No QT

aquaknight

For those that don't QT, what types of fish are you guys keeping? Like I mentioned, if I only had intentions of keeping damsels, a LMB, and a six-line, I wouldn't QT either. Just want to see if any "difficult or expert" fish or Ich prone fish like Powder Tangs or Harlequin Tusks, made it without QT?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A QT is as good (or as bad) as the hobbyist made it. If the QT has good environment, well maintained, quality water levels, then thank the hobbyist. If, on the other hand, the QT has poor water quality, is too small, is poorly maintained, then blame the hobbyist, not the practice of quarantining (which is a totally sound practice). Likely, the individual who has a bad QT, also has a bad fish tank.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2610859
For those that don't QT, what types of fish are you guys keeping? Like I mentioned, if I only had intentions of keeping damsels, a LMB, and a six-line, I wouldn't QT either. Just want to see if any "difficult or expert" fish or Ich prone fish like Powder Tangs or Harlequin Tusks, made it without QT?
I guess I kind of view it in the opposite way AK, if I get a Sohal or Desjardini Tang later this Summer, I would really be leary to put a fish like that in my QT when there is a perfectly good 240 waiting for them. I may be wrong but I think they would be less stressed after a few days in the DT than being in my undersized 25 gallon QT for 4-6 weeks. I would really hate to drop that kind of money on a fish an have them die in QT.
I still have mixed feelings about the QT tank, long term I would like to get a 55 gallon QT/HT, to more appropriatly house larger fish.
I also think the fewer times a fish has to be moved the better off they are...I.E. the move from the store to the QT is no less stressful IMO than the move from the QT to the DT or the store directly to the DT.

dkfloyd

Here is my opinion on the subject for what its worth...
How many people posted in the disease forum about not having a qt and having one from now on. I too was one of those people.
I asked a ton of questions, read a ton of stuff, but of course only after I had a need for a qt. Then I needed to get one up, ready, and fast. I thank a lot of people here for that along with their help.
Anyway, I have only lost one fish to qt. It seems like the most common fish to succumb to its demise are the Angels.
As with this hobby, the qt does need to be handled the same way a person would handle/maintain their dt.
O yeah another reason I only used a 10 gallon tank was that I only bought one fish at a time and always went for the mid size of what was available and never really got anything that was to large to be housed for atleast a few months in the 10 gallon so that was the perfect size for my application.
I agree 100% with this and do the same thing.
Personally, I will always use a qt from now on. To put all my (other) fish at an unnecessary risk is just senseless.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2610885
A QT is as good (or as bad) as the hobbyist made it. If the QT has good environment, well maintained, quality water levels, then thank the hobbyist. If, on the other hand, the QT has poor water quality, is too small, is poorly maintained, then blame the hobbyist, not the practice of quarantining (which is a totally sound practice). Likely, the individual who has a bad QT, also has a bad fish tank.
100% dead on!!! I have a 15 long and a 20. I have never
lost a fish in QT. I have held fish for over a month, without issues. If your QT isn't working well for your fish then take a look at why. Something is wrong.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2611225
I guess I kind of view it in the opposite way AK, if I get a Sohal or Desjardini Tang later this Summer, I would really be leary to put a fish like that in my QT when there is a perfectly good 240 waiting for them. I may be wrong but I think they would be less stressed after a few days in the DT than being in my undersized 25 gallon QT for 4-6 weeks. I would really hate to drop that kind of money on a fish an have them die in QT.
I still have mixed feelings about the QT tank, long term I would like to get a 55 gallon QT/HT, to more appropriatly house larger fish.
I also think the fewer times a fish has to be moved the better off they are...I.E. the move from the store to the QT is no less stressful IMO than the move from the QT to the DT or the store directly to the DT.
You would drop $200 on a fish but not spend the money on a proper QT? That is absolutely silly to me. If that is your taste then I am sure that you have several hundred to a thousand dollars worth of fish in your tank. Why in the WORLD would you risk that? The move from the QT into the DT is not stressful. The fish just came from weeks of being pampered. The fish is now in excellent health. The fish did not have to fight for territory, nor food. No one was tapping on the glass, he had adequate hiding areas. That is quite different from coming from the LFS.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2608737
I gotta be honest here, if you lost many, many, many fish to ich prior to using QT then you had bigger problems in your tank than ich. And I don't know what fish you have so it's difficult to discuss whether a 10 gallon is appropriate.
However, IMHO the vast majority of QT's are inadequately sized, inadequately maintained and inadequately filtered. This theory could easily be proven by simply taking a sample of hobbiests on this site, however the worse the QT, the less likely the person is to admit it in a thread. While there are definitely benefits to QT, in most cases, the detriments outweigh the benefits. This forum is filled with threads exemplifying the failures of QT, however these failures are generally interpreted creatively as successes, (ie. thank goodness that fish died in QT so it couldn't infect all your other fish).
QT is actually a very stressful environment, not a haven. They are generally small with poor biological filtration and poorly maintained. Furthermore the additional capture and transition of fish, especially weakened fish, creates serious health concerns.
There are different ways to maintain an aquarium successfully. QT is not always the best/only option.
I just love a well stated counter argument.

robdog696

I have to agree with all parties on this. First, I know ifirefight is a huge advocate of QTs. When you talk about accessories to this hobby I have to agree that this is one of the best. But I also have to agree with Crimzy. This is a "trend" that I prefer to refer to as the latest innovation. I agree with him completely. While it is one of the best accessories available, it is not essential. And it won't be long before a new innovation comes along and replaces it. Third, I also agree with kjr_trig. If you don't have the proper size QT then you might just be stressing the fish. Not all of us have the money to buy "the proper equipment" and that's not a reason to not "start the hobby".
My LFS owner and close friend does not sell half of the accessories most every person in this thread has on their tank. The cost alone of a "proper" setup would scare half of his customers out the door. Instead he sells a simple closed loop barebottom system that is inexpensive but requires patience. He also preaches that eventually you will want to upgrade, and hopefully your ability will grow beyond his own. I'm finally to the point that I have the resources to do this thing the right way. That includes using my current 58 gallon as my new QT. But without his simple, practical, and wallet friendly approach I would never have gotten into the hobby.