o god not the tang police

broncofish

Flame flame flame flameity flamed flame, Flame flammin flaminity flamededy deflame flamm flamm flame flame y en fuego. There you have been flamed. Now enjoy your hippo, and please consider setting up a larger tank.

the claw

You should be ashamed of yourself, but other than that goodluck. I was thinking about locking one of my kids in the closet this weekend. They're small now, so it will be ok Right????

mistylab

I am sorry to hear that you couldn't comtrol yourself.:(
It's just so wrong to do this, you think of them as livestock and you think to them it doesn't matter, they have no feelings, right? You assume that if you can purchase it for less than $5000 it has no feelings, it is an ornament, right? Because you can't put a price on a true life, right? Naw, those kids at adoption centers, well, you pay an adoption fee, right, so why do they need everything a normal kid does then? They need room to play, room to exercise, to get away from their neighbors, but ofcourse, fish aren't the same, right? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as this fish is less than three inches, it might be okay, but these are not clowns or such, a tang of the same size would need triple, if not more than what a clown would need.I will copy my story I wrote a while back and post it on here later.

mistylab

Ok, this is it, it differs from the subject some, but you should get the point about the small tanks.
I have a story for you about a wonderful turtle I had and 3 of his friends. 10 years ago, my dad told me to close my eyes and hold out my hand when he came home from fishing. I did so, and when I opened my eyes, a cute little turtle was sitting in the palm of my hand, a red eared slider named Speedy. I put it in our 20gal. aquarium. We found out that he liked live goldfish so that's what he ate. He was moved into a small fish bowl because he was snacking on my dad's fish.
A couple years later my dad came home with another turtle, a yellow eared slider he had caught, named Chomper. He was put in another bowl because Speedy bit his leg.
Then we got a 10gal. and put both in together, they got along. About 4 years later my dad caught 2 more, another red eared, Sparky, and the younger mud turtle, Mudslide. We got a pond but it didn't work out. Speedy and Chomper had formed a bond, so had Sparky and Mudslide, they were in 2 separate 10gal.
Then we gave my rabbits to my cousin, she had a pond in her bathtub, which gave me an idea. Then I had 4 turtles in my bathtub, about 75gal. Now Speedy was huge, about 12" when in full display. Mudslide came down with an illness and died.
There is a huge lake nearby called EdgeWater, I said I was gonna let those turtles go many times before, but I never did. Spring had started, I think it was this past March. EdgeWater is a turtle breeding ground and paradise. Losing Mudslide made me realise that I didn't want these turtles to die in captivity, it seemed wrong.
I took the remaining 3 to Edgewater. I let Sparky go and he was off without a second glance. Chomper, 6 years old, lokked back briefly and was off.
Speedy was different, I gently put him in the water after 10 long years of friendship. He looked at me, his eyes boring into me, and I could swear he spoke, "Thank you, and I will miss you" He was happy that he was free, in spite of our friendship, he was free, and he was happy. It is much like keeping a tang in a small tank, no matter what relationship you have, or how hard you try to give them a good place.

killafins

You should be ashamed of yourself, but other than that goodluck. I was thinking about locking one of my kids in the closet this weekend. They're small now, so it will be ok Right????

[hr]
Well, by the dimensions of the closet and in ratio to the amount they move and in comparison to the tang in the aquarium.... i would say as long as there under six it'll be good.
He will make his mistakes, let's just hope he will know when to no longer push his luck...
we have all been guilty of doign something we know is not right... let 'em learn

fishman88

wow you guys i had never thought about it that way befor. maybe i will return him. but i just want to say that he was moving around alot and it did make me think about just getting a bigger tank. what would you guys recomend?
thanks
mike
o yea i am not a flamer

wrassecal

I recommend that since you live close by that you do the responsible thing and buy M. Rogers 75 gal tank immediately, if not sooner.

krowleey

please people, you act like putting the fish in 300 gallons is really a paradise for the fish, lol no matter if its 30 or 300 its still cramped for a open water fish so were all guilty for keeping them its like saying ok live in your bedroom till you grow up then you can have the bedroom and the livingroom till you die. so no matter what there is no right or wrong. fish aint gonna live out thier normal lives in our tanks anyways so enjoy them while u can. thats my 2c ;) :) :cool:

jeo

I have to agree with krowleey on this one. There is really no way around the fact that our fish are in captivity and are living a "compromised lifestyle" compared to that of the ocean. A bigger tank is nice, but no tank compares to living in the wild.

killafins

Originally posted by krowleey
well i work get paid spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and boom im living with a fish tank.

lol, i meant by ur beliefs

jeo

not to be dramatic or anything, but probably in the same way that we can spend thousands of dollars on our reefs while some people can't even afford food. We do what we want to do.
I am going to go cry now :(

regaldragon

Man..... this has turned out to be quite the depressing thread.... After I'm done crying, I'm going to apologize to everything in my tank, down to the last pod.... and go release them in the wild.
Okay, probably not. But I will stay up all night thinking about how big of a tank I'm gonna need to build.... Anyone wanna help me buy the coolest above ground pool ever?
I think it is safe to say that in getting into this hobby, we have all undertaken a great responsibility for life. While these animals may not be in their natural habitat (some never have been in the wild), we must committ ourselves to doing the next best thing for them. I personally have a baby blue tang, and I swear on my life that I will be giving away that tang in the next two years to a bigger, much better home. Earlier, if I have to.
Anyhow, just ask yourself before you buy your next fish : can I do whatever is necessary to do the best I can so that this fish lives the best life it can?
G'nite all

katara

You really should keep out of this one.after all, don't you have a sweetlips in way too small of a tanK?Talk about a hypocrite.