Octopus Filosus

texasmetal

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Are you scared about INKING?
Nope. She doesn't startle at all. I can actually touch her and she doesn't flinch a bit. I do have a bucket of SW nearby in case I need to siphon ink out and do a water change though.
It's a 75 gallon tank, and it's not drilled unfortunately. That would be ideal.
There is about 80lbs of rock in the tank. Half of it is live rock, the other half is lace and limestone. There is about 80lbs of sand. The tank has been set up for over a year.
As for equipment, I have a wet/dry, a HOB Penguin 400 for carbon, and a 3 gallon refugium. There are also 2 Maxijet 1200's for flow. All returns are covered with plastic mesh. So far she hasn't messed with the intakes of the powerheads but that could be a problem. The U-tube for the overflow is set inside a circular sponge and fits snug. If water quality becomes an issue I have a protein skimmer. I should have put it in anyway before I plugged everything up because now it's gonna be a pain.
All spaces between the lids, tubes, and returns are fitted with 1 inch thick styrofoam, cut to fit. Then that's sealed off with duct tape. It's not pretty but it does the trick. It's a pain in the butt to get in the tank every single time but I'd rather not find my dogs turned her into a chew toy.
For lights I use two 20 watt Aquaglow fluorescent bulbs, and one 65 watt Odyssea VHO strip.
I kept a dwarf inside this tank several months ago when it was a FOWLR. It was an O. Mercatoris. In order to keep track of him and keep him from killing/being killed I kept him inside a large plastic Critter Keeper. He never escaped it, and would chase the fish at night. Night being the only time it ever came out, and usually much later than I could stay up. I always had to view him under a red light as O. Mercatoris are very secretive and nocturnal, not much fun. I had him for 4 months. I did place him inside a 10 gallon all by himself for about a month, and he wouldn't even come out to hunt no matter how much/how little rock I placed in the tank with him. That's him on my avatar. You might have also seen him in Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Alex4286
i saw a lil one at my LFS
he was AMAZING and i wanted one soo bad
but then they went on and on about
1) nothing else in the tank (for the most part except rocks)
2)LARGE TANK
3)SHORT Life
4)completely seal the top
i think after the first downer i got the idea out of my head lol
That's pretty much right.
1) You don't need anything else in the tank, believe me. You can add starfish and urchins if you choose, but I wouldn't select a venomous urchin.
2) Yes, large tank is best since the size will help dilute any pollutants ie. Ink, discarded food, waste, excrement, etc.
3) Very short life. A wild-caught specimen may only live weeks before natural death. There's no good way to tell age, but a juvenile octopus could live up to a year, possibly more.
4) Yes, completely seal the tank up so that the octopus cannot fit inside any intakes or climb over the top of the tank. They will explore everything, and they are completely capable of lifting a glass lid or pulling the protective cover off of a powerhead intake. And they can fit through any gap the size of their beak. I haven't ever seen mines beak nor will I ever likely see it, so I judge it by the size of her eye, and that's about half the size of a pea right now.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Ok I heard dwarf octo's live only a month or two but bigger octos like Bimacs live a couple years.

Nope, 6-8 months.

bcspeed34

Wow! That really is a beautiful one you have there. Perhaps if I get a new tank I can make an Octopus tank. The price seems quite fair.
I remember holding an Octopus once, we were crab fishing and it got caught in our net. I got to carry it down to the beach and let it go, amazing creatures.

grabbitt

I keep reading from this thread that these creatures are about as smart as dogs and other pets, but I have heard that they have the potential intelligence of a three or four year old child... I can't remember the source, but does this sound about right?

santiago

I received my octopus. he is in a 50 gallon and the lid couldn't be any tighter and heavier. He is really cool. i feed him frozen shrimp. he is really active. is your octopus still alive?

texasmetal

Originally Posted by santiago
I received my octopus. he is in a 50 gallon and the lid couldn't be any tighter and heavier. He is really cool. i feed him frozen shrimp. he is really active. is your octopus still alive?
No, she unfortunately died 3 weeks after I got her for undetermined reasons. I was in contact with several people who got octos from the same source all in very short time frame, and most of them had the same issue. The best explanation we could agree on is senescense. It's quite possible they were all collected near the end of their lives.