Newest additions.Clam and Chalice

novahobbies

Nice Chalice! I'd love to keep one, but every chalice frag I've tried has bleached out. I've tried them a couple times in my horse tank under 150w MH. It's a 24" tall tank, and I've tried them mid-level, low level, shaded, and even up high. If you've kept them before, can you give me any pointers? I'd love to keep a large chalice in my 110g display, but I'm afraid my LEDs would fry the heck out of it!

srt8

This is my first Chalice,I've had pretty good luck with most of my corals so far.So what do you think caused the loss. Too intense of light? Because I also use LEDS

novahobbies

The chalices I had were in the seahorse tank, which has a 150w MH bulb and two 14w actinic T5s. I wouldn't have thought that this would be too much light, but I suppose it's possible. I have LEDs (two CCLEDFs) over my 110g tank, and I've been hesitant to try chalices because I KNOW my LEDs have bleached out some low-light LPS corals before. So I'm very interested to see how yours does....it looks beautiful, and I really hope yours does well.
Other possible reasons my chalices never made it in the horse tank: Seahorses are messy, and there is always a 20-30 average ppm Nitrate level in there. Caulerpa macro in the tank might be releasing a chemical that affects the chalice more than any other coral in the tank. There are minimal phosphate readings (low due to the macro's uptake) and the temperature might have been too low for their long-term care as well....horse tank is 74-75 degrees, never more than 75.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/394152/newest-additions-clam-and-chalice#post_3508106
The chalices I had were in the seahorse tank, which has a 150w MH bulb and two 14w actinic T5s. I wouldn't have thought that this would be too much light, but I suppose it's possible. I have LEDs (two CCLEDFs) over my 110g tank, and I've been hesitant to try chalices because I KNOW my LEDs have bleached out some low-light LPS corals before. So I'm very interested to see how yours does....it looks beautiful, and I really hope yours does well.
Other possible reasons my chalices never made it in the horse tank: Seahorses are messy, and there is always a 20-30 average ppm Nitrate level in there. Caulerpa macro in the tank might be releasing a chemical that affects the chalice more than any other coral in the tank. There are minimal phosphate readings (low due to the macro's uptake) and the temperature might have been too low for their long-term care as well....horse tank is 74-75 degrees, never more than 75.
I believe you have your reason why it didn't make it.

srt8

I moved the chalice to the near bottom,was seeing early stress , I think the light was too intense near the top. Hope it helps.

novahobbies

Hope so too! I have my Favites all the way on the bottom and even partially shaded, and it's still a little faded in areas where the light is hitting directly. We really need to band together and get a SWF.com forum PAR meter that we loan around to members with a collateral payment. I'd love to know what my PAR is for these lights.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/394152/newest-additions-clam-and-chalice#post_3508714
Hope so too! I have my Favites all the way on the bottom and even partially shaded, and it's still a little faded in areas where the light is hitting directly. We really need to band together and get a SWF.com forum PAR meter that we loan around to members with a collateral payment. I'd love to know what my PAR is for these lights.
+1

srt8

Yes, I would like to know just how intense my LEDs really are. I mean the box said good for all soft corals but I have a acropora frag that seems to do well under them

gemmy

Looks like crocea clam to me.
Rick, I have a booger sized miami hurricane chalice if you want to test it out in your tank. I was never able to keep chalices until I got LED's and got rid of my starry blenny and lemon peel angel.