Nova Extreme Pro questions

drewsbrews

Yes the fixture came with 10k and 460nm bulbs. If your corals are doing fine with the stock bulbs I's say stick with it until time to change em. One of the aquasuns failed after only a week or so. I popped one of the stock 10ks in it's place and left it at that. I'm not the most impressed with the color from my bulb selection, colors on the rocks are washed out, but I'm not too picky. The few little sps corals I have (monti, and acro) are growing at a surprising rate.
As for the fans I cut out the grill guards on both sides and added two in "pusher" configuration and 2 on the other side "pulling". Lots of air flow with little noise. way less air whoosh sound, more a dull hum now. I just added a little 12v power supply connected to the actinic power inside the unit since they would be the first on and last off.
In the end I probably should have just gone with the Tek light after the bulbs and fan mods I did. That's the main thing about the tek light.. Comes with no bulbs and since it's only ambient cooling (no fans), when you add the acrylic guard it gets hot. Besides that the only other downside I see is the Tek is steel, and could easily turn into a rust bucket after a year or so over an open top tank.