?

Just did a water test
Ph - 8.3
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Calcium - 412
Magnesium - 1220
Alkalinity - 11
All of my current animals are great.

fretfreak13

My input on your corals:
Chili Coral - Hard to care for, need a lot of flow and spot feeding, I think.
Christmas Tree Coral - Don't know much about it, but there was something wierd about this one. I don't remember what it was though. lol
Colt Coral - Don't know much about it.
Brain Coral - Open Green - good
Plate Coral - Neon Green - I've heard they don't live long and after a few weeks they die slowly and just look nasty.
Mushroom Polyp - Ricordea Orange 1 Polyp - good
Mushroom Polyp - Ricordea Blue 2 Polyp - good
Nepthea Tree - Green - Don't know about it. Sorry. ^_^'
Brain Coral - Lobo Red - woot woot!
Candy Cane Coral - good (I have one and love it, my fav coral)
Mushroom Coral - Ricordea Yuma - cool
Zoos - Pink - horray
Leather - Stubby Fin - yay
Your tank is already stunning, I'll be following you all the way. =D I wish I used black sand...