Ocellarus Clown Breeding

saban2013

I have a 125 Gallon reef tank, with a breeding pair of Ocellarus Clowns in it. This pair has been spawning on a regular basis for almost two years, yet I have not seen on baby. There is a Six Line Wrasse, a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel, and a Lawnmower Blenny as tankmates. This is a heavily stocked reef with lots of corals and cover. Can anyone explain my situation or lack there of?

btldreef

As soon as the eggs hatch the fry are 1) being eaten by the fish ( and coral) and 2) being sucked through your filtration and dying.
The flow is too much for freshly hatched clowns and they just end up floating around as free food.

bang guy

1 & 2 from above and 3) there just isn't enough food in a reef tank for the larvae to survive on.
4) The corals are also eating any that make it past the fish and the filtration and starvation.

puffer666

get a QT tank and if you can get the eggs and move them and yes low flow good prams ppl use lil clay pots to house eggs then move to QT. this is a hard hobby raising fish i tried with fresh water and never had luck with my angel fish and in one case i had a hatch and that was in my display tank but as it is in the wild they were eaten. just reed up on it and good luck.

flower

Unless you are dedicated to raise the clown fish...just consider them a part of your little ecosystem and free fish food. My friend has the same situation you do, but the other fish eat the eggs, the fry never have a chance to start with.