Newbie Questions!!!!!

brolik1

PLEASE HELP DECIDING BETWEEN FILTERS.I NOW HAVE THE PENGUIN BIO WHEEL 125 AND ITS PRODUCING ALOT OF NITRATE ,BUT LOOKING INTO GETTING AQUACLEAR 50.IM DOING MODS TO IT.IM NOT GOING TO USE THE CARBON THE FILTER COMES WITH SO IM REPLACING IT WITH KENT REEF CARBON AND ADDING PHOSPHATE PAD TO IT.
1)WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CHANGE THE FILTER?
2)DO I JUST TAKE OFF THE BIO WHEEL, OR TAKE MY SKIMMER OFF, AND RUN BOTH FILTERS FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR 2 AND THEN PLACE THEM IN?
:help: :help:

E

exile415

I don't really know much about HOB filters, But I've heard that bio-wheel filters are actually good for your tank. It takes away nitrates .. etc. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have never used a biowheel filter.
I have a aquaclear 150 and a Whisper 15. Both Aren't biowheel filters. I have no problem. it's a 5gallon tank
Also, When you use CAP LOCK it sounds more like your yelling at us. So don't use caps.

S

sinner's girl

What's bad about bio-wheels? I thought they were good?

E

exile415

i've always thought they remove nitrates and ammonia .. or maybe i'm wrong

lionfish99

I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 125 on my 30 gallon and a Penguin Bio-Wheel Mini on my 10 gallon I love them. I wouldn't use anything else on a small tank. They are great! I havn't had Ammonia or Nitrite since I first cycled and the highest my Nitrate has ever gone is 35ppm. I say go with the Bio-Wheel!!!
Your Nitrates could be coming from a diffrent source not the Bio-Wheel. If you have CC that would do it. But I know its not the Bio-Wheel.
Just keep swimming :happyfish

bchdfldian

First... just as a note... I only ever read the first few words of a post in all capital letters. It just hurts my eyes and is annoying.
Now on to your filter...
You don't need a filter if you have live rock and live sand.
I actually use a simple power hang on back filter when cycling my tanks until algae starts to grow, then i toss it in to the closet.

airforceb2

Originally Posted by nanoreef
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER
USE A BIO-WHEEL

just my 1 cent

Why wouldn't you? It houses bacteria colonies that takes care of your nitrates.

brolik1

hey guys
first of all Im sorry for the caps lock situation.I do have LS and LR but ever since my bio wheel has colonized bacteria my nitrates started going up to 10 then i did a water change and wentdown to zero,all of a sudden a week after that water change it rose up to 80ppm.so from my diagnostics it should be that when my bio wheel colonized it caused my nitrate to rise.
I just want to know if people agree with me or not! Its that everyday i wake up im always nervous that my sand sifter gobie or firefish or cleaner shrimp are dead and I want to stop being paranoid and start enjoying my beautiful fish,they have grown to be like my own children and i cant even think about them dead or waking up and finding one of them layed on his side not breathing.please i need expert advice and comments,
My chemicals are
ph 8.2
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 80
calcium 440
temp 79-80 f
:help: :mad: :notsure: :mad: :help:

E

exile415

how much do you feed ?
Who lives in the tank ?
How much LR
how much LS

birdy

Along with the above questions, do you have a protein skimmer?
With enough LR/LS and flow in the tank all you really need is a good protein skimmer. A HOB filter can be very useful for running Carbon, phosphate remover and filter pads as needed.
You can just remove the biowheels on the penguin if you have enough LR/LS. I doubt they are contributing to your nitrate problem though.

brolik1

I feed once a day,I have a seaclone 100 skimmer,aquaclear powerhead 20,penguin 125 bio wheel filter.
my inhabitants are:
1 sandsifter gobie
1 firefish
2 turbo snails
and I had a cleaner shrimp but passed away today becuase of my high nitrate(80ppm)
20 pounds of ls,12 pounds of lr(I know I need more rock but I dont want to add more because I want to take care of my high nitrates before adding more items.)at this time I dont know what to do.Im considering buying the new filter and trying to see if it works or do you guys think I should scrub my rock down with rock prep, change the filter, and add more LR at the same time? please guys im a frustrated hobbyst who needs help.If you dont agree with my filter of choice I would be glad if you guys know a good 3 stage filter from a range between $20-$40. :help: :help:

jr1053

I used to use the largest Aquaclear in my freshwater tank I think it was called the 500 at the time and it was easy to service and worked very, very well for mechanical and chemical filtration. That being said I really think that you're barking up the wrong tree regarding the source of your nitrate problem. Something else must have changed in your tank to account for the spike in the nitrates. Don't just blame the equipment and buy some other product but keep searching for the real reason your water quality has worsened. Good luck...
John

brolik1

Originally Posted by jr1053
I used to use the largest Aquaclear in my freshwater tank I think it was called the 500 at the time and it was easy to service and worked very, very well for mechanical and chemical filtration. That being said I really think that you're barking up the wrong tree regarding the source of your nitrate problem. Something else must have changed in your tank to account for the spike in the nitrates. Don't just blame the equipment and buy some other product but keep searching for the real reason your water quality has worsened. Good luck...
John
thanks alot,Ive been doing some research and looking and reading until it burns my eyes,i have read that sometimes you can overwhealm your tank with bacteria.meaning that if you have sufficient bacteria and you have more than what you need it can spike your nitrate levels.Ever since my bio wheel has colonized(turned brown)my nitrate levels wen t up by tens every week but now I am going to remove the bio wheel and perform a water change and insert my new filter with phosphate pad and kent reef carbon.I took pictures of my rock b/c i noticed white jell things in the bottom.the lfs said that my rocks are growing sponges and tube worms which is a good thing. my sandsifter gobie died this morning.but ill keep you informed on my progress.

brolik1

hey on august 2 i purchased the aquaclear 50 w/ phosphate pad and kent reef carbon.as soon as I got home I replaced it and did a 6 gallon water change in my 20 gallon and waited 2 hours after I added the water and tested for nitrates it went down to 40 ppm which is the lowest Ive seen it since the beginning of july.Im quite happy but want to get it down to atleast 10 ppm.so conducting another water change tomorrow.

nanoreef

Originally Posted by airforceb2
Why wouldn't you? It houses bacteria colonies that takes care of your nitrates.
Iam not meaning to yell
sorry if i offended any 1

and i say not to use a bio wheel beacuse on a "sw" tank they can become a nitraite factory sp?
Just my passed experiences