News flash: the war in Iraq is NOT a war against terror

scubadoo

I would agree the plan as posted has merit. However, as pointed out..that plan is not what many in oppisition are saying.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by jones
And I'm also not saying that no democrat has called for "immediate" withdraw, just that I haven't seen it. There are a lot of democrats out there, it's entirely possible. I'm sure someone around here would be happy to find the quotes if they have. It wouldn't change my opinion on the matter however.
Ask and ye shall receive...
AP
(12/05/05 -- WASHINGTON) - Democratic Chairman Howard Dean on Monday likened the war in Iraq to Vietnam and said, "The idea that the United States is going to win the war in Iraq is just plain wrong," comments that drew immediate fire from Republicans.
In an interview with WOAI-AM in San Antonio, Dean criticized what he called President Bush's "permanent commitment to a failed strategy" while saying, "We need to be out of there and take the targets off our troops back." Dean recalled that the strategy to stay the course in Vietnam cost thousands more lives to be lost.
"I wish the president had paid more attention to the history of Iraq before we had gotten in there," Dean said. "The idea that we're going to win this war is just plain wrong."
Republican Chairman Ken Mehlman said Dean's "outrageous prediction sends the wrong message to our troops, the enemy, and the Iraqi people just 10 days before historic elections."

scubadoo

Pelosi Backs Murtha Call for U.S. Withdrawal
By Erin P. Billings
Roll Call Staff
Wednesday, Nov. 30
In a move likely to cause a stir among members of her divided Democratic Caucus, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) on Wednesday endorsed fellow Democratic Rep. John Murtha’s (Pa.) recent call to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq as soon as possible.

scubadoo

. It wouldn't change my opinion on the matter however.
Lack of consideration for an oppsing view..was I not called ignoarnt for this?

jones

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Lack of consideration for an oppsing view..was I not called ignoarnt for this?

nice try but no.
"And I'm also not saying that no democrat has called for "immediate" withdraw, just that I haven't seen it. There are a lot of democrats out there, it's entirely possible. I'm sure someone around here would be happy to find the quotes if they have. It wouldn't change my opinion on the matter however."
^^^ that's the quote youre refering to
I've already stated that I don't regard Immediate withdraw as a plausible option in a previous post, if you were paying attention. I HAVE considered the immediate withdraw idea and don't agree with it. I only stated here that I haven't seen that as a big push(thats what this post was refering to) by the democrats, but if some HAVE been quoted as saying they want "immediate" withdraw, my position wouldnt change simply based on the fact that they called for it. Thats not ignorant, that's refusing to fall into line to conform with a single politician or a party. It's called thinking for yourself.
I think that your continued habit of quoting out of context, and being unable, apparently, to keep up with the ideas and thoughts put forth on this thread in an ordered fashion so you don't loose your place and forget the context of the very things you quote may indeed suggest a bit of ignorance yes.

jones

Ask and ye shall receive...
Are you kidding me? I said i wanted to hear quotes from those who call for "immediate" withdraw, and you bring me this? I listed the quotes in what you gave me, nowhere does it say immediate withdraw, theres one prediction of his (the last quote) but thats not a plan or a strategy.
"The idea that the United States is going to win the war in Iraq is just plain wrong,"
Dean criticized what he called President Bush's "permanent commitment to a failed strategy"
We need to be out of there and take the targets off our troops back."
"I wish the president had paid more attention to the history of Iraq before we had gotten in there,"
"The idea that we're going to win this war is just plain wrong."
So, again, it won't hurt my feelings one bit if a democrat called for immediate withdraw, but you certainly didn't quote that here. See my last post for the rest of my opinion on this.

jones

Pelosi Backs Murtha Call for U.S. Withdrawal
By Erin P. Billings
Roll Call Staff
Wednesday, Nov. 30
In a move likely to cause a stir among members of her divided Democratic Caucus, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) on Wednesday endorsed fellow Democratic Rep. John Murtha’s (Pa.) recent call to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq ****as soon as possible.*****
it says "as soon as possible"

scubadoo

it says "as soon as possible"
I would interpret that to mean immediate....i.e. as soon as the transportation logistics could be ironed out. I doubt they could all leave this minute...but I am sure he would support that if possiblle.
Here is a cut and paste from the letter issued by Murtha..
My plan calls:
To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.
Immediate withdrawal would mean immediate redeploy. I would not debate this would mean a 100% removal of tropps at exactly the same time. Immediate withdrawl/redeploy means we start right now planning the action and them putting the plan in motion. IOt could take months to achieve this.
I'm sure many reading this thread have the cognitive skill to understand this.....even my ignorant self can arrive at this conclusion.

jones

I would interpret that to mean immediate....i.e. as soon as the transportation logistics could be ironed out. I doubt they could all leave this minute...but I am sure he would support that if possiblle.
Here is a cut and paste from the letter issued by Murtha..
My plan calls:
To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.
Immediate withdrawal would mean immediate redeploy. I would not debate this would mean a 100% removal of tropps at exactly the same time. Immediate withdrawl/redeploy means we start right now planning the action and them putting the plan in motion. IOt could take months to achieve this.
I'm sure many reading this thread have the cognitive skill to understand this.....even my ignorant self can arrive at this conclusion.
I'm sure you're right that most people reading this have the cognitive skill to understand most of this. But apparently you don't have the cognitive skill you would like to think you have. Immediately redeploy means to send more over there right now for the safety of all of our troops. Not to bring any home immediately. Now, before you jump on that, I'm not arguing for or against any of this. Just telling you what your quote really means. He means to bring them home "as soon as practicable" is his exact quote. I would suggest you dont "interpret" what you think it means, or rather what you would like it to mean, but that you pay attention to what was actually said. I believe we've seen what happens when you start trying to interpret, you get very very lost in all the confusion. Leave it to the people who do have the cognitive skill.

scubadoo

Oh goodnes..let me try again...the view I do not consider is that those oppsed to the war on terror, that do not support the policy.....IMO..do little to support the troops and do little to discourage the terrorists.
This is why I will not consider any view whcih will discourage our tropps and encourage the terrorists. It is my conviction. My mind on the issue will not be changed..,,unless someone can convince me otherwise.
I know exactly what you meant regarding immediate withdraw and that you do not consider this an option.
I simply pointed out that you are not considering an opposing view. it was meant as a joke...but take it as you wish.
Here ya go...
16 Dems urge Bush to start pullout from Iraq
Group includes Woolsey, Stark and Lee from Bay Area
Edward Epstein, Chronicle Washington Bureau
Thursday, January 13, 2005
Washington -- Sixteen House Democrats led by Rep. Lynn Woolsey of Petaluma called on President Bush on Wednesday to begin the immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq, just as some administration supporters are starting to question the wisdom of staying the course in the war.
While it may be logistically difficult to immediately remove every American soldier, we urge you to take immediate action to begin the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq. This is the only way to truly support our troops,'' said the letter signed by Woolsey and her colleagues.

scubadoo

I'm sure you're right that most people reading this have the cognitive skill to understand most of this. But apparently you don't have the cognitive skill you would like to think you have. Immediately redeploy means to send more over there right now for the safety of all of our troops. Not to bring any home immediately. Now, before you jump on that, I'm not arguing for or against any of this. Just telling you what your quote really means. He means to bring them home "as soon as practicable" is his exact quote. I would suggest you dont "interpret" what you think it means, or rather what you would like it to mean, but that you pay attention to what was actually said. I believe we've seen what happens when you start trying to interpret, you get very very lost in all the confusion. Leave it to the people who do have the cognitive skill.
Pardon..redeploy means TO RETURN HOME NOT SEND OVER...
More form Mr Murtha
“The deployment of US forces in Iraq, by direction of Congress, is hereby terminated and the forces involved are to be redeployed at the earliest practicable date,” the text says.
Are you lost?

scubadoo

Pardon..redeploy means TO RETURN HOME NOT SEND OVER...
More form Mr Murtha
“The deployment of US forces in Iraq, by direction of Congress, is hereby terminated and the forces involved are to be redeployed at the earliest practicable date,” the text says.
Are you lost?
I actually beleive he means to send the troops elsewehre currently in Iraq ..it could mean Kuwait or some ohter location. IT DOES MEAN OUT OF IRAQ AND DOES NOT MEAN TO SEND MORE TROOPS OVER

scubadoo

I dobeleive redeploy means to move, reposition, relocate from current positions. of deployment Further, I beleive I saw him on CNN stating he did not mean home but he maent somewhere else in the region. Either way you are incorect in stating it means to send more troops to Iraq.. So please do not call me ignorant when it comes to the analysis
Regarding this issue, you stating it means to send more over would be closer to ignorance then my postion...which follows what he intended...to move them from Iraq i.e. REDEPLOY
I certainly will give Murtha credit..as it allows hime to define what he meant at a later date.
I'm sure this will be corrected if I am wrong.

jones

I actually beleive he means to send the troops elsewehre currently in Iraq ..it could mean Kuwait or some ohter location. IT DOES MEAN OUT OF IRAQ AND DOES NOT MEAN TO SEND MORE TROOPS OVER
Whoops you're right. I misread the quote the first time, you didnt qoute the whole thing at first. Here's the thing though, I'm willing to admit a mistake. He did say redploy away from Iraq, but he stil did NOT say immediately, which was what this was about in the first place. As soon as practicable, does not mean immediately, and cant be interpreted as such. The whole point here is that the media and the propoganda machine tries to paint a picture of not just murtha, but of the Dems as a whole as trying to bring them home NOW, like tomorow. They phrase it this way by repeating "immediately", make it seem more absurd than it is, because we all know that its not possible or "practicable". Remember that word, practicable, it was in the quote that everyone wants to reinterpret.
Trust me I'm far from lost. You caught me on one slip up that wasn't even the point of what we were talking about. Be proud and keep trying.

jones

HeHe, three posts in a row repeating the same thing. You really are proud that I made a careless slip. Don't get too proud, all you've been doing is trying to show me that I'm wrong about something, anything, desperately, even if it has nothing to do with what the underlying point is. Well you found one, now you can sleep tonight.

reefbabe

This is great..... ***)
Okay...this has nothing to do with what you guys are firing at but...thought I'd post it anyways! (Darn forwards)
Did you know that 47 countries have reestablished their embassies in Iraq?
Did you know that the Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?
Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?
Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating?
Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?
Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have 5- 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.
Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 Bell Jet Rangers?
Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion?
Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?
Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?
Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.
Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?
Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?
Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?
Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?
Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?
Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently?
OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW!
WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW? OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!
And remember Ted Kennedy says the Iraqis were better off with Sadam!!!!

scubadoo

HeHe, three posts in a row repeating the same thing. You really are proud that I made a careless slip. Don't get too proud, all you've been doing is trying to show me that I'm wrong about something, anything, desperately, even if it has nothing to do with what the underlying point is. Well you found one, now you can sleep tonight.
I was simply correcting my original post in the sceond as I stated it meant to return home in the first ...where I beleive the intent of the letter was to redeploy to other areas.
In the third I was explaining what I beleive to be the position as he stated on CNN
I have no probelms with you not knowing or understanding what the military term redeploy means. ..or posting before thinking. You saught to correct me...and your correction was wrong.
I simply set the record straight as it should be...and called you on your analysis of my cognitive skill and "ignorance".
In your analysis..Murtha wants to send more troops over.."what the quote really menas". But you are the guy claiming to know the postion and I am somewhere lost in thought.
re·de·ploy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rd-ploi)
tr.v. re·de·ployed, re·de·ploy·ing, re·de·ploys
To move (military forces) from one combat zone to another
Now you can call this my fourth.

jones

I was simply correcting my original post in the sceond as I stated it meant to return home in the first ...where I beleive the intent of the letter was to redeploy to other areas.
In the third I was explaining what I beleive to be the position as he stated on CNN
I have no probelms with you not knowing or understanding what the military term redeploy means. ..or posting before thinking. You saught to correct me...and your correction was wrong.
I simply set the record straight as it should be...and called you on your analysis of my cognitive skill and "ignorance".
In your analysis..Murtha wants to send more troops over.."what the quote really menas". But you are the guy claiming to know the postion and I am somewhere lost in thought.
re·de·ploy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rd-ploi)
tr.v. re·de·ployed, re·de·ploy·ing, re·de·ploys
To move (military forces) from one combat zone to another
Now you can call this my fourth.
Redeploy means to be deployed again after theyve already been deployed, to anywhere from anywhere. I already admited I misread the post and goofed on that one. You are a proud one. And no that's not my analysis. Yes, I posted before thinking. I've given you many of my analysis about the real points and issues, but you choose to ignore them all. Even when we're not disagreeing you want to find a point to prove wrong, I've jsut been sitting here waiting for you to find one. You were initially trying to find a democrat quoted as wanting "immediate" withdraw as the rhetoric machine keeps repeating. Which would by fine by me if you did, because I really don't care if they have. There are tons of democrats out there in office at all levels, one of them must have said it. My point is who cares, it's too broad of a generalization. And it the generalization is wrong. My correction wasn't wrong in that you didn't find what you were looking for. You strayed from that with your pridful catch of a misstep. You don't care about having a discourse about the issues, you want to be right, about anything. You've shown that time and time again over the past 8 pages. That, my friend, is the epitome of ignorance.

jones

Originally Posted by Reefbabe
This is great..... ***)
Okay...this has nothing to do with what you guys are firing at but...
That's quite alright, we've just been firing about babble for quite some time now anyway.