Newbie - 90 Gallon - Corner - Diary

Hello Everyone,
I have just moved into a new home and have always wanted a salt water tank.
So here it is:
Oceanic 90 gallon corner tank
Compact MH, Corallife tubes, with moonlight
Corallife 125 gallon Skimmer
1/4 hp Chiller
90 lbs of live sand (black)
150 lbs of Live Rock (Fiji)
I think this site is awesome. There are so many great tanks and so many helpful people. I will need all the help I can get.
Thank you in advanced.
MyTicketin.com

flower

Welcome to the site,
Looks good, you may need more power heads. I doubt 1 will do. You have to agitate the surface of the water. It is too still. The ocean has currents, you have to make currents in the tank. Also if you want corals...make a cave or have some good ledges, not all coral wants bright lights.
Happy Reefing and keep us posted.

I have had my tank going for 10 days all my test have shown ZERO. I put shrimp in the tank for 24 hours and nothing still. When can I expect a spike?

small triggers

what temp is your tank set at? and um you really dont need that much dead shrimp to start a cycle, lol. just one piece will do, and yet again the movement of the water will affect your readings, so give it a few days it took my tank 4 days to note a ammonia spike and 4 weeks to cycle fully.

Went to the LFS and they tested my water. They said my water is perfect. They said that if you start out the right way, you will not see a huge spike.
Any advise?

melypr1985

My advice and personal experience would be not to listen to your LFS at all. You do your research about everything before you go there and ask them questions then. You will see just how little most of them know. disclaimer:there are LFS that are really great but most are just out to make a buck and dont really care about what happens to your tank. Buyer Beware!
My second little bit of advice is what anybody in this hobby will tell you: BE PATIENT Just sit back relax and keep doing your tests. Your cycle will come and go before you know it. ;)

I am trying the to set my lighting cycle. I work from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. How should I set my lights?
I have the following system:
Coralife Aqualight Pro Metal Halide Aquarium Light Fixture, 1X250W HQI & 2X65W Compact Fluorescents, 36 inch. With moonlights.
I also have a flourecent tube for the refugium

melypr1985

Originally Posted by MyTicketin.com
http:///forum/post/3152665
Any lighting ideas?
i would just set them for when you want to see the tank. you can set the lights to come on at like 2pm and have them go off whenever you go to bed or something. i know some people on here work at night and have their lighting schedual coincide with their "awake time". It doesn't matter as long as your tank gets the right amount.

How long should the Mh be on per day?
How long should the compact tubes be on.
Should they be on at diffrent times or the same time?
How many hours should the refugium get?
Sorry for all the questions

melypr1985

Originally Posted by MyTicketin.com
http:///forum/post/3152863
How long should the Mh be on per day?
How long should the compact tubes be on.
Should they be on at diffrent times or the same time?
How many hours should the refugium get?
Sorry for all the questions
I dont have MH or anything. but from what I understand (and somebody could chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong) You turn your compacts on first to simulate the morning. Then the MH turn on for the mid-day hours along with the compacts. Then the HM turn off for the evening hours. The whole point of having the different types of bulbs in your lighting is to add color and to simulate the actual daylight action for your animals and corals.
If you read some people's build threads alot of them will say what kind of schedual they have for their lights.... or you could ask them (since I dont have personal experience with it) what kind of schedual they keep their lights on. I only know what I've read and asked. I do know that it doesn't matter if your light schedual matches the actual time outside. you could have your tank start it's day at midnight.
On the refuge I keep mine on an opposite schedual from my display lights. It really depends on the type of macro algea you have in there. I use cheato so it has to have day light and night time. Some macros need to have the lights on all the time to keep them from going a-sexual (no I dont remember what kind it is or why that happens.) There are much smarter people than me to answer these questions but I thought I would give it a shot. Good luck!

koon7

Heres my lighting schedule,
Compacts on at 10am
Halides on at 1130am
halides off at 645pm
compacts off at 745pm
refugium always on
I would suggests small/non-aggressive fish first like chromis's, blennies, firefish, gobies in general, or a fairy wrasse.

Originally Posted by koon7
http:///forum/post/3154075
Heres my lighting schedule,
Compacts on at 10am
Halides on at 1130am
halides off at 645pm
compacts off at 745pm
refugium always on
I would suggests small/non-aggressive fish first like chromis's, blennies, firefish, gobies in general, or a fairy wrasse.
Yesterday I added,
watchmen goby
blennie
wrasse
If they do well, I will add 4 more fish next 2 weeks. Any suggestions?