Next up - chalk will be considered a lethal weapon

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon#post_3486830
Look like a ghetto? Some little kid using colored chalk that will wash off in 5 minutes will make the park "look like a ghetto"? Now that's a stretch. Do you know how the cop reacted and asked the lady to have her kid quit marking the rock with chalk? I've dealt with some pretty arrogant cops who think just because someone gives them a badge and a gun, they can treat people any way they want. Some lowly park ranger who has a chip on his shoulder because he has to walk around the park looking for people using chalk on rocks, pet owners not curbing their dogs, or some clown on a bike not yielding to pedestrians on the sidewalk. Dis he ask kindly, "Miss, we don't allow anyone to mark or write on those specific rocks. Could you please have your daughter stop using her chalk?" Or did he reply, "Hey lady! What's you're kid doing with that chalk and defacing those rocks? You got 10 seconds to get her to stop, or I'm going to write you up for vandalism." If a cop responded to me the second way, I might have gotten into his face as well.
Dude! This woman was previously ticketed for painting the rocks. Do you think it was just a coincidence her kid was chalking them? I'd hazard a bet that if she simply told her kid to stop when the ranger said something it would have been dropped. I have no issue with kids chalking sidewalks but they absolutely shouldn't be allowed to color other things. Try getting that chalk off a brick wall or other porous surfaces.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon/20#post_3486845
Dude! This woman was previously ticketed for painting the rocks. Do you think it was just a coincidence her kid was chalking them? I'd hazard a bet that if she simply told her kid to stop when the ranger said something it would have been dropped. I have no issue with kids chalking sidewalks but they absolutely shouldn't be allowed to color other things. Try getting that chalk off a brick wall or other porous surfaces.
How did he know she was ticketed before? Was it the same cop that gave her the ticket for painting stuff? If so, might be why he was more aggressive towards her. My kids used to take their chalk and make drawings on the side of my brick/stone house all the time when they were little. A few rain showers, and they were gone. She probably could've taken a couple of water bottles with a towel and wiped the chalk off the rocks if she were allowed to do so. Bet she wasn't even offered that opportunity.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon/20#post_3486890
How did he know she was ticketed before? Was it the same cop that gave her the ticket for painting stuff? If so, might be why he was more aggressive towards her. My kids used to take their chalk and make drawings on the side of my brick/stone house all the time when they were little. A few rain showers, and they were gone. She probably could've taken a couple of water bottles with a towel and wiped the chalk off the rocks if she were allowed to do so. Bet she wasn't even offered that opportunity.
I don't know if the ranger knew or not, that isn't the point. The point is she knew coloring the rocks was a no no and let her kid do it anyway. I tend to believe the cop when he said she was being combative. You really think the cop would want to arrest someone because their kid was chalking rocks?

darthtang aw

Why is this still going? If I peed on the rocks would I be cited? Why? It washes away and doesn't harm the rocks.
Darth (color your own property) Tang

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon/20#post_3486906
I don't know if the ranger knew or not, that isn't the point. The point is she knew coloring the rocks was a no no and let her kid do it anyway. I tend to believe the cop when he said she was being combative. You really think the cop would want to arrest someone because their kid was chalking rocks?
I re-read the article. No where does it say there was a sign by the rocks stating "No grafitti or markings are allowed on the rocks". So she's supposed to surmise that when she used PAINT over 2 years earlier on the rocks, that meant that some useless chalk fit the same category. Anyone with half a brain would know the difference. Guess we know where that leaves you.

darthtang aw

Read the story again.
"Local Richmond officials have been working hard to keep those particular rocks clean of any sort of graffiti, whether chalk or paint. Mortensen’s lawyer, G. Brian Tacey, said that Richmond has had a lot of issues with graffiti. “Because of the problems, the city has essentially placed a ban on anything that could be applied to the [James Park] rocks.” "

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392544/next-up-chalk-will-be-considered-a-lethal-weapon/20#post_3486948
I re-read the article. No where does it say there was a sign by the rocks stating "No grafitti or markings are allowed on the rocks". So she's supposed to surmise that when she used PAINT over 2 years earlier on the rocks, that meant that some useless chalk fit the same category. Anyone with half a brain would know the difference. Guess we know where that leaves you.
Yes.