not a fish question - but need help

Ok i know this is not a fish tank question - but I have just found about 10 - 12 fleas on my mini shanuazer (sorry about spelling) i gave her a good soaking in an 10 min bath and that has seemed to kill everything that was on her. I am currently washing her beading in the hottest water and soapy with light bleach to kill what is on her bedding. NOW WHAT DO I DO?

meowzer

Get the 30day advantage....you could usually get single doses from your vet.....it works great...
they probably have a good pump spray too...so nothing gets in the air

be2lose

Originally Posted by swilliamson79
http:///forum/post/3154185
NOW WHAT DO I DO?
Do you have carpets? Put some fea powder on the carpet and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.
When I had a outbreak from my mostly outside cat (way more than 10-12 flea's) I did this everyday and left the vacuum outside incase any lived and wanted to escape.

big

Do be careful if using dust,a cover of some sort sealing off from the room may be in order when vacuuming the carpet or spreading powder.......Especially when vacuuming the exhaust will still contain the toxic dust........
Who was it that just had a huge crash from the same issue ???

Good call on covering things I would have never thought to cover the fish tank- tx guys and gals - it's been a few hours now - I just checed her again n found one - so it looks like daily bathes for her for awhile

jaodissa

Do not use flea soap on your dog everyday. It will really hurt your dogs skin. If you want to wash the dog everyday try using a natural flea replant like lemon dish soap! Also you can sprinkle borax powered and vacuum it up. Eucalyptus leaves and essential oils are also helpful. Fleas do not like the smell so they stay away. My dog is very allergic to fleas and the front line/advantage meds so we have to use natural products on him.

jemshores

Originally Posted by swilliamson79
http:///forum/post/3154354
Good call on covering things I would have never thought to cover the fish tank- tx guys and gals - it's been a few hours now - I just checed her again n found one - so it looks like daily bathes for her for awhile
Dawn dish detergent is the best! Use that if you can-brings em right to the top of their coat and suffocates them!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3154188
Get the 30day advantage....you could usually get single doses from your vet.....it works great...
they probably have a good pump spray too...so nothing gets in the air
+1million. Advantage or frontlline. Put it on you rdog once a month and thats it. No sprays, no powders! No worry about what gets in your tank!

scsinet

My vet turned me onto a pill called CapStar. It's a pill that apparently will actually kill the fleas and eggs already on the animal for 24 hours. We use it on our dog whenever we know she's going to be exposed to fleas, like if she is going to be near a dog we know has them. The stuff is cheap... couple bucks each.
What I was told (keep in mind I was told this, double check what I'm saying here) is that the preventatives like Frontline or Advantage are effective at keeping the fleas off the dog, but once on there, you need to take more definitive action like flea baths, combing, and/or something like Capstar to get them off the dog quicker.
You still have your house to contend with though....
One word of caution regarding preventatives and flea shampoo... there is a chemical used in a lot of grocery store brand flea drops and shampoos (hartz is one I know for sure) called Permethrin (spelling??). This stuff can be incredibly dangerous if your dog has a reaction to it. There are tons of stories of dogs dying after treatment. I had been using it for a while out of ignorance, my dog never had a problem, but I stopped using it anyway. My neighbor got some for his dog a couple weeks ago and the dog nearly died, they had to rush her to a 24 hour emergency animal hospital. Frontline and Advantage are more expensive, but do NOT have this problem.

bathing her daily will do her more harm than good. go to the vet and get advantage. buy the dose for big dogs, its not much more in cost and its only difference is that it has more in the tube so it will last you longer. this will kill any fleas that are on her. but bathing daily definately isnt the answer.
hope to help.

browniebuck

if you use the advantix or the frontline for three months (1 dose monthly), it will take care of any fleas that are in the house as well (they are looking for something to jump onto...and when they do, they die.
My vet found one flea on my shetland sheepdog puppy and told us to use the frontline or advantix for 3 months....3 months ago, no fleas now. Flea dips, flea shampoos, and/or flea bombs will cause harm to your animal...I know that these medications are rather expensive, but they do the job (I think that it was about $50 or so per animal to get the 3 month supply).

nw2salt08

If you want to vacuum them up without using powder, put a flea collar in your vacuum bag or container and vacuum every day. This works really well. I do this for my carpet and haven't had to worry about them.

darthtang aw

Treat your yard. You guys are having him treat the symptoms without treating the problem as well. Spread 7Seven dust all over your outdoor property...do this monthly untill it drops below freezing and do this again when it gets warm again next year. You can do everything everyone else has told you to do, but the fleas are coming from somewhere on your property.
I would Fog the entire house as well.
Flea eggs can survive 90 days in dormancy....their protective shell makes it hard for the eggs to be destroyed.

I have thought about bombing the house but with fish tank and two small kids I don't like the ideal - I got frontline - only when I put one her - through the hair it ran down her side and all over her hair to. She is kept trimmed really short on her back - will this make it harder to apply the frontline and will it be less effective with short hair? Does it quit working after being groomed? I looked into getting capstar n really like the ideal of it - but to make it effective like frntline u also have to use the "program" pill too- which is 59.00 for a month supply on top of the capstar pill. Another question to those whom have smaller dogs - do u buy the larger bottles for a couple of more dollars n divided the dose down and use it?

nina&noah

Let me start off by saying that I don't like poisons and my family lives a pretty organic lifestyle. Some people don't believe in all natural, homeopathic remedies so I won't waste my time typing them out if you are not interested. I have several recipes for flea baths, flea collars, house cleaners, etc... Let me know if you are interested. I will tell you that peppermint oil on your dog and lavender oil on his bedding are excellent flea deterents. My little dog (in my avatar) has had maybe 3 fleas in her 8 years of life.
Please don't bomb your house! Trust your instincts with that one. You don't want to fill your family's sanctuary with toxins over a couple of fleas!

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by nina&noah
http:///forum/post/3155773
Let me start off by saying that I don't like poisons and my family lives a pretty organic lifestyle. Some people don't believe in all natural, homeopathic remedies so I won't waste my time typing them out if you are not interested. I have several recipes for flea baths, flea collars, house cleaners, etc... Let me know if you are interested. I will tell you that peppermint oil on your dog and lavender oil on his bedding are excellent flea deterents. My little dog (in my avatar) has had maybe 3 fleas in her 8 years of life.
Please don't bomb your house! Trust your instincts with that one. You don't want to fill your family's sanctuary with toxins over a couple of fleas!
Ok, how do you kill the eggs that are now present in the house? See you do lots of preventative measures, in this case the poster had done no preventative measures and found 12 fleas and then more fleas after the "flea" bath. He is beyond homiopathic preventatives at this point....
As I stated the flea egg stage can stay dormant 90 days..and can hatch as quickly as 2 days if their is a suitable host. They also have a protective coating that very few chemicals and homiopathic products or solutions can penetrate. there are two solutions...Fog the house or the other is to spread boric acid powder out over your carpet.....however this might not be ideal with small children....as the boric acid will in bed itself into the carpet fibers...thus exposing you, your family, and small pets to the boric acid for a long time.While a very mild acid compound that exists naturally, it is still an acid.
Each flea can lay up to 800 eggs through out its life as an adult adult stage. and about 40 eggs a day. The adult flea can als create a hard pupae casing around itself when their is no host for it that can sustain it for up to a year. So basically if the flea jumped off your dog and gets in the carpet and is now repelled from the dog by other products, this adult flea can make a casing and sustain itself in your home for a year until it finds another host (IE. child, other animal,etc...).
You found 3 fleas in 8 years, he found a dozen or so in one day.
The other thing to remember is depending on what yopu are using for your flea bath. It might not be able to be mixed with a frontline or similar product for 2 weeks as you could poison the dog. Need to know what flea bath you are using. After you frontline or similar product, you can NOT get the dog wet or a bath for atleast 2 weeks.
But go ahead and ignore the guy that runs an animal pet spa for dogs and cats....I don't know what I am talking about.

stdreb27

As someone who lives somewhere it never freezes, we have fleas.
But what you are going to want to do, is dip your dog. I'm not as familar with the products they are recommending.
Then for your house, you need to treat it twice. I've used 7dust with very good results. Sprinkle it in your house, everywhere. Let it sit for about 20 or 30 minutes, then vacuum. After 11 days, repeat. (gestiation period of flea eggs) then you might have to do it again a third time. (had to do this once)
But cover your tank, shut everything off, while vacuuming etc. I'd leave it off for a little while after you vacuum since it does go airborn.
A guy on here treated his house for fleas, but forgot to take care of his tank, and the whole thing crashed...

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3155925
As someone who lives somewhere it never freezes, we have fleas.
But what you are going to want to do, is dip your dog. I'm not as familar with the products they are recommending.
Then for your house, you need to treat it twice. I've used 7dust with very good results. Sprinkle it in your house, everywhere. Let it sit for about 20 or 30 minutes, then vacuum. After 11 days, repeat. (gestiation period of flea eggs) then you might have to do it again a third time. (had to do this once)
But cover your tank, shut everything off, while vacuuming etc. I'd leave it off for a little while after you vacuum since it does go airborn.
A guy on here treated his house for fleas, but forgot to take care of his tank, and the whole thing crashed...
may as well use a fogger if you are going to do that.
http://www.gardentech.com/images/06G..._432-1210_.pdf

nina&noah

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3155919
Ok, how do you kill the eggs that are now present in the house? See you do lots of preventative measures, in this case the poster had done no preventative measures and found 12 fleas and then more fleas after the "flea" bath. He is beyond homiopathic preventatives at this point....
As I stated the flea egg stage can stay dormant 90 days..and can hatch as quickly as 2 days if their is a suitable host. They also have a protective coating that very few chemicals and homiopathic products or solutions can penetrate. there are two solutions...Fog the house or the other is to spread boric acid powder out over your carpet.....however this might not be ideal with small children....as the boric acid will in bed itself into the carpet fibers...thus exposing you, your family, and small pets to the boric acid for a long time.While a very mild acid compound that exists naturally, it is still an acid.
Each flea can lay up to 800 eggs through out its life as an adult adult stage. and about 40 eggs a day. The adult flea can als create a hard pupae casing around itself when their is no host for it that can sustain it for up to a year. So basically if the flea jumped off your dog and gets in the carpet and is now repelled from the dog by other products, this adult flea can make a casing and sustain itself in your home for a year until it finds another host (IE. child, other animal,etc...).
You found 3 fleas in 8 years, he found a dozen or so in one day.
The other thing to remember is depending on what yopu are using for your flea bath. It might not be able to be mixed with a frontline or similar product for 2 weeks as you could poison the dog. Need to know what flea bath you are using. After you frontline or similar product, you can NOT get the dog wet or a bath for atleast 2 weeks.
But go ahead and ignore the guy that runs an animal pet spa for dogs and cats....I don't know what I am talking about.
Darth, I don't understand why it annoys you so much that I suggested a homeopathic approach. We lecture all the time about having a "naturalist" approach to the aquarium, and then suggest poisons to treat our home. It doesn't make sense to me.
Since you asked, what I would do is buy nematodes to release in the yard. The nematodes eat the fleas in all stages of its lifecycle. Do a google search on nematodes and fleas for more info. Then, I would soak my dog in a peppermint tea bath and comb her out real well to make sure I got rid of them all. I would use pyrethrum powder on the carpets. All of these items are available online. The pyrethrum powder and peppermint tea can be bought at a healthfood store.
Darth, that is just what I would do. I never said you didn't know what you were talking about. You're right about everything you said. I was just letting the OP and anyone else who is interested know that there are other options. That is all.