Newest Addition to My Tank.

d12monkey

ophiura
Got a question for you, ;-) since you're the brittle star expert and to me that's close enough. What do you think the probability of creating a large netted and reinforced enclosure and taking it out to where I found the star.
:thinking: Wonder if it would survive a couple of cuttings, since echinoderms can regenrate lost parts.
What do you think LOL??? Worth a try? Might have me a collection of these stars. Possible was to propagate these enough for research or for interested aquaria enthusists.

minitrucke

Im all for fragging things and Id love to have one of those as well but I have to agree man, dont cut that star fish up. Its too bad*** to do that.

ophiura

I don't think it is a good idea at all. First, not all stars easily regenerate additional stars...you would have to know exactly how much of the central area is required to do this. Linckia types stars are an exception as they can regenerate from an arm tip, but not these guys....
Seastars with such damage would need a lot of food so they would need to be fed very often which would not be practical.
Scientists may not be interested in what are basically "cloned" animals. Often they want a more diverse sample size to study some of the genetic or physiological things they may be working on. These animals have been seen alive before, but are just not caught in large enough numbers to do research on them.
Finally, it would take a long time for this to work (for them to regenerate)...it would not be economically feasible. I suspect you would get two stars if you cut them in half...probably, but not definitely. Big shock. One or both may die from it. Then, there is the cost of diving there at least once or twice a week for many months if not longer. Then there is the cost of food for them. Can you imagine the sale price?

d12monkey

Ok ok I get the picture guys. Not going to attempt anything like this. LOL
;-) But I'm on a side note.
I dive that area at least 2 times a week. :p So that isn't a prob. :D The dive site has plenty of life in it. Hence food wouldn't be a prob, since on speared fish would be there for a while LOL. The only real cost would've been the construction of a caged area.
Benefit of being a diving instructor and helping run a dive shop.
:yes: But you guys are right, it's too gorgeous to attempt it.
:thinking: Sorry guys.. Guess you can't have one like me.

Don't worry I'll be on the look out for some more. Just incase.
Opihura: I guess only way to find out --- of this star is by disection huh? Don't worry ain't gonna try it. :hilarious

minitrucke

Just a question, In florida what all do you need to have in order to go collect things from the ocean? Any kind of licence or what? Ill be going to Oceanside california pretty soon and I want to see what all I can find. I would only be snorkling since i dont scuba.

ophiura

Keep in mind that the temperature is critical. I think average CA water temps are much cooler than our reef temps. Such animals probably won't survive in our tanks. But definitely look into getting permits and stuff. Also a guide book to some animals. Many snails, for example, may be predatory.

ophiura

Originally posted by D12monkey
[B But I'm on a side note.
I dive that area at least 2 times a week. :p So that isn't a prob.
Benefit of being a diving instructor and helping run a dive shop.
[/B]
Hey, don't rub it in! :D

d12monkey

Originally posted by minitrucke
Just a question, In florida what all do you need to have in order to go collect things from the ocean? Any kind of licence or what? Ill be going to Oceanside california pretty soon and I want to see what all I can find. I would only be snorkling since i dont scuba.

In Florida all you need is a fishing lisence and a list of non collectable stuff. So you can reference what you can keep or not. I don't know about the rules in CA but I would definately agree with Ophiura, make sure you get all the permits and a guide book.
Also Temp is very critical. AS Ophiura stated... I believe the average temp in the Pacific coast is 55 degrees, But don't quote me on that. Been in the water's of of Peru, Some very interesting stuff down there but quite a bit chilly. Min temp I had got was 50 degrees. So not only are you going to need the equip to pull the water temp in your tank down quite a bit, you will need to have livestock that can tolerate those temp requirements. Also you WILL need a wetsuit of at least 1/4" in thickness, and that's if you can handle cold water. The Pacific coast is usually Dry suit water climate. And you need vvery specialized training to use one.
Keep these things in mind when you go over.

d12monkey

update on the star....
It's been moved into my 29 gal tank with the 550 watts of MH and VHOs. The star is doing great in this tank and apparently seems to like sponges.
But it's been eating eating shrimps that I place in the tank. :D :D The other fish are jealous in the special treatment it's getting.
It's actually become fairly active in the tanks. Will post pictures of the Star when I get home. ::rolleyes: currently at work.
Got some cool looking pictures of the star fr you guys to look at.

balistikb

D12monkey
Great star, hows it doing?
I live in Plantation where do you dive?
What fish stores would you recomend to a newbie?