Octopus skimmer question.

doggie

Hi Folks,
I'm looking to buy a new skimmer very soon. I know I want an octopus but I'm having a hard time on which one to get.
I have it down to 2.

Reef Octopus NWB 200 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer or the Reef Octopus Extreme 200 Proteein Skimmer.

Anyone have any thoughts on either of the 2?
Thanks.

meowzer

That's a tough one....the NW is rated up to 260G....the Extreme up to 225G

I am a fan of the extreme skimmers though

what size tank?

deejeff442

i have an octo extreme.i dont run it anymore for some reason the pump would lose prime all the time and it got annoying.plus the instructions for adjusting are non existant.ant the thing has a huge footprint

meowzer

IDK how much room you have in your sump....BUT check this out.....or check out the XP2000

per Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS CONE Protein Skimmer.

-Super Reef Octopus® 6” Space Saver Cone Skimmer
-Dimensions: 9.5”x7.5”x20.5”
-Rated up to 125gal.
-Features the new Bubble Blaster HY1000S
-High quality machine welded cast acrylic construction
-High performance design
-3 year warranty on Bubble Blaster pump. 1 year
warranty on skimmer. Lifetime warranty on support.
Description:

Coralvue is proud to introduce you to their Super Reef Octopus® product line.
The use of their Bubble Blaster/Water Blaster pumps include a 3 year warranty. They offer 3 different skimmer designs to meet any design want or space limitations you may have.
The SSS stands for Super Sump Saver. This model incorporates all the same benefits of the XP design but has the pump built into the bottom of the skimmer which allows for a much smaller footprint inside the sump. The XP cone design puts very little back pressure on the pump because there is little resistance from the base of the skimmer all the way up to the collection cup. Less resistance means more skimming ability for the pump to work at its maximum output. When space is limited look to their SSS models.

doggie

Thanks, I'm not to concerned about the sump space. I'm going to build a sump around the skimmer.

I have been told to always go bigger then what you need. That's why I was looking at those 2.

I have some messy eaters so i want something that can handle the bio-load.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggie http:///forum/thread/380638/octopus-skimmer-question#post_3313388
Thanks, I'm not to concerned about the sump space. I'm going to build a sump around the skimmer.

I have been told to always go bigger then what you need. That's why I was looking at those 2.

I have some messy eaters so i want something that can handle the bio-load.
Yeah and No!!!!!!
To big a skimmer is a waste and doesn't perform to it's peak, and having an undersized skimmer it wouldn't handle the tank. Plus on an oversize skimmer your using more electric than needed....JMHO.

bs

So I don't have much room in my sump/refugium. The only way I am going to be able to fit a skimmer in is if I put it in my refugium. My question is, does it matter if the skimmer is almost completely submerged in water (minus the collection cup and output)?
Thanks

deejeff442

octo runs at 8 - 10 inches of water depth.look for a good hob skimmer and just hang it on the side of the sump.