Nitrates are high

diana_13

I am wanting to get an anemone but my nitrates are currently too high. I am not sure exactly the best way to get them lower and was wanting any advice or suggestions.
Thanks

emmitt

Water changes and probably less feeding's. What size tank? waht are you parameters? How many fish? what do you feed?

zman1

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/215927/template-to-submit-a-question-for-an-issue-you-are-having
Few items that can impact your NO3 levels
System size:
1.Age of tank
4. Refugium -If yes, size and macro algae type
5. Total system volume
7. Substrate - Type, Depth
8. Live rock - Type and pounds
9. Top off water type (Tap, RO, RO/DI)
10 Change water - Water type, salt type, volume and frequency
System Levels
1. Ammonia
2. Nitrite
3. Nitrate level
9. Test Kits, Monitors,Controllers- Types, age and brand
Livestock
1. List live stock
2. Food types
3. Feeding habits
Additives/supplements
1. What types
2. Quantity and frequency
Equipment
3. Pumps - type quanity, include system turn over
4. Filters - Types and media
5. RO/DI filter(s) age.
6. Protein Skimmer -
Then there are question on keeping an anemone
System Levels
7. Salinity
8. pH
readings right before lights come on
readings right before lights go off
9. Test Kits, Monitors,Controllers- Types, age and brand
Equipment
1. Lighting - Types, Age of bulbs.
2. Lighting schedule

diana_13

I have a 55 gal, with a yellow tang, flame angel, 2 perculas, 3 damsels, and a cleaner shrimp. I feed them flakes, formula 1 & 2, and brine shrimp (sometimes). I only feed once a day. I have been doing water changes every 4 weeks and changing filter cartridges every 4 weeks (2 wks after water change).
I bought some cholerpa (spelling?) and put it in the tank hoping that would help.

emmitt

How much do you feed and how big are your water changes?What is your nitrate level?
Id say do a 25-33% water change every few days if you have a refractometer, until they are back under 10.

diana_13

honestly I can't tell you the current level, I just know the LFS said they were too high (they were very red). I usually change about 25-30 gal, but that is every 4 weeks. One thing I had been told was to do more frequent water changes to see if that helped, but I didn't know if I needed to still do a big one that frequent, or if I could do a smaller one (10-15) and then a larger one and kind of switch out.

zman1

I would agree with Emmitt water changes will bring the level down the fastest provided you don't have nitrate in your source water. You will need to figure out what is causing the rise. I don't use Flake but Bang has said before this can be a source since it sinks to fast for the fish to eat and rots on the bottom. Is Formula 1 and 2 frozen food. Thaw and rinse this with a fine net before adding to the tank. I do this with Mysis shrimp. You may want to try and cut back the feeding a little and see if this helps long term. What do you have on the bottom of your tank for substrate? Are you using RO water? It can take a long time to bring NO3 to a level below 5 and keep it there long term. You need to invest in a test kit and do it yourself. It will give you peace of mind and save money in the long run.

emmitt

Do you have a refractometer? If you do, you can do as big a change as you want. If you don't get 1. You will need it and will be the BEST $50 you ever spend in this hobby. Ive done 30% every other day to get them down.
However much you feed, id say you could cut it in about half and the fish would still be getting enough. Like most of us, you are probably overfeeding. Also, you could get a skimmer. That will definitely help to keep nitrates low.
Last, definitely get your own test kit. Any one. They make a "reef kit" with ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph for $25-30. Not the greatest kit but pretty cheap and effective. Your lfs should have it. At the least get a nitrate and ph test kit.

diana_13

Thank you. I will try to start watching my feedings closer. Formula 1 & 2 are frozen and I thaw them some so I can cut them but I never thought about rinsing them really. I have crushed coral at the bottom of my tank. I do not have a refractometer, and I wasn't really sure what that was honestly. I know I need a test kit and have thought seriously about it but my LFS will do water tests for free so at the moment that seemed the best way to do it, but I will invest in one real soon.
Thank you for your help

joesalmi

I have a buddy that told me that he pulled the bio-wheels off the filter and now he does not have the NitrAte problems. He put them in a sealed bag and stuck them in the freezer. I too am having problems with ammonia and NitrAtes as I type and I have removed the bio-wheels as well. I will let you know of my findings/problems with this...
Okay, I wasn't really thinking about it at the time but yesterday was when I removed my Bio-Wheels. When I tested the NitrAtes yesterday I was at 40ppm. Tonight I am at 5ppm. If that should help any once I get back to 0, which at this rate will be a day or 2 I will put the bio-wheels back in the filter.

emmitt

It is for salt but if you have one you can safely do huge water changes. If you cant match your salinity(among other things) exactly it isnt safe to do multiple large water changes to bring down nitrates.

jojo_b

Diana_13, I noticed you said you have caulerpa? Has it gone sexual? Because if so, that could contribute to a high nitrate level.

zman1

Yes, twice in the past. You know when it does the water is green at first site without even looking in the refuge. However, my NO3 levels range 0- 2, and hasn't gone sexual since the 120 was setup.

diana_13

My water has not visibly changed. I did not know that would happen but I will keep an eye on that. Thank you.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by Diana_13
changing filter cartridges every 4 weeks (2 wks after water change).

Bingo. If you have a filter that uses any kind of "cartridges", this is going to be a major contributor. Get rid of it, or change cartridges once a week.

sleasia

JoJo...what is that? calupera going sexual??? sorry but I need a --- education lesson here...have no clue what this is?

zman1

sleasia,
It's happened to me wholesale twice. I can tell you the effect and look of it. The caulurpa purges all of the chlorophyll the green stuff. It turned my tank/system water visibly cloudy green and the caulurpa becomes translucent. If you google for it, you will see people describing the cause and preventions a bunch of different ways and not many the same.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
Bingo. If you have a filter that uses any kind of "cartridges", this is going to be a major contributor. Get rid of it, or change cartridges once a week.
Agreed...these are for FW tanks. How much LR do you have? Do you have a skimmer? Nice post Zman. You will also need to know your alkalinity level and calcium level if you plan to keep corals/inverts.