niger setup

mitzel

You know every thread turns in to a name calling match of who's educated and whos not. I know whos opinions I trust and I know who I wouldn't trust with a bowl of sea monkeys.
Anybody that is serious will take the big picture and make the educated decision about what to do. The rest will wait for the answer they want and then wedge another fish into their undersized over stock aquarium. Then a few months later they will be asking WHY did this happen to my fish ? The thing is that very few will be here to answer their questions.
If tank size is not that important then why is it one of the first things asked when diagnosing a sick fish? Look here Fourth question to answer . 1-3 are about symptoms the fish is showing.

titan

Here's our handsome 7" Niger. Currently residing in a 100GL tank.Poor guy spent over half a year in a 30GL tank at the LFS,and nobody wanted him.Cartman Nigers do not hit 24" I think the largest ever recorded in the wild was just over 19" with long tail lobe streamers.

whitey

Originally Posted by AW2
Have you ever owned a Niger? It's quite foolish to say that one wont outgrow a 125. Even more foolish to tell a noob that.
I'd like everyone to take a moment out of their day to bow down to AW2.
He his clearly the fish God. Thank you so much for the countless times you have put us foolish fish people in our places. You deserve a big gold medal. I'm going to feed my fish later this afternoon; should I give my Guineafowl Puffer 4 silversides or 5 ? I would hate to make a foolish mistake. Please get back to me.
Thank you very much.

titan

I would hope your comment Whitey is full of sarcasm,if you feel you need to bow down to AW2 and give him a gold medal,I would think SWF keeping should be an olypic sport
The topic at hand was about Nigers and tank size etc. even though I slightly hijacked with a pic

whitey

Yes slightly sarcastic. He has over 600 posts and the majority of them are to inform the rest of us that we have no idea what we're talking about. It gets pretty annoying. Scott W. Michael's Marine Fishes book states that a 75 gallon aquarium is suitable for this fish. I'm gonna have to take that advice over the AW2 God. But I'm sure this reliable book is simply foolish. I might as well tear out page 398 from my copy.

whitey

Countdown to AW2 putting Scott W Michael and his book in it's place in

aw2

Whitey, if you have problems taking my advice, then by all means...dont take it...is that concept to hard for you to understand? You're one of the few people here who have problems with me, but the majority of the people here trust my judgement and know that I know what I'm talking about.
Your posts are childish and immature at best and only make you look bad. They're filled with sarcasm, lame jokes and insecurities. I have yet to find anywhere, on this board, where you've given decent advice about any topic.
I have 600 posts since November...you're absolutely correct. But not anywhere do they reflect me, treating anyone negatively, talking down to anyone, or thinking I'm more than just an average fish keeper.
If you want to stuff a Niger into a 75gal. tank, because Scott W. Michael says it's ok, then that your perogative. If that's the kind of pet keeper you are, then I'll make sure to stay away from any advice you give and not take it...exactly the same thing you should do, if you dont like my advice.

whitey

Originally Posted by AW2
Whitey, if you have problems taking my advice, then by all means...dont take it...is that concept to hard for you to understand? You're one of the few people here who have problems with me, but the majority of the people here trust my judgement and know that I know what I'm talking about.
Your posts are childish and immature at best and only make you look bad. They're filled with sarcasm, lame jokes and insecurities. I have yet to find anywhere, on this board, where you've given decent advice about any topic.
I have 600 posts since November...you're absolutely correct. But not anywhere do they reflect me, treating anyone negatively, talking down to anyone, or thinking I'm more than just an average fish keeper.
If you want to stuff a Niger into a 75gal. tank, because Scott W. Michael says it's ok, then that your perogative. If that's the kind of pet keeper you are, then I'll make sure to stay away from any advice you give and not take it...exactly the same thing you should do, if you dont like my advice.
Took ya a while to research all my posts. Glad you have that kind of time. I won't waste my time going through all of your posts to gather info but you know as well I do that most of your posts are in fact talking down to people. I'm by no means the first to point out this fact. If someone asks a question who is new at this, I don't address them as a "noob." You are no more important that anyone else here but you act as King and it is simply just extremely annoying. If I were you, I would not be accusing anyone of "stuffing" fish into a tank. Taking a look at your 200 gal. photos, and the selection you maintain within those living quarters, I hardly believe that you are one to talk about cramming big fish into a tank.
Bottom line is, if the guy wants a Niger Trigger in his 125 he can and should do it. Show me the last Niger Trigger you've seen that was 20 inches long. Calling me childish will not stop me from pointing out that you're the foolish one, and few care what you have to say.
Now, your Majesty, if you could please answer my question as to how much I should feed my Puffer that I have "stuffed" into my tank, I would appreciate it. He is hungry.

ams153

Originally Posted by Whitey
Yes slightly sarcastic. He has over 600 posts and the majority of them are to inform the rest of us that we have no idea what we're talking about. It gets pretty annoying. Scott W. Michael's Marine Fishes book states that a 75 gallon aquarium is suitable for this fish. I'm gonna have to take that advice over the AW2 God. But I'm sure this reliable book is simply foolish. I might as well tear out page 398 from my copy.
ive read books that have said a 125g gallon tank is ok for a bamboo shark.. now does that make it ok since the book says its ok? NO.. books arnt always trustable.. you really shouldnt trust everything you read

whitey

Originally Posted by ams153
ive read books that have said a 125g gallon tank is ok for a bamboo shark.. now does that make it ok since the book says its ok? NO.. books arnt always trustable.. you really shouldnt trust everything you read

Great Point

ams153

hey im not taking sides.. i dont see the prob with a niger trigger in a 125 for a year or so.. then at that point when its owner has more experience he can accurately tell whether it needs more or not most the time they will need bigger but sometimes they wont.. its left on the owner to decide what to do

aw2

Took ya a while to research all my posts. Glad you have that kind of time.
Actually, I was asleep...but thanks for checking in, to make sure I was ok, during my few hours of hiatus. Even the more important people have to sleep sometimes.
I won't waste my time going through all of your posts to gather info but you know as well I do that most of your posts are in fact talking down to people.
Of course you wont, cause you wont find it.
I'm by no means the first to point out this fact. If someone asks a question who is new at this, I don't address them as a "noob." You are no more important that anyone else here but you act as King and it is simply just extremely annoying.
I've never, never directly addressed ANYONE as a noob. Have I called beginners, as a whole, "noobs", yes...but, that's not meant as a derogatory term. I refer to myself as a noob and many other people here use that phrase.

If I were you, I would not be accusing anyone of "stuffing" fish into a tank. Taking a look at your 200 gal. photos, and the selection you maintain within those living quarters, I hardly believe that you are one to talk about cramming big fish into a tank.
While you're busy looking through my pictures, it might be a good idea to READ the posts also. Never have all of those fish been in the same tank, at the same time. I never said they were. Since you're so concerned for the well-being of my fish, that I currently keep, please...tell me what it's my tank now. Then..maybe just then...could you have any advice about my fish selection.

Bottom line is, if the guy wants a Niger Trigger in his 125 he can and should do it. Show me the last Niger Trigger you've seen that was 20 inches long.
As I've repeatedly said...no one has to listen to my advice. If he wants to put that Niger in the tank, so be it. And, I've seen quite a few Nigers that have been 14" - 18" long.
iv class="quote-block">
Calling me childish will not stop me from pointing out that you're the foolish one, and few care what you have to say.
Seems that you're in the minority of people that think that. The only thing that you've caused is for this thread to be derailed and to be filled with a bunch of nonsense. Your "I'm cool and gonna argue on the internet" mentality should be reserved for 13 yr. old boys, argueing about who's dad could beat up everyone else's dad.

Now, your Majesty, if you could please answer my question as to how much I should feed my Puffer that I have "stuffed" into my tank, I would appreciate it. He is hungry.
I'm too busy, checking on my other loyal subjects to take the time to answer your questions, at this time. Let me check my ever busy schedule and I'll try to get back to you later...once you pay your pentance and bow down to me. The Almighty has spoken.

whitey

Umm, okay. I'm wrong on every account. So are the countless others who have argued with you in the past.
Your "foolish" thoughts are no longer worth responding to.
Good day

aw2

Your "foolish" thoughts are no longer worth responding to.
Good day

Thank goodness!
And, a good day to you too, sir.

mumbulog

how old does a niger have to be to turn that nice color? When I see them at pet stores they are a dark color.
Gordon

titan

For one flash brings out the bright green.Two the older the lighter.Three lighting.Four diet.! with a wide variety.Our two trigs have an alternating diet and never in the same sequence from day to day:Krill,Nori,Mysis,Spirulina injected brine,Hikari marine-A pellets,half-shell clams,and when we do our bi-weekly water change a fresh 6" squid attached to a veggie clip.And yes triggers do get full.Once ours have had enough I toss the rest in the trash.I also have a small container of fresh tank water that has had fresh minced garlic cloves soaked in it.I use a little bit of the salty garlic water to defrost any frozen foods.Our trigs wouldn't touch nori until I dipped in garlic and now they're like heroin addicts for it.