Nissan new 29 bio cube Diary

rotarymagic

+1 on dipping, but if you just put the zoas in there and they came from a lower flow tank and you put them in a really high flow area... it might take awhile for them to adjust especially if they got damaged in transit. Unless they're melting, don't worry about it.

perfectdark

Awesome looking SPS nissan. How long have the zoas been in your tank? Are they opening up more and more every day or do they seem to be stuck like 1/4 open and thats it?
I always iodine dip my corals, I NEVER FW dip them. IMO its counter productive to much stress. My goal when I dip is to not only rid the coral of any pest should they exist, but to also give it a nice dose of iodine like a boost. It helps IMO and mine have all opened much faster after a nice dip. You can use Kents iodine, I use Lugols Coral Dip. Its basically just a concentrated iodine. When I used kents I would fill a container up with enough water from my tank to submerge the coral in. Then I would add the iodine to the water until the mixture turned tea color. As for Lugols I followed the directions on the back. 40 drops per gal for a dip, I just reduce the drops for the amount of measured water i use. I dip the coral for 10 minutes, rinse it with clean SW and put it right into my tank. Within an hour the zoas are usually starting to open. HTH... I hope yours open soon they look like like a paly of some type, and big too.

perfectdark

Well zoas are considered softies... but in most cases yes I do dip everything. But I dont have a lot of knowledge in sps and I dont have any sps so I cant say that it is safe for every coral.

i thought you were supposed to dip SPS for the same reason you dip zoanthids because of pests and such that can hitchhike in on sps and destroy them

nissan577

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2878237
Awesome looking SPS nissan. How long have the zoas been in your tank? Are they opening up more and more every day or do they seem to be stuck like 1/4 open and thats it?
I always iodine dip my corals, I NEVER FW dip them. IMO its counter productive to much stress. My goal when I dip is to not only rid the coral of any pest should they exist, but to also give it a nice dose of iodine like a boost. It helps IMO and mine have all opened much faster after a nice dip. You can use Kents iodine, I use Lugols Coral Dip. Its basically just a concentrated iodine. When I used kents I would fill a container up with enough water from my tank to submerge the coral in. Then I would add the iodine to the water until the mixture turned tea color. As for Lugols I followed the directions on the back. 40 drops per gal for a dip, I just reduce the drops for the amount of measured water i use. I dip the coral for 10 minutes, rinse it with clean SW and put it right into my tank. Within an hour the zoas are usually starting to open. HTH... I hope yours open soon they look like like a paly of some type, and big too.
thanks PD that help alot. the zoas have been in my tank for like a few weeks now. but what i dont get is howcome in my bros tank they opne and he doesnt even dip them. and in mine they dont.
and the sps is great!