Octopus "Aquamarine"

lmecher

We got this one at the end of January. She is O. briareus. She belongs to my 13 yr. old daughter. Aqua is nocturnal however she has been coming out with the light on occasionally now. I have been working with her (late at night, too late for Sam) getting her used to humans. We are progressing well. Here is a video of Sam interacting for the first time.
She was missing several arms when she came to us, they are growing back nicely.

meowzer

That is amazing......My husband just said let's get one....LOL....NO WAY I have enough
I was just telling him about your octo mom and the babies.....he said....if they all die...then how do we get more cotopus?????
HMMMM...I want to know too

lmecher

When they hatch in the ocean, some will survive. The small egged young are very difficult to raise in a tank. I believe it has been done in a laboratory setting, just not by hobbyists. They are just too tiny.
Almost all of the octopuses kept are wild caught. There are a few private keepers that are raising young but only on a very limited basis. Sue (Sueandherzoo) is lucky, she is getting a few hatchlings from a private party within driving distance as they are not risking shipping them. I believe also these are O. Bimaculoide, a cold water, large egged species. A wonderful species to keep. I am so hoping she gets at least one to survive. These are extremely delicate and difficult to raise.
I am holding out hope that one day you (Lois) will give one a try. It is the most rewarding organism I have ever kept. They have the ability to interact with you. It is the most amazing thing, to be able to gain their trust. :t^:

chain

Yes they really are one of those creatures that you keep that will always own a special little place in your heart. The big thing though, as you mentioned, is the amazing interaction they have with us. They are extremely intelligent and seem to watch you just as much as you watch them. I have only kept a few species of octo and I have none atm. I still have my octo tank setup and running. Threw a few damsels in there to keep it going. I was hoping to get another but honestly I couldn't get over losing the first. Hopefully one day. I kept the Florida/Caribbean Octo briareus if I recall correctly, a dwarf variety octo out of the gulf which was fascinating, and the one that I regret, Hapalochlaena Spp. The blue ringed was the last octo i had and it has been a few years. I can't stress enough that people need to leave the blue ringed in the wild. I would purchase one of the first two again in a heartbeat; however alot of the interaction time you get to spend with them is late as they are mostly nocturnal. This didn't bother me at all, but it did my wife. I can't sleep anyways. I loved just playing there in the tank with them. Truly amazing what they are capable of. He was almost like a friend. Make no mistake I didn't "play" with the blue ring at all. Your braire is beautiful. Makes me really want another. These forums are going to be the death of me as wife is going to shoot me for spending more money. All of you great people with your beautiful tanks give me all of these great ideas, only problem is they all cost a great amount of money. Looks like relief work in alaska again this summer.

lmecher

Chain-
If only more people viewed blue rings as you do. This is one species better left in the ocean.
Here is a series of photos I want to share. My son had been caring for El Diablo, O. vulgaris (deceased) while I was on vacation. This was a very special octopus. He could be aggressive and very, very social, he actually sought attention, would beg for it. A interesting relationship developed between these two. Look at how he reacted to my son in this series of photos. You can see this octopus recognizes and trusts ,my son. These types of experiences are priceless.
(the last one is my favorite) When they extend an arm to the glass, it is a friendly accepting gesture
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll139/Lmecher/DSCN0980.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll139/Lmecher/DSCN0981.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll139/Lmecher/DSCN0982.jpg

sueandherzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmecher http:///forum/thread/384242/octopus-aquamarine#post_3365358
Sue (Sueandherzoo) is lucky, she is getting a few hatchlings from a private party within driving distance as they are not risking shipping them. I believe also these are O. Bimaculoide, a cold water, large egged species. A wonderful species to keep. I am so hoping she gets at least one to survive. These are extremely delicate and difficult to raise.
Sorry - I don't get here too often these days so only just saw this post today.
I'm thrilled to report that I still have three hatchlings, seemingly healthy and thriving. They are still very tiny so it's hard to monitor their progress or get photos but the fact that they are still alive is so encouraging. My biggest fear is whether or not they are eating enough and if they are eating the RIGHT stuff. I offer them so many things but, like I said, it's hard to tell what they are actually eating or what they're just playing with. Yesterday I froze some fiddler crabs and then broke them apart and offered them to the hatchlings. No one showed any interest, and when I kept placing a piece in the "den" of one of the hatchlings he would repeatedly bring it out and toss it away. LOL I guess when he says "no", he means "NO".
Part of me thinks I better start purchasing and setting up three more tanks in case these guys really do make it, but that's a big investment (time and money) if they don't survive to adulthood. Wish you guys lived closer. :(
Sue

lmecher

Sue, Keeping my fingers crossed for your little inklets.
Update on Aqua...Have not seen her in a couple weeks. I assume she is brooding. Since I cannot see into her den, I have no idea when or if or when eggs were laid. Six weeks is the best estimation of incubation period. Unfortunately that will be around the time I will be out of town. I am visiting my mother in Florida, she is very ill and cannot postpone. I can only hope for the best, just maybe I will be able to save some if they are viable.