NFL mock draft - only one week away!!

lion_crazz

With the draft being only a week away (Saturday, April 26), I figured I would put my mock draft out and we could have a little draft discussion. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to make your observations about what you think your team(s) will do. 1.Miami Dolphins - Jake Long OT– Though Chris Long and Matt Ryan seem like more attractive picks, Jake Long builds an offensive line that is not very strong. Parcells needs a sold line to be able to evaluate the offense in 2008. Plus, with Ronnie Brown healthy, a strong line will make him the center of the offense. With Jason Taylor still the center of the defense, he needs someone to protect the QB and open lanes for Ronnie Brown. I could see Parcells grabbing someone like Flacco, Henne, or Brohm in the second, if not Woodson in the later rounds.
2.St. Louis Rams - Chris Long DE
– With Leonard Little getting old, the Rams need a speedy guy to add to their line. The Rams struggled last year on D, and Long will immediately make an impact. I can slightly see Gholston being the guy here and really it was a toss up for me.
3.Atlanta Falcons – Vernon Gholston DE
– Though QB is a pressing need here, they will certainly get a talented guy with their second pick (I am predicting Joe Flacco). Falcons go defense here to beef up a d-line that has been struggling for years. Now that Coleman is gone, the Falcons need something on the defensive front. Gholston is the best available, even though most people are predicting Dorsey here.
4.Oakland Raiders – Glenn Dorsey DT
– Every draft has Darren McFadden going here, but that is not happening. Oakland massively overpaid Justin Fargas, and they had Michael Bush deactivated all year last year just so they did not have to release Dominic Rhodes or Lamont Jordan to Kansas City or Denver (and last time I checked, both of those guys are still on the roster too.) Dorsey fills the whole left by Warren Sapp and plays nicely next to ball-hawk Derrick Burgess (though, I feel Dorsey is incredibly over-rated – just the type of guy Al Davis loves).
5.Kansas Chiefs – Ryan Clady OL
– Matt Ryan was a thought here, but without a line to protect the QB, there would be little point in reaching for Ryan when they can get Brohm in round 2. Plus, Brodie Croyle is still looming on the roster. Larry Johnson desperately needs some blocking and Clady is the guy to do it (though I feel Brandon Albert may be the better player).
6.New York Jets – Darren McFadden RB
– Though not the most pressing need, McFadden gives the Jets offense the right spark to get them back in competition in the AFC east. Thomas Jones is getting old, and McFadden has the potential to be the next Adrian Peterson.
7.New England Patriots – Brandon Albert OG
– With Wilson, Gay, and Samuel leaving, most would assume CB is the pick. That assumption would be wrong. The Giants proved that the only way to stop Tom Brady is through the pass rush, something that Albert stops easily.
8.Baltimore Ravens – Matt Ryan QB
– EVERYONE is penciling Ryan as the pick here. Truth be told, Boller can’t cut it. Before McNair retired, I really thought Baltimore would go with Leodis McKlevin here. However, now that McNair is gone and there is no top QB on free agency, Ryan has to be the pick. However, I really would like to see Baltimore go with McKlevin here and then trade up for Brian Brohm in the 20’s.
9.Cincinnati Bengals – Sedrick Ellis DT
– Being strong both against the run and pas, many say Ellis is the best DT in the draft. This fills a big need for the Bengals and who could argue that their D needs help? Losing Justin Smith will hurt, but Ellis gives the Bengals a dominant presence on defense.
10.New Orleans Saints – Keith Rivers OLB
– With the additions of Jonathan Vilma and Dan Morgan, it is obvious that the Saints want a stronger linebacking crew. I almost felt this was a toss-up between LB and CB, though, and with both Cromartie and McKlevin still on the board, it will be hard to not go CB here. Rivers is the best all-around player on the board, so that is where they go.
11.Buffalo Bills – Dominque Rodgers Cromartie CB
– This is really a toss-up between Leodis McKlevin and Cromartie, but Cromartie appeals to Buffalo because of his performance at pro day. WR is a big concern, but that is taken in round 2.

lion_crazz

12.Denver Broncos – Devin Thomas WR - Denver thinks about Rashard Mendhall here, but Shanahan knows that he can get a quality back in round 2 or later in the draft. They have a bigger concern in WR, with Javon Walker going to Oakland and the recent nonsense with Brandon Marshall. Denver needs to draft someone to keep Cutler quiet. Plus, we all know that Shanahan likes to pull RB’s out of nowhere (not to forget about Travis Henry still being on the roster). 13.Carolina Panthers – Chris Williams OT – Personally, I see Carolina possibly taking a risk and taking Brian Brohm here. If they go the conservative route, it will be Williams, a big lineman to give DeAngelo Williams some space and Jake Delhomme some protection. Many think Carolina will go RB here, but by releasing Foster, they show they are committed at least one year to see what Williams has to offer. Let’s not forget about what DeAngelo Williams did in college.
14.Chicago Bears – Jeff Otah OT
– The Bears lineman are getting old. They are committed to both Rex Grossman and Cedric Benson, so O-line is the next need for the Bears. Otah will make both of the aforementioned overrated players look incredibly better.
15.Detroit Lions – Rashard Mendhall RB
– Releasing Kevin Jones shows where the Lions are looking. Mendhall fills a huge need on the Lions offense, finally giving Jon Kitna and the Detroit pass game a compliment on offense so that Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson can get some room in the air. Defense is always a need in Detroit, but with the release of Kevin Jones, who could they rely on? Tatum Bell?
16.Arizona Cardinals – Michael Jenkins CB
– Arizona really wants to go running back here and take Jonathan Stewart, but CB is a much bigger need. After not being able to work a good enough deal to bring Lito Sheppard to the desert, Arizona goes with Mike Jenkins, the last great CB on the board. Plus, who could forget that Zona game last year where GUS FEROTTE lit the D up for 4 td’s.
17.Minnesota Vikings – Derrick Harvey DE
– Many have Phillip Sterling going here, as well as Brian Brohm, but Harvey is the better player and Minnesota is thankful that he fell this low. Many were concerned Carolina, Detroit, or Denver would go with Harvey.
18.Houston Texans – Leodis McKlevin CB
– Houston needs a strong CB and that is who they get in McKlevin.
19.Philadelphia Eagles – Limas Sweed WR
– By spending the big bucks on Asante Samuel, the Eagles made it clear that WR was their top concern in the draft. Local insiders are saying that the Eagles will go with someone on the line to replace Winston Justice, but with him only being drafted 2 years ago, WR is the choice. Sweed is that big playmaker that Donovan McNabb needs.
20.Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Antoine Cason CB
– This pick really could have gone either wide receiver or corner back (Dallas, Philly, Buffalo, Denver) but Gruden knows his offense was not the issue last year. He still sees a few years left in Joey Galloway, plus, Michael Clayton is slowly coming out of the doghouse. Defensively, the Buccs need to control the ball more. Cason is the top corner still on the board and that is who the Buccs go with.
21.Washington Redskins – Phillip Merling DE
– This was a toss-up between Merling and Calais Campbell, but personally, I do not feel Campbell is first round talent. Merling is slated to go to Minnesota, but with them being able to grab Harvey, Merling falls to 21.
22.Dallas Cowboys – DeSean Jackson WR
– Jerry Jones has made it very clear that Dallas needs a dominant threat go on the other side of Terrell Owens. With Terry Glenn getting old and Crayton’s stock on the decline, Jackson presents that big threat Jones wants. This opens up Owens to be even more dominant in the Dallas offense, while developing a top receiver for when Owens eventually retires.
23.Pittsburgh Steelers – Gosder Cherlius OL
– With the departure of Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh badly needs someone to protect their 100 million dollar investment at quarterback and their injury prone, end-zone avoiding running back. Cherlius is the best option still on the board.
24.Tennessee Titans – Malcolm Kelly WR
– Vince Young badly needs a receiving target to show Tennessee that he is the real deal. The Titans finally get someone decent in Kelly.

lion_crazz

25.Seattle Seahawks – Kentwan Balmer – Let me just go out and say how there is no chance Seattle is thinking running back, even if Stewart is on the board. Seattle went out and got Julius Jones and TJ Duckett, and they already have Maurice Morris. Even with Shaun Alexander on the verge of being cut, Seattle goes defensive because they still remmeber their last game where GREEN BAY ran for 200 yards against them. 26.Jacksonville Jaguars – Quentin Groves DE – Fixes a major problem that the Jags had in being able to rush the passer. I also think that this could be the perfect time for a trade. The Jags could trade down and grab a few back-ups, since they did a lot during the free agency.
27.San Diego Chargers – Jonathan Stewart RB
– With Michael Turner leaving, the Chargers need someone to give LT a break. Coming off the injury last year, the Chargers do not want to push Tomlinson too hard. Their back-up comes in the Oregon star, whose stock falls considerably because of his recent turf toe surgery. However, if that does not happen, I am going to predict a trade here. Too many teams want Brian Brohm and he really should have went in the first round. If Carolina did not take him at 13, I can see them moving up, as well as Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota, and Tampa.
28.Dallas Cowboys – Felix Jones RB
- After not jumping up to take Darren McFadden, Jerry Jones goes with Felix Jones, another Arkansas alum who shares the load quite nicely with Marion Barber.
29.San Francisco 49ers – Dan Connor LB
– This guy is the perfect compliment to the all-pro Patrick Willis. Connor fills a linebacking void and gives the 49ers some significant strength on defense.
30.Green Bay Packers – Aqib Talib
CB- This is the obvious choice for Green Bay, with an aging Al Harris and Chuck Woodson. They should just be happy he fell this low. Many have him in the teen’s, and a few mocks have him close to the top 10.
31.forfeited
32.New York Giants – Kenny Phillips S
–Phillips fills a pressing need in the secondary with Sammy Knight getting old and Gibril Wilson departing.
Guys I could justifiably see in the first round as a "sleeper" or "reach": QB Brian Brohm, RB Chris Johnson, LB Jerod Mayo, WR James Hardy, TE Fred Davis.

robdog696

I like a lot of your pics. Especially top 5. I like your reasoning behind each. I think you undervalue this years OT class though. Namely, I think Denver, Houston, and Philly will be looking at tackles. Plus KC, as you pointed out. I don't think Miami is genuinely interested in Jake Long. I think they are baiting a team like KC to trade up. Parcells is all about value, and the only player I see being a franchise tag worthy player in this draft is Chris Long. If they stay at #1 that's who I see Miami taking. But I think they'd be just as happy to move down to the fifth pick and pay far less to either Dorsey or Mcfadden. I agree on the Flacco prediction, too! Well thought out mock draft! Good job!

lion_crazz

Thanks for the comments!
I really hope Miami takes Chris Long, and with Parcells there, I think the chances are very good. However, Parcells always put an emphasis on the offensive line and Jake Long would be a strong fit. However, there is no doubt that Chris Long is the most talened and consistent player in the draft.
As for Philly, I have a feeling that they are going to take offensive line (since they usually draft poorly in the first few rounds) but WR is such a pressing need. Westbrook will not be able to go another year of him completely carrying the team. I know he is amazing, but defenses will start to key just on him. Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown just don't have that consistency to give a 6 or 7 catch 100 yard game every week. Philly needs one more solid wide out who does not get frazzled when he is bumped at the line. That was Curtis' biggest problem last year. If he was open, he was dynamite (remember that Detroit game?) When teams started bumping him, he could not break free.

ruaround

i dont see the Falcons skipping Ryan... they REALLY need a QB there...
i couldnt see D Mc goin any later than 4th!!! the Raiders are in dire need of a run game...
the Chiefs need som defense... with Jared Allen talking to the Bucs, Minnesota and Dallas they are gonna be extrememly weak on the D Line...
Ryan Clady is OVERRATED!!! he didnt play worht a $#!% last year here in Boise... he was at the Burn game last night (our AF2 team) and man did he look fat!!!
i couldnt disagree more about Tampa!!! they NEED a WR because Galloway is OLD and Michael Clayton has not played good in a game since he was a rookie and who knows if Ike is gonna stay this year... they dont need a cover corner this year with Barber, Kelly, Buchanon, just signing E Wilson from the Partriots and they took a corner last year in the second round...
they rest looks pretty good though!!!

pontius

since my favorite college team is an SEC team, I've seen pretty much seen every college game that Darren McFadden has played. any team that doesn't take Darren McFadden first are idiots.
but hey, there's a reason that teams like Miami, Oakland, and Atlanta are annual bottom dwellers. like Atlanta picking Michael Vick over LaDanian Tomlinson. yeah, that worked out well.

lion_crazz

i dont see the Falcons skipping Ryan... they REALLY need a QB there...
There are too many good QB's in the draft. Falcons could easily get Brohm, Booty, Henne, Flacco, Woodson, or a few others.
i couldnt see D Mc goin any later than 4th!!! the Raiders are in dire need of a run game...
Raiders have LaMont Jordan, Dominic Rhodes, Justin Fargas, and Michael Bush..
I could fully see your last 3 arguments though.

ruaround

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2574517
There are too many good QB's in the draft. Falcons could easily get Brohm, Booty, Henne, Flacco, Woodson, or a few others.
Raiders have LaMont Jordan, Dominic Rhodes, Justin Fargas, and Michael Bush..
I could fully see your last 3 arguments though.
Jordan is injury prone... Rhodes was a one hit wonder, Michael Bush who??? although the Raiders did sign J Fargus to a new deal he still is NOT a feature back... they need a STUD running the ball to take some pressure off of J Russell!!!
still the Falcons would be idiots to pass on the best QB in the draft since that should be their #1 prioritiy...

monkdaily

well iam a cowboy fan for life so i will talk about them, i would like to see us trade up and get runDMc to back up marion the barbarian ill take felix jones too, if not i would like to see us take limas sweed because i think he was sorely under used and underrated (like bj johnson was when roy williams was there). and i also hope to see a pac-man signing in the new soon. but iam sooo glad they took wut 2mins off of the pick time. i can not wait

atrialfib22

Man...I hope you are right on the 16th pick. CB should be the #1 need to be addressed for the AZ Cardinals in this year's draft, especially after the free agent market got thinner as the months passed (good job on blowing the Lito Shepperd deal in typical Cardinal fashion). It is difficult to be a Cardinals fan, a lot of heartache. But at last, it seems like things are looking up.
Antrel Rolle definitely was a liability at CB...undersized and not technically sound to defend/cover or even keep up with any of the premier receivers in the league. He will be much better suited at safety.
I keep hearing about running backs...and I kinda understand that since Edgerrin James is getting a little older and it will be a need in the future. However...if you keep giving up easy scores with weak defensive coverage, all the running in the world won't save you...ask Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes and every other RB in KC for the past decade or so.
I also agree with the QB situation in this year's draft...there will be good choices to go with all the way into the middle of the 2nd or even early 3rd round. No need to burn a top 10 pick on a QB unless you know something the rest of the world doesn't...
Sadly I am excited for the possibility of the Cardinals going 9-7 or maybe even break the 10 win mark. All I want is my team to go to the playoffs more than once before I turn 30 dang it!
But overall I am very happy that football is almost here again...it just feels....right.

Go Big Red!

rylan1

This is a weak draft in comparison to last year. Baltimore and Dolphins will draft QB's... I could also see some trading in the 1st RD this year, because this draft will be based on soley need, instead of talent. I think the Dolphins would be better off if they traded picks... Long would be a nice compliment to Taylor.. but they need a lot of players. Dorsey is good but I believe he is seen as a player who takes off plays.. Raiders should go with McFadden, except they don't want the high salary given Russell. But this is the probably one of the beter picks... Gholston is a beast... he killed Jake Long in the OSU vs Mich game.. went right around him several times... Gholston could be a dominant DE.

kjr_trig

Interesting draft this year, I think some good options if you need a RB, D-MAC, Mendinhall, Stewart, and Felix Jones I think will be immediate impact players. Atlanta could really use a QB, not fully sold on Matt Ryan at 3, but I think it will happen....I hope one of the top O linemen is around for Arizona as I think that is a more pressing need, but they need secondary help as well. Can't imagine Oakland skipping on McFadden, they are better on defense by far.

aquaknight

No love for my boy RB Kevin Smith? Kiper picked him as a sleeper.

For my Buffalo Bills, Cromartie looks to be the best pick. God we need defense. Also, look for us to trade for a second, high first round pick, most likely canidate, Seattle for us to grab a WR as well.
I hope McFadden is still available during the 6th pick. Just so the Jets can skip him and pick some other flop. How do the kicker prospects look this year?
Doesn't matter what the Bills do during the year, just watching the looks on the Jets fan's faces is enough.

lion_crazz

Looks like I was right with my first pick! Nice contract that the Fins signed Long to. Now the fun begins as Saturday gets nearer!

J

jrthomas40

the dolphins would have been retarded to go DL instead of OL...for a while at the begining of the season they lead the league in rushing but was one of the worse in passing...jake may not be the pass blocker they want but he will be learn the system and step up and once that happens he fit in nicely with the offense that likes to run to set up the pass

J

jrthomas40

dallas does not need to trade up to get mcfadden because barber is one of the most under rated backs in the league but the last 2 seasons people are starting to notice...bringing in a back like mcfadden that is in my opinion more like Larry Johnson and will only be happy as a feature back other than a split back in a part-time position...but a pick like felix jones would be great because he is a great split time back that is a work horse of his own just like barber....so taking barber out game and replacing him with felix defensive teams will have to adjust but the offense can remain the same

J

jrthomas40

the panthers need to take a chance and try to get a good back up for delhomme...who is becoming more of a negative than a plus and for them to have to hire ol' vinny just to get by says something about there depth chart

notsonoob

Jake Long is the pick that makes sense for Miami.
Your whole team is built on a foundation of your front line as well as anchoring the backside for your QB.
Say what you will about the rise of the Browns, the biggest piece to that puzzle was drafting Joe Thomas.
Parcells will shape that team into the image he wants. Just as he did with the Giants, Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys.
New England and New York Beware.