Nice Forum and Community you have here

jay0705

Your top two are your best choices for your tank. That said, i have a hovans wrasse and i love it. Very peaceful but they get too big for a 36. Mine is about 5" the x mas wrasse is very nice looking but they all do not look alike. So see what u buy first

Jesterrace

That's what I figured. The Orange back is my ideal, but it looks like it might be more difficult to get ahold of than a helfrichi and if I do find it, I am going to have to sell a kidney to pay for it. I will check with a couple of the other LFS stores in my area to see if they are even on their stock lists and if not then I will probably go with the Red Headed Fairy Wrasse since I know for sure I can get one at a reasonable price.

Jesterrace

Check out divers den. They have a ton of wrasse added daily
I prefer to go LFS since you get smacked around for shipping on any order below $150. I did check Diver's Den out at *********** and they didn't have much in the way of wrasse today. I did have an alternate LFS claim to source one for $80, but I am not all that confident I can get it. They also told me that they could get me a Helfrichi for $70 and that was 4 weeks ago and they still don't have any Helfrichi (I already canceled my order but I do check in with them periodically just out of curiosity). I contacted another store and they claim to be able to get one for dirt cheap, but they kept calling it a flame back which is a different fish last I checked.

jay0705

D d updates at 6pm eastern week days. Check rt after 6. I personally prefer lfs too but alot just don't have the variety online does

Jesterrace

Okay, so of the wrasses I listed above which one would be the best fit for my 36 gallon tank.

Keep in mind my current fish are:

Scissortail Dartfish
Purple Firefish
Diamond Watchman Goby
Green Mandarin

I had and removed a Flame Angel after it bullied my Firefish and started nipping at my corals, so I would prefer not to go through that again. Colorwise I love the Labouts Fairy Wrasse and would be willing to pay the premium for one, but I have heard that at least with other wrasses they can be pretty mean. I will not be adding any other wrasses to the tank, so that shouldn't be an issue. I just want to make sure I am making the best informed decision before spending 3 figures on a fish.

jay0705

There are no guarantees with any sw fish. Its all basically an educated guess. The wrasse on your list should all be ok with your current stock

Jesterrace

There are no guarantees with any sw fish. Its all basically an educated guess. The wrasse on your list should all be ok with your current stock
I get that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting in a fish that is known to be more aggressive than they claim.

Jesterrace

I ended up ordering the clown fairy wrasse (aka Red Headed Fairy Wrasse) from my nearby LFS. Not the flashiest of the options but I am really tired of stores and websites forcing me to play the wait and see. It's also the most cost effective of the bunch at a whopping $35 it won't break the bank.

Jesterrace

Interesting. My LFS had an issue with the supplier. I tried to go through them since they have helped me out so much along the way, but ultimately it sounded like it was going to be iffy as to getting stuff through the supplier so I cancelled my order with them and so I went to the alternate store that had one in stock. I so happened to hit them on a day when they were doing a 30% off sale so I got the Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse for $26 with tax. I added him to the tank yesterday and thus far he has been a great tank mate. The only ounce of aggression I have seen out of him is the occasional little nip at his reflection in the glass or going after food when it's feeding time (something that even the most peaceful of fish does). He is also not easily frightened and has even help solve some recent territorial aggression out of my Diamond Watchman Goby. My Diamond Watchman was getting somewhat aggressive towards my scissortail and the Wrasse even stepped in and took the brunt of the Goby's territorial aggression on several occasions last night (while keeping himself out of harms way), but the Goby seems to have gotten more comfortable with him and isn't snapping at him like he was last night and the scissortail has pretty much been left alone. The only real issue right now is my Purple Firefish is freaked out every time they are on the same side of the tank and will hide for a while. I think the Purple FF still has PTSD from the Flame Angel and thus far is too scared to even give the Wrasse a shot. I did see something interesting though, the wrasse went into the cave where the purple firefish has his burrow and he almost appeared to cozy up to the Firefish and gently rub up against him before slowly swimming out the other side. As if to say, "it's okay, I'm not going to hurt you." The purple firefish seemed not sure what to make of this, but ultimately went back in his burrow. I think the Purple will come around but it will take time.

jay0705

Fire fish are notoriously skittish. There small and slender. AKA food for alot of other fish. Glad all seems to be going well for you. As iam typing this iam drip acclimating my fish from the qt into my new dt. Its only been 5 months lol . Safe to say there good and ready.

Jesterrace

Fire fish are notoriously skittish. There small and slender. AKA food for alot of other fish. Glad all seems to be going well for you. As iam typing this iam drip acclimating my fish from the qt into my new dt. Its only been 5 months lol . Safe to say there good and ready.
I know. The good news is that my Firefish is Chicken Little but he is persistent.