No yellow tang in a 55g???

fshhub

Originally posted by Bluetangclan
Kole and yellow= same fish. I actually prefer the Kole, its max size is slightly smaller than the yellow and I have heard it is less territorial.

yellow eyed is the same as koles
yellow tang is a completely different tang, altogether
but, i agree with you on the koles, otherwise

wrassecal

I think that the swimming room is definately a concern in 55. You don't want a pacing unhappy fish. Whether it be kole or yellow you will want your rock structure to be such that they have "swim" throughs, hiding places and arch type areas where they like to just hang out sometimes.
As far as inches go....well you know what they say about men and their perception of inches:rolleyes: ;)

fshhub

:p :p
YEAH, it is far better than that of ............. a womans
Remember, we do NOT need a ruler to tell you how long things are.
;)
Take for instance,
driving distance
size of a room
height of a tree
lenthg of a fish
or length of other things, in general ;)
We are almost never wrong, esp in the last 2 matters.
:eek: :p :eek:

wrassecal

Honey, we will be leaving our 276 inch room to drive 1,487,562 inches, to see the 960 inch tree after which I will catch us a 32 inch fish for our dinner:rolleyes: :) In this scenario the only thing I know for sure is that on that trip I'd be looking for a good restaurant:D Don't be sad.....the tree is really only 987,000 inches but I had to add some because men won't ask for directions, but that's another story.

fshhub

rotflol
cant argue with the directions issue,
b/c we dont ned to stop and ask for them either, now do we?
we do just fine wihtout them, getting lost is so much easier that way.
errrrr
I mean getting there is so much quicker without stopping...............

nm reef

Wrassecal....LMAO...gotta watch out for them Okies with attitude!!!!:cool:
I got a little to add to this 55 gal system is too small for a yellow tang debate...in my 58 gal fish only there has been a healthy/active yellow tang for going on 30 months....so yup...it must be impossible to keep that yellow tang in such a small space....any day now it'll perish from "too little room syndrome". In all honesty I don't think size is the major issue...they can grow large ... but I believe they can be kept in smaller systems successfully if they are provided proper conditions and the system is stable and well maintained. My yellow is currently about 6"...and I honestly expect to have this fish for several more years. Other tangs can grow much larger and should be provided much more room...but I have proof that a yellow can do rather well in a 58. Now...would I suggest anybody/everybody run out and get one...nope...just sayin that it can be done if care is taken.:cool:
Just to cloud the issue even fither...the yellow tang lives with a killer niger trigger and a rapidly changing red coris wrasse...plus my lil bitty pygmy angel and a single percula clown. All peacefully co-exist and appear healthy. The same system also has a condy anomone that will soon be 2 years old.:cool:

fshhub

Originally posted by Wrassecal
As far as inches go....well you know what they say about men and their perception of inches:rolleyes: ;)

LOL:p

bang guy

Yellow Tang in a 55. Sure, no problem.
Thing is, your chance of success increases greatly with a 6' or longer tank. That's all. IMO the odds are against you with a 4' tank and with you in the 6'+tank. That's all it comes down to. You can successfully overcome these odds by being diligent with everything else and this includes careful stocking.
If you're a new hobbiest that's another strike against the odds simply because this hobby is still more art than science. After 10 years you can just glance at a tank even if it's not yours and tell if something is amiss. After 25 you can glance and know what to do because you've already experienced the majority of mistakes. ;)
Just an opinion. Best of luck whatever you choose.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I had a very negetive exp a few mos ago with a full size yellow tang. I still think of it and shiver. The fish was LARGE. Max. full-size. It was in a tiny cubile at the LPS [we don't have a fish store]. The poor thing could not even turn around. It was sad, pathetic, grotesque. A wk latter I went back and it was still there.........I was hoping it had been picked up by someone with a big tank.

c_bell

Hey LeBoeuf
I bought one of the 6" Yellow Tangs that you saw in Houston. They are hands down the healthiest YT that I have seen. Mine is in my 125 gal and right now the only fish thats in there. I wouldnt dream of putting one that size in a 55 gal. Although I very rarely see them 5"+ . I 'll post a pic of him when I get home.