Now...here's a fish that you don't see everyday

lubeck

That is awesome. the color is nice. it kinda sucks you have to go outside to see them . but i'm sure you're in the equipment room on a daily basis. nice work, your an inspiration to say the least.

aw2x3

Steve...great to see you back! I've been following you, on here as well as on --, for quite a long time!
If you would be so kind, please email me and let me know where I'd be able to get ahold of a few Grunt Sculpins. I think they're the greatest little fish!
Thanks!!
garnera80@hotmail.com

steveweast

Grunt sculpins are found in the eel grasss beds in Puget Sound. They are kind of hard to spot. It's best to hunt for them in the dead of winter when the plankton/phyto blooms are at a minimum and visability is at a maximum. I've been looking for some on my last few dives....but....no luck.....the vis is just not good this time of year....maybe in Dec.

stephanied

Steve.......Your tanks are fabulous. I found your website over the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I look forward to seeing more of your tanks.

ray28576

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but how much are your tanks insured for. LOL. You have to have at least $30,000 invested into them and equipment. It looks like its well worth whatever you have invested in it though.
Great pics.

steveweast

Water temp is 58F. The fish are from Tasmania (all but one anyway)....the inverts are from Puget Sound (except for a couple of stars). There's really way too many critters in there to research and find scientic names.....since no common names exist like in warm water it becomes a long research task....sorry..... but, If there is something in particular that you want to know....I can find that out for you....but, I've never been a stock list guy.

yupi1982

What planet are you from!!!!!
take me there...i want to see more of those animals....hahaha
AWESOME dude...you myust be very wealthy ...!!! :happyfish

steveweast

Yes, that is a grunt sculpin....a common fish found in the eel grass beds of Puget Sound.
As for which planet.....I'd say planet "west coast" All these items and more are found in the cool/cold waters of the west coast.....except for some of the fish which come from the colder regions of Australia.

crabsrkewl

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Johnny
None of these old images survived the board upgrade, but here's a shot of Steve's trunkfish... there is one available online on a major retailer right now for $700...

SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! darn I wanted one

dual45s

Definately an interesting twist to the SW hobby. Maybe if I get that job out in Redmond, WA we could go diving. Your whole setup is astounding.

hagfish

That thing is awesome. You need to get a dive team together and start disributing this stuff commercially. Seriously. Nobody is selling this stuff right now and it looks like it's not much more difficult or expensive to keep than a warm water reef tank. With some decent marketing, there could be a whole new segment to reef keeping.