oceanic 140 aggressive tank

1journeyman

Puffer, not sure what happened to the other thread..
Anyway, you're going to need some serious filtration on that tank.. You've got virtually no live rock (no idea where the 150lbs. of live rock went. Did you sell it?) and CC is not a good choice for biological filtration.
It can be done, but you're going to need to really watch your ammonia for the next month. After that, nitrate is going to demand constant water changes.

puffer24/7

there is some damn good filtration on this tank, would u like me to take a pic of the filtration for u, i have a 40 watt uv,g4 skimmer, and a wet/dry rated up to 350 gallons also made by oceanic, i plan on adding more lr to the tank once it is cured, right now iam using my 12 gallon nano to cure my rock that is coming in, but iam ordering small amounts at a time bc the nano cant hold that much rock so i order 15 pounds at a time of buna lr which is allsome and also apart of my christmas gift

1journeyman

Originally Posted by puffer24/7
there is some damn good filtration on this tank, would u like me to take a pic of the filtration for u, i have a 40 watt uv,g4 skimmer, and a wet/dry rated up to 350 gallons also made by oceanic, i plan on adding more lr to the tank once it is cured, right now iam using my 12 gallon nano to cure my rock that is coming in, but iam ordering small amounts at a time bc the nano cant hold that much rock so i order 15 pounds at a time of buna lr which is allsome and also apart of my christmas gift
Hey, just stating a fact.. settle down. I hadn't read anything about your filtration...
UV doesn't count as filtration
Don't know anything about that skimmer brand so can't comment
Wet/Dry is good IF you properly maintain it. If not it can become a nitrate factory
I was just asking about live rock because you stated early on in this thread, and others, that you had 150lbs. of live rock. Obviously it's not in the tank so...
You might search the forum around here for "curing live rock". You could get a new, clean rubbermaid trash can and cure rock easily. Would be much more efficient than trying to do it in a nano tank. It's going to take you forever to cure enough live rock in a nano tank to put into your tank. Plus, in a larger tank you ant larger pieces of live rock. Those pieces won't fit in a 12 gallon.

1journeyman

oh how do u like the fish
Fish look great. I'm not a fan of the Grouper, but personal pref. there.
Obviously I like the fish or I wouldn't be posting to your thread!

1journeyman

u like the fish and thanks for ur info, also could i get some base rock that will turn into lr
Absolutely. There is a lot of "base" rock out there though that is worthless. Shop well. You want light, porous rock.
Next, be sure that your rock is place on the bottom of your tank, with your CC (/shudder... I hate CC but again preference) placed around it. You want the rock as stable as possible to keep the eel from toppling it.
I don't know enough about eels to help you out on their habitat requirements.

puffer24/7

right now that is where he is in the lr on the right hand side of my tank but zebras once they get acustomed to the tank like to swim during the day that is why i got him. also where could i get base rock any suggestions, and i could put base rock right into the tank right?

1journeyman

No.. base rock would probably be best to purchase some good stuff locally. As we can't place links to other sites I can't really help you on it.
Like I said though, you want to examine it carefully. There is a lot of junk sold as base rock. Buying from a LFS is best.
Yes, you can rinse it off and place directly into the tank.
Again, I don't know much about eels, but I know they are escape artists...
Have a great week.

maeistero

:hilarious wow, i just read through this entire thread and i'm wondering if you got all 500 posts here? you can edit your posts instead of posting each sentence.

i'm starting a viscious tank on the 21st with a shark or two so it's of interest to me. congrats on getting your tank cleared up so fast. like others, i'm amazed you've gone with so little lr and went the cc route. good luck and test often my brother.

puffer24/7

will do and thank u very much, i think cc looks better on aggressive tanks and does not get dirty like sand would in an aggressive tank, as far as the clarity issue it was clear witin a matter of 5 to 6 hours and thank u very much once again and good luck with ur tank

puffer24/7

i did the egg crate way in a few areas of the tank, they do that at all major aquariums, and if u noticed all major aquariums go with cc, iam not saying that iam a major aquarium either, i just think cc looks a whole lot better in my opinion