Newbie's 20G

brightone

Hi everyone; I am brand new to Saltwater Tanks. I have been doing a ton of research and found a fish store I like. I just found this forum and hope to learn a lot.
Here are a few pictures of my new tank. It has been running for 3 days now and specific gravity is perfect so I added one Blue Devil Damselfish to start my cycling process. In a few days I will start to add some live rocks!

Before anyone says anything I am going to buy a brush and wipe the sand off the sides of the tank.

corbeaner

you're supposed to cycle the tank with the live rock until the all your water paremeters are ok then add a fish. The damsel is probably going to die if you add live rock while its in there, but either way the damsel will die. you need to do more research.

flricordia

Besides what corbeaner said best to wipe the sides with your clean hand or there may be a grain of sand large enough to scratch the glass.
Really do need to return the damsel and get your live rock in there to cycle the tank. You want the live rock to become the major colonizer for the benificial bacteria load and you won't be able to do that until it is in there cycling. The fish may help colonize the sandbed if you had planned on leaving it in there after it dies. You would still have to add the live rock and let it cycle though for a coouple weeks at the min. afterward.

silverdak

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2661372
Besides what corbeaner said best to wipe the sides with your clean hand or there may be a grain of sand large enough to scratch the glass.
Really do need to return the damsel and get your live rock in there to cycle the tank. You want the live rock to become the major colonizer for the benificial bacteria load and you won't be able to do that until it is in there cycling. The fish may help colonize the sandbed if you had planned on leaving it in there after it dies. You would still have to add the live rock and let it cycle though for a coouple weeks at the min. afterward.
yup I am also new... make sure you read your books, without books and info that way you might kill off a more expensive fish which wouldn't be good at all. lots of people will rush the cycle... not a great idea, I believe my cycle is done.. still going to wait another couple weeks before adding livestock tho just to make sure it can support life. Flricordia has great advice! I would recommended getting about 10-15 pounds of base rock (usually $3-$4 a pound) then another 10-15 of live rock (usually $7-$15 a pound), the live rock will eventually turn the base rock into live rock and save you some money along the way. but if your looking to get fish in the tank as soon as possible.. then you should go with all LR and LS. just my minimal words of wisdom tho...

brightone

Originally Posted by corbeaner
http:///forum/post/2661362
you're supposed to cycle the tank with the live rock until the all your water paremeters are ok then add a fish. The damsel is probably going to die if you add live rock while its in there, but either way the damsel will die. you need to do more research.

I read that you are suppose to start to cycle with live rock on here. I went to a couple fish stores around here and a lot of the guys use the Black Damsels. I also read that you start the cycle with Damsels so I think its preference.
I don't plan on letting her die BTW. That is why I went with the less aggressive Damsel but hardy.
Originally Posted by Flricordia

http:///forum/post/2661372
Good tip thanks. If you look in one of the pictures you can see where I used my hand in the corner. I plan to cycle for 3 weeks

Originally Posted by corbeaner
http:///forum/post/2661902
also, you shouldn't believe everything you see or hear at a fish store.
Not always true, but unfortunately some are in it to sell and not for the hobbyist.
Don't cycle the tank with a damsel. It's not preference, it's stupid. Get some LR and LS and wait for it to cycle. You'll need to test your parameters or have your LFS do it for you.
For some reason I can see you spending/wasting a lot of money only to end up killing your livestock.

ci11337

Never trust a LFS, double check everything on here first. Cycling with a damsel won't work without LR in there anyway. A LFS is a business they are trying to make money, most couldn't care less about how your tank goes. One LFS sold me a yellow tang and a few corals the day after my cycle finished. (i have a 55 and at the time it had normal 40 watt lighting) That night i found this site, realized they screwed me, and went back to he store. First thing they did was try and sell me a $250 light fixture. I never went back there. I found a LFS that is much better, but i still don't trust them entirely. In this hobby you can never go by what just one person, book, or LFS says, they will all tell you something different. It takes loads of time browsing the boards to get a feel for what works and what dosen't. I know you probably won't listen to us, they never do at first.(they seem to wait until after the tank crashes) I'm just trying to save you from going through what i did. Even now, 3 years after storming out of that LFS, my tank still isn't what it could be because they recommended crushed coral instead of sand so my tank has algae issues. You will end up killing alot of critters and blowing alot of cash if you put all your eggs in one basket. Anyway, best of luck to ya.

ci11337

now that i've gone through my little "never trust a LFS" speech I'll give some advice. First off, what kind of filter is that? It looks like one of those skimmer/filter combos. they aren't great, but it should be sufficient for a 20g. you will also need to regulate the temp. a thermometer, heater, and possibly a fan, just make sure the temp stays relatively stable around 78* I'm assuming this is a fish only tank, (a good choice atleast for a while) so i won't go into reef parameters. I would take back the damsel and get like 25lbs of LR and powerhead to move water around the tank and through the LR. After your tank has cycled add a few small fish. (one or two at a time) Damsels are pretty aggressive. I would recommend a firefsh, a clown, a neon goby, a pajama cardinal, and a smaller sandsifting goby.(that would be FULLY stocked and is assuming you have a protein skimmer of some kind) These fish are bulletproof and will get along. if you have any other questions just post them and people will answer based on their experience.

ci11337

Even if a LFS is 100% right i would still not go by just them. Plus if you don't check you would never know that they are right.

brightone

Thanks ci11337, btw I have some family in Rochester. I plan on having corals, rocks, and a few fish. I am just going to add the stuff very, very slowly. I will monitor the temperature. I was thinking with the lighting I have (light is on for longer than 8 hrs) and room temp around 73 it should be good.
You are correct sir my filter is an over sized skilter (skimmer/filter combo). I am hoping it works since my tank is 20 gallons. What is a power head and should I buy all 25 lbs of live rock at once?

ci11337

Does the last name Adams mean anything to you? I would keep it as a fish only with LR for a while. Once you add corals there is a whole bunch more stuff to worry about. What light fixture do you have? You will probably need a heater in winter and a fan in summer but like i said just keep it stable around 78* (doesn't really matter how you do it) A power head is nothing more than a submersible pump that moves the water around. I prefer to get all the rock at once, only because it makes it easier to get a cool aquascape. Also i thought i should mention even though i said to wait on corals for a while there are some corals that are so easy to keep you wouldn't have to do anything special at all. Corals on this list are all soft corals, some mushrooms and polyps would brighten your tank up nicely. (once your cycle is finished)

ced935

Welcome to the hobby!
I am a newbie myself but I have already learned to not trust LFS completly. While there MAY be a slight chance of your damsel living; the odds or not in his favor. I would definatly take him out now while there is no live rock in there and he can be easily caught. (I had to completly tear down my 100 gal to get 5 out).
Research everything before you buy. Those stickys at the top of the New Hobbiest thread are very helpful.
Good luck

kellenr

OMG. I don't even know where to begin. I'm really holding back here.
Ok. I don't think you've done ANY research on here as you claim, from what I see it looks like you're doing the exact opposite. What are you cycling? Your water column? You need live rock and live sand in there first. That is your filtration media that will provide surface area to host nitrifying bacteria. That little dinky filter you have on there is useless. You need a much larger/better filter, ESPECIALLY since you have no live rock in there.
You say the specific gravity was perfect so you added a damsel?? LOL. First off specific gravity is the salt content of the water, its whatever you make it. You need to wait until your Ammonia=0 and Nitrites=0 before you add fish. You think it'll live? U serious? Not only is it not gonna live, its gonna die within 4 days, guaranteed. You say 'I plan on cycling for 3 weeks'. Thats not up to you, thats up to your tank. Could take 7 weeks in your case or could take 5.
Blue damsels are very aggressive and very territorial, in a 20g tank thats gonna be your only livestock.
You also mention you're going to add corals slowly and really watch the temperature? Temp is the last thing YOU need to worry about. 1st is water quality, 2nd is lighting. You need to research WAY more before you're gonna do anything here. You're gonna need to know what your Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, Phosphates, Calcium & dKH are at and how to adjust them before you add corals. Do you even know what these levels are at now or even have a test kit? I'm guessing no. And fork out $3 and get a thermometer, saying your house is 73*F so your tank should be good is rediculous.
You have nothing in your tank except water, sand and a damsel. This is very irresponsible way of starting out. I see a long road ahead.
Your missing all kinds of key elements here. Where's the powerhead?? Whats your filtration? What are your levels at? I'm not trying to be rude, really, I just cant tolerate carelessness and the lack of responsibility.
You need to read more, I can see you jumped right in head over heels without the proper knowledge and equipment.
You need a heater, thermometer, powerhead (or 2), 20+lbs. LR, 20+lbs. LS, better filter and basic test kits. All that needs to be put in right now. Having all of that is the start of the cycling process. After this damsel dies, dont put anything else in there at least until your Ammonia & Nitrites are at 0.

brightone

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2668465
OMG. I don't even know where to begin. I'm really holding back here.
Ok. I don't think you've done ANY research on here as you claim, from what I see it looks like you're doing the exact opposite. What are you cycling? Your water column? You need live rock and live sand in there first. That is your filtration media that will provide surface area to host nitrifying bacteria. That little dinky filter you have on there is useless. You need a much larger/better filter, ESPECIALLY since you have no live rock in there.
You say the specific gravity was perfect so you added a damsel?? LOL. First off specific gravity is the salt content of the water, its whatever you make it. You need to wait until your Ammonia=0 and Nitrites=0 before you add fish. You think it'll live? U serious? Not only is it not gonna live, its gonna die within 4 days, guaranteed. You say 'I plan on cycling for 3 weeks'. Thats not up to you, thats up to your tank. Could take 7 weeks in your case or could take 5.
Blue damsels are very aggressive and very territorial, in a 20g tank thats gonna be your only livestock.
You also mention you're going to add corals slowly and really watch the temperature? Temp is the last thing YOU need to worry about. 1st is water quality, 2nd is lighting. You need to research WAY more before you're gonna do anything here. You're gonna need to know what your Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, Phosphates, Calcium & dKH are at and how to adjust them before you add corals. Do you even know what these levels are at now or even have a test kit? I'm guessing no. And fork out $3 and get a thermometer, saying your house is 73*F so your tank should be good is rediculous.
You have nothing in your tank except water, sand and a damsel. This is very irresponsible way of starting out. I see a long road ahead.
Your missing all kinds of key elements here. Where's the powerhead?? Whats your filtration? What are your levels at? I'm not trying to be rude, really, I just cant tolerate carelessness and the lack of responsibility.
You need to read more, I can see you jumped right in head over heels without the proper knowledge and equipment.
You need a heater, thermometer, powerhead (or 2), 20+lbs. LR, 20+lbs. LS, better filter and basic test kits. All that needs to be put in right now. Having all of that is the start of the cycling process. After this damsel dies, dont put anything else in there at least until your Ammonia & Nitrites are at 0.
Please chill out I am new to this. First of all the temperature was the last thing I was worried about until someone else said to watch it. Why should I worry about temperature if I have nothing in the tank yet?

It has been a week now and the damsel is doing great. I did one water change before I added 20 pounds of Live Rock, which has been in the tank for one day now. I am going to start testing the water now and charting the spikes.
Once again, I do not plan on her dieing. Oh and I will pick up a thermometer today.