Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

novahobbies

Thanks, Slice!
Oh yeah, I got my painting in the mail yesterday!

No, I haven't taken a picture of it. But I have to say....it's HUGE! I don't think I should matte this after all. It's just so....so....BIG! It's also frelling beautiful IMO. Can't wait to frame this pretty girl!
I've had a busy day at work today. Spent 30 minutes making dynamo labels for the electrical cords on my 110g re-build project. LOL.

novahobbies

I need to kick my wife out of town for weekend conferences more often.
This isn't horse tank related, but....
So far this weekend (counting Friday night), I have:
Pulled out and finished an old Star Trek resin model,
Painted the entire dining room with a 2-tone paint scheme (chair rail will be added soon)
Purchased and cut most of the wood for the 110g tank project and the side cabinets/bookcases
Cleaned the kitchen
Mounted the plate rack in the dining room
All that, and I can say I was able to kick back, relax, and watch some annoying geek movies that my wife hates. With dinner last night that was decidedly bad for me. And it's not even 5pm on Saturday!
Tomorrow I will finish cutting the panels for the side cabinets. If I can get someone over here to help me move the tank off the stand, I will drag the stand out and start applying the new skin.
Here's a laugh for you. I'm SUCH a party animal. My aunt called me yesterday and wanted to know what I was doing that night since I had a bachelor evening. So I said, "Well, first I'm going to go to...."
And she finished for me, "Home Depot....."
And she was right.

novahobbies

Pre water change chemistry:
Ammonia: Not tested
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 30 ppm
Phos: 0 ppm
Mag: 1700
pH: 7.8
dKH: 7-8 dKH
**EDIT**
Ca: 460ml/L
Salinity: 36ppt (probably 35.5)
Yep. pH and dKH are both low, KH is VERY low. Magnesium is VERY high if this test is correct, and frustratingly a possible explanation of my Acan colonies, who have not been doing well and (from a previous deliberate Mag spike) I have seen them to be very susceptible to very high Mag rates. The trouble is that I have NO idea where the Mag is coming from, since I don't dose it. I'm going to test the new water-change water and see what the base level of Magnesium and Calcium is.

novahobbies

I just tested a few parameters of the water change water. pH is 8.2 (good), Calcium is 460 (good), but Magnesium is 1600. OK, not good. I've read that some salt brands artificially increase the magnesium content, but still....this seems high, and my current reading is even higher! Grrr. Now I have to track down my LFS and see what salt they're using, or if my test kit is misreading. Does anyone know of a good Magnesium kit besides Red Sea...one that won't break the bank?

novahobbies

I don't have my own RODI, so I buy RODI and saltwater from my LFS. I just called them, and they don't use salt -- they're one of the ones that gets SW straight from the ocean. It's one of the nice things about living on the coast, there are companies that go out and "harvest" SW for fish stores.
When I told them the test readings I pulled, they were genuinely surprised. Now I have to wonder if my test kit is faulty. Only way to know is to get another test kit, so I guess I'll be spending an extra $20 on a salifert kit. The test kit I have now is a Red Sea kit, and it's not really that old.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/680#post_3472063
I don't have my own RODI, so I buy RODI and saltwater from my LFS. I just called them, and they don't use salt -- they're one of the ones that gets SW straight from the ocean. It's one of the nice things about living on the coast, there are companies that go out and "harvest" SW for fish stores.
When I told them the test readings I pulled, they were genuinely surprised. Now I have to wonder if my test kit is faulty. Only way to know is to get another test kit, so I guess I'll be spending an extra $20 on a salifert kit. The test kit I have now is a Red Sea kit, and it's not really that old.
That's why I like the SeaChem kits, they have a regent that comes with each test so I can double check that the test is accurate.

novahobbies

Nobody local has the Mag test in stock, so I guess I'll either have to order one online. I buffered the tank this time to help with the KH and the pH, so I'll retest that before the weekend. Predictably, I had a macro die-off of the C. mexicana. That stuff seems like it dissolves if you look at it funny.....and that's the only way I know how to look! The C. prolifera is fine, and is currently exploding because of the nutrients released from the mexicana.
Other than the Mag levels and the Acans, the tank is in pretty good shape. The chiller keeps me around 73....I'd go lower but I worry it would mean the chiller would run too much. I am probably going to get a single 120W LED pendant after I come back from Hawaii. I have been looking at some from China that may be promising, and I think I may use these for my 110. I thought it would be nice to get one to start and test it on the horse tank....more on that if it actually happens. $360 for 2 units is pretty good, and just about the same price as the MH fixture I was thiinking of using for the 110.
I haven't done many pics lately, so I'll try for some tonight. Suffice it to say, all four horses are doing well, look fat and happy, and the Mandarins are doing their usual routine. I have NO idea if I even have a Rainford's Goby anymore....I NEVER see him. Worst 40 bucks I ever spent. Eh. What are you gonna do.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/680#post_3472556
Nobody local has the Mag test in stock, so I guess I'll either have to order one online. I buffered the tank this time to help with the KH and the pH, so I'll retest that before the weekend. Predictably, I had a macro die-off of the C. mexicana. That stuff seems like it dissolves if you look at it funny.....and that's the only way I know how to look! The C. prolifera is fine, and is currently exploding because of the nutrients released from the mexicana.
Other than the Mag levels and the Acans, the tank is in pretty good shape. The chiller keeps me around 73....I'd go lower but I worry it would mean the chiller would run too much. I am probably going to get a single 120W LED pendant after I come back from Hawaii. I have been looking at some from China that may be promising, and I think I may use these for my 110. I thought it would be nice to get one to start and test it on the horse tank....more on that if it actually happens. $360 for 2 units is pretty good, and just about the same price as the MH fixture I was thiinking of using for the 110.
I haven't done many pics lately, so I'll try for some tonight. Suffice it to say, all four horses are doing well, look fat and happy, and the Mandarins are doing their usual routine. I have NO idea if I even have a Rainford's Goby anymore....I NEVER see him. Worst 40 bucks I ever spent. Eh. What are you gonna do.

LOL...It has been a week since I spotted the pipes. Everytime I give them up for dead I spot one of them, they like the little space behind the in-tank refugium...no doubt the pods hide there too....I see my Hectors goby out all the time. Can I keep a blue neon goby with a Hectors?
LOL.... speak of the little devils...I just found one resting under the shelf at the top of the back columns....maybe they are nocturnal.

novahobbies

Well I did a tank water change last night, and I wound up taking 80% of the C. prolifera out in disgust....it just gets EVERYWHERE and blows around, only puts down holdfasts in places I don't want it too. I'll probably sell some of it back the store tomorrow (it's in a container with water and light right now). The little bit I left will hopefully grow back in with holdfasts in the sand...I hope. I still had some mexicana in there, and honestly I think I've decided I like the way it grows a little more.
The bad news is, I was holding out hope that the Rainford's was back there somewhere. Still don't see him, so I'm going to call it and admit I have another Rainford's casualty.
A fish that small wouldn't have left a body I'm sure...it would have been bristleworm food in minutes. Crap. I REALLY want one for this tank, but I don't know if I should try for fish #3. Very frustrating.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/680#post_3474055
Well I did a tank water change last night, and I wound up taking 80% of the C. prolifera out in disgust....it just gets EVERYWHERE and blows around, only puts down holdfasts in places I don't want it too. I'll probably sell some of it back the store tomorrow (it's in a container with water and light right now). The little bit I left will hopefully grow back in with holdfasts in the sand...I hope. I still had some mexicana in there, and honestly I think I've decided I like the way it grows a little more.
The bad news is, I was holding out hope that the Rainford's was back there somewhere. Still don't see him, so I'm going to call it and admit I have another Rainford's casualty.
A fish that small wouldn't have left a body I'm sure...it would have been bristleworm food in minutes. Crap. I REALLY want one for this tank, but I don't know if I should try for fish #3. Very frustrating.
Wow...my prolifera pulls up by the stream of holdfasts under the sand, and when I transplanted it to the 90g I just pushed the line into the sandbed. It finally took off in the 90g and the cyano disappeared on it's own when I increased the water flow. I don't care what macros you have in the tank as long as you have some type in there, I really don't see being able to keep a horse tank without them. The extra nutrients from wasted food is just too much.
I had a huge problem with Chaeto, it broke apart and went everywhere and clogged the pumps...what a nightmare.

novahobbies

Yeah, that's also an issue with me. I had Chaeto in the clump of Prolifera, and like you I now have little twigs of chaeto all over. LOL it's great stuff for a sump, not so fun in a display tank IMO.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/680#post_3474079
Yeah, that's also an issue with me. I had Chaeto in the clump of Prolifera, and like you I now have little twigs of chaeto all over. LOL it's great stuff for a sump, not so fun in a display tank IMO.
Totally agree. Chaeto does not belong in the DT for sure. I read that the little break up is how it goes sexual...so I guess it's better than the tank turning milky looking.
Well my cyano is going away but my sand is covered in diatom algae...sigh..this too shall pass. My water has a green tinge to it, even though I have a skimmer going. My 56g looks so good compared to the 90g...I even spotted one of the pipes today already...I don't know if I still have two, I only see one at a time and can't tell one from the other. The prolifera really took off in the 90g...it isn't as tall but has all kinds of new sprouts, I'm really surprised considering how cold the water is.

novahobbies

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here. Tank has been in low-grade maintenance mode lately, while I focus on other projects. I'm doing a 10g WC tonight along with filters, etc, to prepare for the 12 day Hawaii trip. I have a horse sitter who will be coming over once a day to feed them and check on the skimmer cup.
The tank has had some caulerpa blooming in places it ought not bloom......I'm guessing the last time the C. mexicana went sexual, a good number of spores settled in the rock. Which isn't a good thing; it's choking out a few zoa colonies and my little xenia pom as well. Trouble is, the stuff that's growing back is SO fragile...there's no hope of peeling it all off. Best I can do is let it grow streamers to hold on to, then peel as much as possible away. Shame I can't toss a tang in here for a week, LOL!
As for the horses.....all seem to be in good health. My WC girl MAY be getting a bubble on her tail again
but it's too small to be sure....I'll have to watch it when I get back from the trip. The other 3 kiddies are doing great, and I've seen my Mandarins spawn a couple times right after the lights go out, which is cool. No Rainford's. Pretty sure he became bristle worm food.

novahobbies

Cross your fingers that the horses all do fine....T minus 10 hours before wheels-up, and I'll be gone for 12 days!! Worried 'bout the ponies, but I'm sure they'll be OK.....
...Sort of which I had a web-enabled digicam I could point at the tank. I might get one before the next trip. Just to see what the buggers are doing....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/680#post_3477003
Cross your fingers that the horses all do fine....T minus 10 hours before wheels-up, and I'll be gone for 12 days!! Worried 'bout the ponies, but I'm sure they'll be OK.....
...Sort of which I had a web-enabled digicam I could point at the tank. I might get one before the next trip. Just to see what the buggers are doing....

I think that's a great idea. We have the technolog to keep an eye on everything, now if we could only get a robot to do what we need done.....