oceanic 140 aggressive tank

crox

1journeyman - how do you properly maintain a wet/dry filter?
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

crox

Puffer24/7 - I like that blue face angel but I think that grouper is way too big for that tank.

cichlidfor

panther grouper is fine in that size tank. But i would do what you said earlier. Get the smaller grouper and start over to watch it grow.

lion_crazz

The fish look very good right now, but you absolutely need another 100-150 lbs. of rock in that tank, especially since you have an angel and a tang (along with having a pretty heavy bioload as it is)

sankysyuck

Can we see some pictures of the filtration?
BTW, a lot of people have said things about the nitrates your going to get in this tank. In my opinion, nitrates are harmless to fish, they do not affect fish directly. although they do indirectly (i.e. hair algae)
If it's invertebrates thats a whole other story, because obviously trates do affect inverts, but we're talking about a fish only tank here.
Although, I've done a large ammount of tests on various inverts and even they can do better then expected under high nitrates. One inparticular were a couple octopus that I tested on, where I had the species Bimaculoide in one tank with 20 ppm trates and another octopus of the same species with 200 ppm trates and the results were the same.
Sorry to bring up a controversial statement, but thats just my opinion, everyone has theres.

aw2

Originally Posted by SankysYuck
BTW, a lot of people have said things about the nitrates your going to get in this tank. In my opinion, nitrates are harmless to fish, they do not affect fish directly. although they do indirectly (i.e. hair algae)
If it's invertebrates thats a whole other story, because obviously trates do affect inverts, but we're talking about a fish only tank here.
Although, I've done a large ammount of tests on various inverts and even they can do better then expected under high nitrates. One inparticular were a couple octopus that I tested on, where I had the species Bimaculoide in one tank with 20 ppm trates and another octopus of the same species with 200 ppm trates and the results were the same.
Sorry to bring up a controversial statement, but thats just my opinion, everyone has theres.

What happened to all of these fish that you cruely subjected to extraordinarily high nitrates?

sankysyuck

Listen, this was a laboratory test, it's not any worse then harvesting fish or invertebrates just so they can be killed to be disected for study, so don't get all offensive. And by the way, they're all still alive and showing no negative responses to this continual testing after more then 7 years.
What are you going to tell me next? That UV kills Ich? It doesn't.

aw2

What are you going to tell me next? That UV kills Ich? It doesn't.
Nope...I already know that's a huge misconception and untruth....just like high nitrates, that dont hurt fish.

rgmason

Originally Posted by AW2
Nope...I already know that's a huge misconception and untruth....just like high nitrates, that dont hurt fish.
I would agree with you on this whole subject aw2!

my way

Are you saying the Bimacs are alive after 7 yrs?

sankysyuck

Hey, this is just my opinion after many years of study, but this thread isnt about nitrates its about this nice tank. If you don't agree with me start a new thread. BTW im curious, what do you think high nitrates do to fish then?
BTW, no obviously the octopi died of old age, at a little over a year and 1/2.

J

jcrim

And by the way, they're all still alive and showing no negative responses to this continual testing after more then 7 years.

BTW, no obviously the octopi died of old age, at a little over a year and 1/2.