Nutri-Seawater?

wilks18702

***** has a product that they call Real Ocean Water. Its actuall sea water. It comes from the Catlina Water Company, it costs 9.99 per 5 gallons. Then pick up a bottle of Fritzyme Turbo Start. and dump it in. You tank will be golden!!!! I have used these two products and I have had no problems that I did not cause myself. The water is great, no mixing, no phosphates, no nothing, just pure real salt water. Salt water that you mix, no matter how good of a job you do mixing it, is still fake saltwater. The turbo start adds all the good bacteria. All the major aquariums have used turbo start to cycle their tanks. It cycled my tank, with fish in it, in 5 days.
Good Luck!
Tom
http://www.fritzpet.com/index.html
http://www.catalinawater.com/

crustymonk

We have a pier here in San Diego that has a filtered pump that pumps form the ocean. Its all free. Just drive right up to the pump and fill up. All the LFS around here use it and they its great. Just dont fill up after it rains.

stanlalee

when 55 gallon salt bags cost $5.99 at the LFS and RO is next to free at home there is nothing to motivate me to try sea or premade saltwater. I'm sure it works like....well saltwater.

saltwater8

Well, when you start flushing $100 fish down your toilet, them maybe it will :thinking:
BTW, what kind of sea"salt" are you getting for $5.99 for 55 gallons?

pclown

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Well, when you start flushing $100 fish down your toilet, them maybe it will :thinking:
I am sorry to say and please dont take offense but if anyone cant keep a fish with RO Water and a normal salt mix such Instant Ocean then Nutra-sea or any other premix water is not going to help you.
It is your money and you should and can spend anyway you want but the people here are telling to save your money because they know that that is not needed, and it is not.
I have a couple of friends that I can only hope that I will have a tank as nice as theirs and they use RO water w/a saltmix.

saltwater8

Ok, well, I just read:
"The Toxicity of Some Freshly Mixed Artificial Sea Water; A Bad Beginning for a Reef Aquarium." By: Ronald L. Shimek Ph.D.
It makes you think twice about using salt and RO water.....
:happyfish

fishisfun7

Originally Posted by bluelagoon
ok, i use the nutri-seawater in my 5 gal tank. it's the only water i've ever used. this is because it's the only water i can buy in town cuz it just isn't practical to drive half an hour to buy water. and i can't make my own cuz it isn't practical in a dorm room. i can also only the the 4.4 gal size. which is a pain cuz the tank is like eye level with me. lol. anyways.
i have no problem with the water. my pH is a constant 8.2. yes the salinity is 1.027. i'd post a current pic of my tank, but i need to clean the front. lol.
also my friend down the hall in my dorm uses the same water. we have no problem with it whatsoever. i've had my tank up since august, and hers has been up since december. we really don't have any problem with it.

WOW! That Salinity is high! What do you have in that 5 gallon tank? 1 fish I am guessing. Word to the wise. If it isn't a reef tank, go way lower with the salinity. you could easily go way lower and prolong the life of that fish.

stanlalee

55 gallon Instant ocean bag cost $5.99 every day all day at Fish Safari in Virginia beach Virginia (no mail order so I guess I can drop the name). spend your money as you please. Over 10yrs with no problems yet.

pclown

That guy that sells the Nutri-Sea water must be one heck of a salesman. Do you have his name I may have him a job working for us. LOL
Good Luck and please keep us informed

lion_crazz

Well, could you cite some stuff from this book that you found to be believable? I am curious as to what it had to say because I can't see anyway that Nutri-Seawater could be worth the money.
I have used artificial sea salt my whole life in this hobby and I have never occured a problem.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Well, could you cite some stuff from this book that you found to be believable? I am curious as to what it had to say because I can't see anyway that Nutri-Seawater could be worth the money.
I have used artificial sea salt my whole life in this hobby and I have never occured a problem.
Sure....

All reef aquarists are well aware of how prone to disaster that their aquaria are. Aware of the precarious nature of our artificial ecosystems, most hobbyists do everything in their power to ensure that their beautiful, and expensive, creatures do not perish. Many hobbyists have safeguards for power outages, equipment malfunctions, water level problems, and chemical imbalances. It is ironic and unfortunate that all of these safety measures may be largely for naught, jeopardized by the use of artificial sea water that, due to poor formulation, may be poisoning the very animals that the hobbyist is trying to protect.
Amongst professional marine biologists, particularly those who work with invertebrate embryos, the average artificial sea water mix has been recognized for many years as an imperfect substitute for what is the perfect medium for marine animal growth, pure oceanic sea water. This is particularly for delicate organisms such as embryos (Strathmann). Marine organisms have evolved in natural sea water, and natural selection has fine-tuned their physiology to this medium. Many of these organisms do not have waterproof skins, and the well-being of the creature is directly dependent upon the solution surrounding them. While there is some toleration of variations from the "normal" condition to those that the animals are attuned, generally that tolerance is small and limited only to the range of natural variation (Prosser).
Many of these excessively high concentrations, however, do not result from feeding, or even the ridiculous and dangerous process of adding toxic metals directly to tanks in the form of additives, but instead are the direct result of the formulation of the salt mixes (Atkinson and Bingman).
So, the average number of larvae that developed in samples of water made with Instant Ocean and Coralife salts was highly statistically different, and far lower, than the number found developing in natural sea water.
These data are unequivocal and quite disturbing. They show that water mixed from some artificial salt water mixes is significantly more toxic to developing sea urchin embryos, and by inference to other organisms
then hobbyists would just have to learn to live with it. Or rather they would learn which species of potential reef aquarium animals were more tolerant of such abuse and could survive in it.
the mortality of sea urchin embryos in water made from Instant Ocean is about 90%, and in water made from Coralife salt the mortality rate is about 80%. It is highly likely that mortality effects are not limited to larvae and are much more widespread through the reef aquarium hobby.
The artificial sea water mixes have been chemically analyzed, and some of their metallic constituents have aberrantly high levels compared to natural seawater.
The data are rounded to the nearest whole number and it can seen that for the known toxic elements of cadmium, copper, lead, nickel, vanadium and zinc, the concentrations of these elements in Instant Ocean are 342, 450, 210000, 213, 97 and 83 times, respectively, the value of normal sea water. Similar values are found for Coralife salt.
The two salts, Instant Ocean and Coralife, that made artificial seawater with the lowest survivorship of larvae consistently have heavy metals concentrations hundreds to hundreds of thousands times those found in natural seawater.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
55 gallon Instant ocean bag cost $5.99 every day all day at Fish Safari in Virginia beach Virginia (no mail order so I guess I can drop the name). spend your money as you please. Over 10yrs with no problems yet.
Your $5.99 bag of salt was one of the ones tested in the study, it was actually the worst salt, you may find what I wrote above of interest.. ***)

lion_crazz

Thank you for posting that. I was aware of that for Instant Ocean and Coralife. Not coincidently, they are both made by the same company. That is also why Thomas (one of the moderators here) swithced from using Instant Ocean, I believe.
I have never used it, so I would not know. The salts that I like are Oceanic and Tropic Marin, and I have never heard of any factual studies being done to prove them dangerious.
Usually, you get what you pay for. I don't think it's any coincidence that Oceanic and Tropic Marin are the two most expensive salts, and the two worst, in my opinion, are Crystal Sea and Instant Ocean, which are the two least expensive.

stanlalee

Your $5.99 bag of salt was one of the ones tested in the study, it was actually the worst salt, you may find what I wrote above of interest.. ***)

I have seen all those test and results. If I have been using something for over 10yrs trouble free (as do probably hundreds of thousands of people as its the most popular salt) do you think I care about test results or what works for me. All those test results did was show trace element contents, pH, alk and such. I test my water 3 or 4 times a week I dont have to depend on a test with unknown motives and unknown biasness. when my fish do start dropping dead or my test dont come out right then I'll worry.
what does "worse" mean? If you test a BMW seven series, Mercedes S class and Audi A8 something is going to come out the worse, they are all still damn good cars. There have been people for and against Instant Ocean for as long as I've been keeping tanks, whats new.
does it look like my tank is suffering
tank pics

saltwater8

You know, it almost wants to make you set up 2 identical tanks and fill one with natural seawater and one with a salt/RO mix and then add a powder blue tang and see how they both fair - if one gets ich and one doesn't......

lion_crazz

I highly doubt that one will get ich simply because it is in the synthetic salt mix tank. There are people on this board who have powder blues and I don't think of any of them use ocean water.
Ich has to be present in the water for the fish to get ich. Using synthetic sea salt will not put ich in the water because ich needs a host to live. There is no host in the bag of salt. In order for this experiment to possibly work, each tank has to be identical with everything other than the water, and you would need to get the powder blues from the same system of water at the LFS.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
I have seen all those test and results. If I have been using something for over 10yrs trouble free (as do probably hundreds of thousands of people as its the most popular salt) do you think I care about test results or what works for me. All those test results did was show trace element contents, pH, alk and such. I test my water 3 or 4 times a week I dont have to depend on a test with unknown motives and unknown biasness. when my fish do start dropping dead or my test dont come out right then I'll worry.
what does "worse" mean? If you test a BMW seven series, Mercedes S class and Audi A8 something is going to come out the worse, they are all still damn good cars. There have been people for and against Instant Ocean for as long as I've been keeping tanks, whats new.
does it look like my tank is suffering
tank pics
Hey, chill....lol

If the $5.99 bag of salt works for you, then don't change. I am trying to figure out what I want to work for me.
A $4 bag of Walmart dog food will fill up my yellow lab just as much as a $15 bag of Iams....which do you think I want my dog eating?

Nice tank, why did you choose crushed coral though?