Newbie is allllll confused!

tpnel

Hi everyone! I recently decided to convert my FW 55 to SW. This is how far I have gotten... I am running a canister filter and 1 powerhead. I have ordered a skimmer and another powerhead that should be here on Mon. I am currently using tap water and have Chemi Pure in the canister filter until I can get a RO unit. And here is where my confusion get serious!
I have approx. 15 lbs of base rock and purchased 60+ lbs of rock that at one point was live rock but had been left out to dry. I've been reading everything possible about live rock and have come to the conclusion that my dried up live rock is essentially dirty base rock... how far off am I?
I placed the base rock and about 35 lbs of the dried up rock in the tank, then added CaribSea Fiji Pink Aragalive Sand. The tank has been set up this way for a week and has begun to cycle.
My biggest question is do I need to seed my rock with wet live rock and if so when would be the best time to do that. I am really afraid I made a mistake by using the dried live rock since it was such a good deal.
Any other suggestions would be great!!

hollisterchick

no matter what... it WILL take some time for rock to become "live rock." but if you do put some live rock in there it can help the process move a long a little more. but that's just my opinion. but just be careful for hitch hikers.

tpnel

I am totally prepared to wait! I need all the time I can get to read and research more. I plan on getting some live rock from my LFS but wasn't sure at what point to add it, after the tank cycles? and how much should I get?

meowzer

If you are going to add more Live rock....do it now....this way you will not start your initial cycle over and over

tpnel

I'll head to the LFS for live rock tomorrow! Once my tank has completed it's cycle will it be ready for a CUC? and a fish?

meowzer

Originally Posted by tpnel
http:///forum/post/3239768
I'll head to the LFS for live rock tomorrow! Once my tank has completed it's cycle will it be ready for a CUC? and a fish?
LOL...As Joe would say...you NEVER want your cycle to end (you know cycle of life...)
ANYWAY...Do you have a test kit? Once your ammonia, nitrites and trates al lreach 0, and stay there for a few days, that is when you begin to add your cuc...slowly.....test...add some more.....test...add a fish

Do you have any clue what you want to keep in it yet?

hollisterchick

once it completes the cycle then yes you can start with a fish... try to buy one fish at a time... if you buy more at the same time... they are likely to feel stressed out and may jump... they say damsels are always good for beginners... but they ARE aggressive fish... and once you put them in there they will be hard to take out. they are really smart and fast... i know... i had to take out all of my rocks and most of the water to catch them... GOOD LUCK!

tpnel

I have been using test strips but I ordered a API Saltwater Master Test Kit.
I'd really like to get a blenny or goby to start with. I have a very limited selection of fish to pick from in my area and overnight shipping isn't usually an option here in ND, not to mention it's still far too cold to order any fish.
Another stupid question... what if I didn't seed my rock? would it ever grow coralline algae on it? I'm scared to death of bad hitch hikers!

ibanez

Originally Posted by hollisterchick
http:///forum/post/3239777
once it completes the cycle then yes you can start with a fish... try to buy one fish at a time... if you buy more at the same time... they are likely to feel stressed out and may jump... they say damsels are always good for beginners... but they ARE aggressive fish... and once you put them in there they will be hard to take out. they are really smart and fast... i know... i had to take out all of my rocks and most of the water to catch them... GOOD LUCK!
Unless you absolutely must have damsels because they are your favorite fish, I wouldn't get one. They totally limit what kind of fish you can put in your tank and they can be a nightmare to remove. The only damsel I would suggest are clown fish species which are in the same family. Also, +1 on adding more live rock now if you want to add more live rock at all.

ibanez

Originally Posted by tpnel
http:///forum/post/3239783
I have been using test strips but I ordered a API Saltwater Master Test Kit.
I'd really like to get a blenny or goby to start with. I have a very limited selection of fish to pick from in my area and overnight shipping isn't usually an option here in ND, not to mention it's still far too cold to order any fish.
Another stupid question... what if I didn't seed my rock? would it ever grow coralline algae on it? I'm scared to death of bad hitch hikers!
Bad hitchhikers are just part of the hobby, you will encounter them sooner or later. I wouldn't be overly worried about it, just inspect it regularly so you could treat any problems before they get too big.

ibanez

Also, the best time to inspect the liverock for hitchhikers is after the lights go out, come down a couple hours later with a flashlight.

meowzer

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3239805
Also, the best time to inspect the liverock for hitchhikers is after the lights go out, come down a couple hours later with a flashlight.
SO TRUE.....sometimes night time viewing is the best

mony97

Welcome to the boards tpnel, and also good posts so far!! You seem to have done some research and are prepaired to move slow, if you keep moving in this direction you'll have a very happy and healthy tank :)
You also mentioned you wanted either a Goby or a Blenny look into the Midas Blenny there are one of my favorites.. And for LR I bought the Figi stuff off this site and was very pleased!! you could try 5-10lbs worth or what ever the smallest weight is, I have had no unwanted guests so far (fingers crossed, oh and knock on wood).
And last where in ND are you?

florida joe

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3239767
If you are going to add more Live rock....do it now....this way you will not start your initial cycle over and over
what The lovely lady means is if you have die off on your rock you may see an additional spike in ammonia if your cured rock come from a LFS close by you may not in fact have any die off

flower

Welcome to the site!
As long as your dry live rock was not put in freshwater it is still live rock. Tiny critters lay eggs that go dormant. Fiji rock is best and most expensive. I handpicked each of my rocks, I chose pieces with as much purple as I could find.
Coraline algae will grow no matter what. Time…it all takes lots of time.
Test strips are useless. Get a good marine master test kit.
Make sure your rock is UNDER the sand, otherwise sand diggers will topple the rock which could kill critters or break the tank. Make sure your rock is very stable. Lock each piece into place by gently twisting and turning, you will feel it “lock” and it won’t move anymore.
If you plan on coral, make some large overhangs or a cave, not all coral wants or needs bright lights, and this will allow you more variety. Now is the time to plan out such things. Leave lots of nooks and crannies for fish to swim around and through and have plenty of hiding places.
VERY IMPORTANT! Choose your favorite fish that can be kept in your size tank, it will dictate everything else you will be able to put in the tank later, from CUC to other fish.
I converted from fresh as well….

tpnel

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3239805
I am sure I'll be spending many hours day and night staring into the tank... I already do and it's only sand and rock!