niger setup

marlin

ive had and maintain a 12g nano for about 5 months, now im ready to start a 125g, i would to to house a niger trigger and maybe something else. i plan on using a 125 tank 55g sump/refugium. 100#ls live sand 100#lr and 260w pc light , does this sound good enough?

jr2857

some tangs would be cool. a regal or yellow. an eel by any chance. puffers would be ok. large angel maybe. here would be my list
emperor angelfish
regal tang
yellow tang
niger triggerfish
snowflake eel
harlequin tusk
it might be a little too much good luck stocking it

aw2

A Niger will eventually outgrow that tank and it's way too small for a large Angel.
You could get away with the Niger, some species of Moray, a Harlequin Tusk and maybe one other medium size, semi-aggressive fish.

whitey

Highly doubt you'll ever have a problem with a Niger Trigger out growing a 125.
If you want one, get one, they're great fish.

mitzel

Originally Posted by jr2857
some tangs would be cool. a regal or yellow. an eel by any chance. puffers would be ok. large angel maybe. here would be my list
emperor angelfish
regal tang
yellow tang
niger triggerfish
snowflake eel
harlequin tusk
it might be a little too much good luck stocking it

Could you please just for the record tell us all a bit about your aggressive set up and or aggressive fish keeping experiance.

ams153

i agree with staying away from large angels.. and even larger puffers to.. but the niger trigger would be close but would def. be doable.. and eels really are ALOT of fun!

mitzel

Originally Posted by Whitey
The Broncos and the Buffalos suck .

UH ok . I live in colorado don't you think this is something I already know .

aw2

Originally Posted by Whitey
Highly doubt you'll ever have a problem with a Niger Trigger out growing a 125.
If you want one, get one, they're great fish.

Have you ever owned a Niger? It's quite foolish to say that one wont outgrow a 125. Even more foolish to tell a noob that.

ams153

Originally Posted by AW2
Have you ever owned a Niger? It's quite foolish to say that one wont outgrow a 125. Even more foolish to tell a noob that.
hey sometimes they will sometimes they wont.. he was wrong for saying he wont have a problem.. but not entirely wrong..

pamplona

Question...how big and how long would a niger trigger take to outgrown a 125...does anyone have hard facts..

mitzel

It will vary from set up to set up. Major factors such as diet and housing conditions will effect the growth rate of any fish. I keep my water quality as pristien as posible and feed My fish two three times a day . My niger has seriously grown about 3/4 since September. I'll try to round up some pictures that are good to compare .

boat racer

While many around here will tel you that you cant keep an Angle in a tank that size by itself let alone with the rest of the fish Jr2857 listed I will tell you that it CAN be done as long as all the fish you put in are juviniles.I had all those fish plus a couple more angles in a 75 for about two years.None of them grew to ful adaultsize and I never had a problem with any of them fighting.You must do frequent 25% water changes and keep good peramiters.........I hate to see people on here constantly telling people they cant have the amount of fish they want in their system.Not this thread but I read it constantly.Good luck

boat racer

Originally Posted by Pamplona
Question...how big and how long would a niger trigger take to outgrown a 125...does anyone have hard facts..
They can get to around 8" and it will take several years if bought as a juvy.They do not grow fast generaly speaking.

cartman101

Well the niger will outgrow the tank eventully, but it will get up to about 2ft in length i believe. If you plan on upgrading sometime then you can go for it but if you dont want to upgrade then go with a smaller type of trigger. If you are looking for the more peaceful kind go with crosshatch trigger. And like Boat Race said, they grow slow to.

mumbulog

If you want a niger, go for it. It will out grow your tank, like stated above. But you will be able to house that niger in your 125 for a few years. When he gets larger, then you can look into an upgrade or call me and I'll take him! I'll have myself a 300- 500 gallon tank by then and gladly give him a home.

mitzel

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
I will tell you that it can be done as long as all the fish you put in are juviniles.I had all those fish plus a couple more angles in a 75 for about two years.None of them grew to full adult size and I never had a problem with any of them fighting.
The key to your statment is that none grew to their adult size.
Originally Posted by Boat Racer

I hate to see people on here constantly telling people they cant have the amount of fish they want in their system.Not this thread but I read it constantly.
I hate to see people constantly telling others its ok to over stock their tanks . The more experianced Keepers might do ok with slight over stocking . they also know the advantages of regular maintanance. The new less experianced keepers need that safty Zone to buffer for mishaps such as forgeting to do water changes , over feeding, poor water quality.
As long as people keep saying yea go ahead and keep an angle in a 75 with other large fish or go ahead and get a shark for your 55 . The rest of us will keep saying no don't do that .

aw2

Originally Posted by mitzel
The key to your statment is that none grew to their adult size.
I hate to see people constantly telling others its ok to over stock their tanks . The more experianced Keepers might do ok with slight over stocking . they also know the advantages of regular maintanance. The new less experianced keepers need that safty Zone to buffer for mishaps such as forgeting to do water changes , over feeding, poor water quality.
As long as people keep saying yea go ahead and keep an angle in a 75 with other large fish or go ahead and get a shark for your 55 . The rest of us will keep saying no don't do that .

Could not have said it better myself. Good on ya, Mitzel!

boat racer

Yes thats corerct but it takes years to get to that size and you can enjoy them for a long time.And to the person that said Nigers get to be 2 feet long,well thats misinformation at its best.