Next up - chalk will be considered a lethal weapon

snakeblitz33

Ok, now, if there was a sign anywhere out there that said no sidewalk chalk or paint offenders will be fined" i can understand that the judge would penalize. Chalk can be washed off extremely easy. I dont see what the big deal is.

reefraff

Did anyone really read the story? It wasn't a sidewalk, it was rocks in a park. The poor woman was previously ticketed in 2010 for painting the rocks, the kid wasn't involved. This time when confronted about letting her kid chalk the rocks she became combative.
Seems to me the woman is just a troublemaker.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486625
..and now breaking windows is a crime too?
How about helping an old guy get up? also a crime?
Since when is breaking a window not a crime? It is property damage. We don't prosecute a kid when they are playing ball and it overshoots and busts a window or dents a car... but their parents are expected to repair the damage....if they don't, you can call the police and take them to court and make them pay.... and if it was done on purpose with a rock to do damage...you can go to jail for that, rocks can be deadly.
I agree with reefraff on this one. Paint and draw on your own rocks on your own property that you paid over $100.000.00 for...it looks ugly

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486636
Since when is breaking a window not a crime? It is property damage. We don't prosecute a kid when they are playing ball and it overshoots and busts a window or dents a car... but their parents are expected to repair the damage....if they don't, you can call the police and take them to court and make them pay.... and if it was done on purpose with a rock to do damage...you can go to jail for that, rocks can be deadly.
I agree with reefraff on this one. Paint and draw on your own rocks on your own property that you paid over $100.000.00 for...it looks ugly
I was joking flower... haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486650
He's quite obviously an obnoxious kid who thinks its fine to deface other people's (or in the case, the municipalities) property.
I love these assumptions you make, especially this one that could not be farther from the truth.
There are people with very different opinions on here. Some of which, tend be extreme to one side.
In knowing this fact, I posted a comment which I knew would bring a good stir. The stir was something I was trying to observe, see some people that would be on the strong side of the defense of the woman, and others completely against her. Comments in the nature of mine, tend to bring out the best - and worst of people.
In no way do I mean that it is OK to deface property in any way, sorry if it sounded that way. I know for sure it did after re-reading it, and I honestly did not mean it like that.
The best and most true comment on here, in my opinion, is Darth's. It is nothing to argue or be rude about.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486526
Did anyone really read the story? It wasn't a sidewalk, it was rocks in a park. The poor woman was previously ticketed in 2010 for painting the rocks, the kid wasn't involved. This time when confronted about letting her kid chalk the rocks she became combative.
Seems to me the woman is just a troublemaker.
IT WAS A ROCK! OH THE HORROR! If she'd done this right before a thunderstorm rolled through, the entire story would've never been reported. Would the cop have ticketed her if the kid used the same chalk on the sidewalk right in front of the rock? Yea, Mom was just priming her kid to move to more destructive things. First it's chalk, then it's washable tempura paints, then onto spray cans. We have an upcoming tagger in training.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486765
IT WAS A ROCK! OH THE HORROR! If she'd done this right before a thunderstorm rolled through, the entire story would've never been reported. Would the cop have ticketed her if the kid used the same chalk on the sidewalk right in front of the rock? Yea, Mom was just priming her kid to move to more destructive things. First it's chalk, then it's washable tempura paints, then onto spray cans. We have an upcoming tagger in training.

It was a public park. The park ranger asked the woman (who had previously been ticketed for painting the rocks) to stop her kid from chalking them and the woman got in his face. Who is this woman to decide that the park should look like a ghetto instead of a natural area? I don't know if they would have an issue with kids coloring the sidewalk or not. Doesn't matter. They do have an issue with the rocks being colored and instead of simply stopping her child she decided to go PMS.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486809
Hahaha, yes flower, I go around smashing windows and spray painting brick walls.
Sure sounds like me!
LOL...Thats exactly what she said...only it was spitting in the Taco Bell food. You didn't say you did such things as spray paint walls or break windows, just that you had sacastically stated that kids breaking a window should be a crime, as though it wasn't.
LOL...spitting in the food I took great offence with because I eat out, and that was too much to accept as funny. I mean if you don't like the job quit, but don't spit in peoples food...eeeewww Then she said she was just kidding....I haven't eaten at Taco Bell since, and it's been at least two years. She got busy with school and slowly dropped out of forum. I kinda miss her, she could be very amusing.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486806
It was a public park. The park ranger asked the woman (who had previously been ticketed for painting the rocks) to stop her kid from chalking them and the woman got in his face. Who is this woman to decide that the park should look like a ghetto instead of a natural area? I don't know if they would have an issue with kids coloring the sidewalk or not. Doesn't matter. They do have an issue with the rocks being colored and instead of simply stopping her child she decided to go PMS.
Look like a ghetto? Some little kid using colored chalk that will wash off in 5 minutes will make the park "look like a ghetto"? Now that's a stretch. Do you know how the cop reacted and asked the lady to have her kid quit marking the rock with chalk? I've dealt with some pretty arrogant cops who think just because someone gives them a badge and a gun, they can treat people any way they want. Some lowly park ranger who has a chip on his shoulder because he has to walk around the park looking for people using chalk on rocks, pet owners not curbing their dogs, or some clown on a bike not yielding to pedestrians on the sidewalk. Dis he ask kindly, "Miss, we don't allow anyone to mark or write on those specific rocks. Could you please have your daughter stop using her chalk?" Or did he reply, "Hey lady! What's you're kid doing with that chalk and defacing those rocks? You got 10 seconds to get her to stop, or I'm going to write you up for vandalism." If a cop responded to me the second way, I might have gotten into his face as well.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486830
Look like a ghetto? Some little kid using colored chalk that will wash off in 5 minutes will make the park "look like a ghetto"? Now that's a stretch. Do you know how the cop reacted and asked the lady to have her kid quit marking the rock with chalk? I've dealt with some pretty arrogant cops who think just because someone gives them a badge and a gun, they can treat people any way they want. Some lowly park ranger who has a chip on his shoulder because he has to walk around the park looking for people using chalk on rocks, pet owners not curbing their dogs, or some clown on a bike not yielding to pedestrians on the sidewalk. Dis he ask kindly, "Miss, we don't allow anyone to mark or write on those specific rocks. Could you please have your daughter stop using her chalk?" Or did he reply, "Hey lady! What's you're kid doing with that chalk and defacing those rocks? You got 10 seconds to get her to stop, or I'm going to write you up for vandalism." If a cop responded to me the second way, I might have gotten into his face as well.
You know today it is just a chalk mark and tomorrow it might be spray paint. Children love to be artistic and love to color and paint. Do I think the cop over reacted...a little bit. However mom reacted shamefully. She taught the child that authority doesn't matter, that cops are stupid, and that she should be allowed to express herself any way she wants.
You can voice your distaste with a formal complaint, and it goes into an officers permanent record and it does prevent him from getting promotions. Screaming in an officers face in front of a child is not how to teach a child to handle lifes "upsets" which is a parents duty. It isn't what you say that teaches the child, they watch and learn from how you act.
Think of what the child could have learned if mom had some sense. First appologize to the officer saying it was just chalk... and you thought it would be alright, then help the child clean off the offending marks. And if mom was angry and felt the officer was being out of line or over reacted, ....take the child by the hand, (to reasure her all was well) ask the officer for his badge number and both of them go to the station and explain what happened and lodge a complaint that you felt the officer over reacted and was power mad.
The child could have learned that even those in authority have bosses and there is a proper way to handle things besides anger...instead another disrepectful youth was created, who thinks of nobody but herself, has learned from littlehood from mom to scream in a persons face when they don't get their way.... that will enter our society with such attitudes ...to teach her child to be even worse.....what a shame, what a crying shame.