Newbie Nano Tank

canisee2

Originally Posted by Squiddly
Well, you guys got me to thinking, so when a friend had a tank he wanted to unload, along with the filter, stand, lights, hood, etc. etc., guess who bought it? 120 gallons. I figure that I will move the 3 clown out in about a month after things settle in with the tank. I get it tomorrow, and will put some of the live sand, live rock, and new filter media in tomorrow and start it running. Then the live rock and live sand from saltwaterfish.com should arrive on Wednesday and I'll add that in and keep things going til we have a good cycle. I'm planning a FOWLR set up in the 120 until I have a good handle on corals and anemones.
Meantime, the 24 has decided to begin growing that brown algae stuff on the inside of the glass, on the sand, and on the filter intake. I have 10 hermits, and hopefully still 10 snails after the hermit vs. snail civil war. Is there anything else I should add that likes to munch on the algae? I don't mind cleaning it, but I can see that if I don't keep up with it, things might not look too good.
And then I will check into saltwater anonymous and admit my problem :)
That sounds good to me and also i think emrald crabs eat algea but im not sure.

Austin

nygel

lettuce nudibranchs are supposed to be great algae eaters (they aren't real nudibranchs, so before some says something about dying and poisoning the tank, they don't)

zanski

CANISEE2. What LFS'S do you go to in GA, just curious if im missing out on anything... I go to Imagine Ocean in Canton for knowlege. Marine Fish in Marietta for fish. Finally, Cappuccino Bay in Marietta for coral's and anemone's. What stores do you like for various things THANKS!!!
Dustin

canisee2

Originally Posted by Zanski
CANISEE2. What LFS'S do you go to in GA, just curious if im missing out on anything... I go to Imagine Ocean in Canton for knowlege. Marine Fish in Marietta for fish. Finally, Cappuccino Bay in Marietta for coral's and anemone's. What stores do you like for various things THANKS!!!
Dustin

Hello dustin i go to aquaruaim showcase in alphereta it is a very nice place but they can be on the exspinsive side but i think its work it there fish selection is great and they have a 500 + corals
and alot of fish there fish always look healthy. I used to volentoer(sp.) there when another guy owned it and they take pride and joy into what they do also they are some of the only fish stores that know what they are talking about
Austin

nudilove

Lettuce nudibranchs only eat specific types of hair algae. If you put one it it will starve.
It is in fact a real nudibranch, just not one that happens to poison things.
The brown algae is Diatomacious, it will soon go away on its own. I recommend being ready to move all of your corals if you have any until the bubble finds its spot, start cycling the 120 ASAP, the clowns will start the killing spree sooner rather than later.

squiddly

Yes, I'm cycling the 120 now. Meantime, looks like I'm losing my purple lobster. Water chemistry is fine, but he's laying on his back right now on some rocks. I tried to take him out thinking he was dead, but he moved. So I put him back. LFS said I can't do anything but turn out the lights and hope for the best. Poor guy. I think it's indigestion after he murdered a peppermint lobster last night.
Meantime, 120 has been quite the fun time. Husband turned on the pumps and walked away. Yep, reverse siphon. Rug might be a gonner. I rinsed the non live sand before putting it in, then added live sand and live rock. Place looks like a brown out :). Hopefully that will be ok soon.
It's not just a hobby. It's an indenture. I'm going to need another job to pay for all this.

squiddly

It actually seems to work pretty well. It creates foam in the collection cup, and it has brought down the overall nitrate level in the tank. I found that I had to position the top above the waterline in order for it to work properly.