Nostalgia... Cause sometimes it's the little things.

Bryce E

I was recently down in Mexico and went to a nice restaurant right on the coast. They had a saltwater holding tank for the Abalone they served. I's very popular and it doesn't stay in there long. I love to try new things so I ordered some. It was as fresh as it gets and it was AMAZING. It was a great experience and I brought back the shell to put in my tank. It makes for good decor and I think it will be cool to be able to look in there and reminisce.
20150224_205012.jpg

snakeblitz33

I've never eaten abalone before, but I know they have some really pretty shells. I use them as inlays in different ornate wood projects.

Bryce E

It was absolutely amazing. Try it if you get the chance (if you like seafood). It was sushimi style so they served it raw with onions and some kind of vinaigrette dressing. It wasn't fishy at all and had a little bit of a chewy consistency like snails. The shells are very pretty. Gotta like the mother of pearl.

snakeblitz33

Abalone shells aren't mother of pearl are they? I thought mother of pearl came from a certain type of oyster?

Bryce E

umm.. I'd have to check but I thought that pearl oysters, abalone and maybe a couple of other things made mother of pearl and that mother of pearl refers to specific species that make that shiny, rainbow colored layer in the sea shells. Which not a lot of animals make

mandy111

Hi have an abalone in my tank, she is beautiful and one of the most efficient algae eaters I have, in fact i have had to move her to the sump because my tank is too clean and she is struggling to find food. Had her about a year now.
Abalone.JPG

Bryce E

Love it! I saw them in their tanks and was thinking I should ask them to try to send me one. Super cool Mandy. Is that a pink Goiniopora? I've never seen a pink one.. very pretty.

mandy111

Love it! I saw them in their tanks and was thinking I should ask them to try to send me one. Super cool Mandy. Is that a pink Goiniopora? I've never seen a pink one.. very pretty.
Yeah lots of aussies have Abalone in the tank here.They are suprisingly good with corals, they never knock things off and work there way around really well. Yes thats classed as a red goni,,,,unfortunaley I am addicted to goni's, i have a total of 13 in my tank, i love their colours,

I have a video of her eating seaweed, the tank so lacked algea I had to tie seaweed to a rock every night for her to feed, she knew what time and where to come
very interesting creatures indeed.

Bryce E

Incredible. I must say. Thank you for sharing. Your tank is so beautiful. I have a Green Goniopora that is doing very well. I've gotta move it to my larger tank because it's just taken off. I really like that red goni.

Here's some pics to show the growth over the time I've had it.
20150109_192603.jpg
20150111_115836.jpg
2015011095143212.jpg
20150223_174458.jpeg

mandy111

OMG ! thats what I call extension........beautiful indeed......they are a stunning coral, and yours had had good growth,just keep doing what your doing because its obviously working.....can I ask what you keep your nitrates and phosphates at please. And do you feed yours at all ?

Bryce E

Not sure on the phosphates. I haven't been testing for it for like 5 months. But will be getting a kit for it soon because I'm about to get some SPS going once my light comes in.

Nitrates I try and keep under 10 but they do get up there sometimes. They will hit 20 (Yikes) If I skip a water change after only 1 or 2 weeks. So I try to stay on top of that. It's likely because I don't run a skimmer on this tank and it's very small.

I do feed it. It accepts lots of stuff... the feeding response is pretty decent. It will feed on the smaller pieces of the frozen foods I use (mysis and brine) and it also eat flakes. I use microvert as well but I haven't actually seen it feed on that. But it really likes to feed off of these (I think if I can remember) algae/protien waffers/discs that I have that I think are for freshwater tanks... I feed them to my crabs and when the crabs feed on them the wafers break up and create a bunch of "marine snow" in the tank and the goni really likes that. responds more to that than anything else.

I'm really hoping to have long term success with this coral and get it to propagate.

mandy111

Not sure on the phosphates. I haven't been testing for it for like 5 months. But will be getting a kit for it soon because I'm about to get some SPS going once my light comes in.

Nitrates I try and keep under 10 but they do get up there sometimes. They will hit 20 (Yikes) If I skip a water change after only 1 or 2 weeks. So I try to stay on top of that. It's likely because I don't run a skimmer on this tank and it's very small.

I do feed it. It accepts lots of stuff... the feeding response is pretty decent. It will feed on the smaller pieces of the frozen foods I use (mysis and brine) and it also eat flakes. I use microvert as well but I haven't actually seen it feed on that. But it really likes to feed off of these (I think if I can remember) algae/protien waffers/discs that I have that I think are for freshwater tanks... I feed them to my crabs and when the crabs feed on them the wafers break up and create a bunch of "marine snow" in the tank and the goni really likes that. responds more to that than anything else.

I'm really hoping to have long term success with this coral and get it to propagate.
looking at the extension and growth you have had on it I would suggest it is very possible to get some fragging happening, they are fairly slow skeleton growers though so take your time. Our largest red Gonipora is almost 3 yrs old now and we have had about 5 frags from her, she is ready again to frag but being lazy we haven't done it yet. Warn you now they can sulk & close up for a while after fragging they are very temperamental corals. But good luck If I can be of any help please let me know.

mandy111

@Bryce E I am wondering if the Seachem Matrix might help you with your nitrates. I use 2kg in my sump and everyone that has had high nitrates that I've recommended this product too has had great success with it lowing numbers. Although it takes about 2 months to grow enough bacteria to start working. Never needs replacing only need rinsing every few month to stop detritus build up. Take a look at the Seachem site and have a read, you migh find it really helpful.

Bryce E

I appreciate that. I would love the help when I'm ready to frag. And yeah I was thinking about getting a small hang on skimmer and have been thinking about carbon dosing. I'll check out the seachem matrix. Maybe I could do a small hang on the back "refugium" to house it.

mandy111

I appreciate that. I would love the help when I'm ready to frag. And yeah I was thinking about getting a small hang on skimmer and have been thinking about carbon dosing. I'll check out the seachem matrix. Maybe I could do a small hang on the back "refugium" to house it.
I carbon dosed for 9 months, my gonis hated it.(hence i stopped) They do actually like some nutrients in the water, they actually say goniporas come from dirty water naturally when collected. I certainly don't consider your or my water dirty but 0 of phos and nitrates is not good for gonis at all. I tried it and the polyp extension was halved & in fact some closed up completely..

Bryce E

Yeah they live in lagoon areas I think. Which is weird that they are known for being almost impossible to keep long term. We shall see. Thanks for the heads up on the dosing.

mandy111

Yeah they live in lagoon areas I think. Which is weird that they are known for being almost impossible to keep long term. We shall see. Thanks for the heads up on the dosing.
I have also heard they dont often live past 12 months in aquariums, but I am sure you will be able to prove them wrong as I have. Your going so very well with that one.