Octopus

babyb

very nice, i always wanted one of those but have heard they are alot of work and are great at getting out, good luck with your little guy

bjoe23

Originally Posted by spyker
i also have an octopus an he is the smartest fish i've owned,when he wants to eat he actually grabs a rock and bangs on the tank.you can also test your octopus IQ by getting lego and see if he puts them together or get a water bottle and put a snail in it and see if he opens the bottle if he does he passed the IQ test.And by the way nice octopus love his color mines blue

You should do the IQ things, and record it, so we can see

beenbag497

is there any kind that i could keep in a ten or twenty gallon??cause ive seen someone do a blue ring in a three gallon

texasmetal

Originally Posted by beenbag497
is there any kind that i could keep in a ten or twenty gallon??cause ive seen someone do a blue ring in a three gallon
You can try Octopus mercatoris
that's about it.
A Great Dane can be kept in a closet. Doesn't make it right.

beenbag497

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
You can try Octopus mercatoris that's about it.
A Great Dane can be kept in a closet. Doesn't make it right.
are you saying no??
dang it(one thing is ....theyre invertebrates)

J

jm38092

Our octopus is a Bimac, and he's in a 40 gallon tank. We have a protein skimmer and overflow that goes to a 20 gallon refrugium. The Bimac (Octopus bimaculoides) is actually diurnal so he runs around the tank durning the day. We feed him guppies which are freshwater, but they from our own guppy colony. I'll get a video up tomorrow of feeding him a fish with the tongs. This is the second octopus, the first one never did really move, we think it got really stressed during shipping. This one was chasing around hermit crabs in the styrofoam box he came in while acclimating. The tanks has mess all around the overflow boxes and the return tubes (i dont know what to call them), so there really isnt much way he can get out. Also, this guy doesnt really seem to try to get out. he mostly just looks for food.

beenbag497

Originally Posted by JM38092
Our octopus is a Bimac, and he's in a 40 gallon tank. We have a protein skimmer and overflow that goes to a 20 gallon refrugium. The Bimac (Octopus bimaculoides) is actually diurnal so he runs around the tank durning the day. We feed him guppies which are freshwater, but they from our own guppy colony. I'll get a video up tomorrow of feeding him a fish with the tongs. This is the second octopus, the first one never did really move, we think it got really stressed during shipping. This one was chasing around hermit crabs in the styrofoam box he came in while acclimating. The tanks has mess all around the overflow boxes and the return tubes (i dont know what to call them), so there really isnt much way he can get out. Also, this guy doesnt really seem to try to get out. he mostly just looks for food.
i would love a video!!!!!!!where did you buy the octo himself??(i know theres like a 4 month waiting period for the tank to cycle

J

jm38092

We got him from another online website, they had captive bred bimacs, some depot or something. My cousin setup the tank based on an old tank i had, and ran it for a while before getting the octopus, probably 8 months or so. Also, it took a while to find a place that had one, first we waited a while for a lfs to order one for us.

beenbag497

Originally Posted by JM38092
We got him from another online website, they had captive bred bimacs, some depot or something. My cousin setup the tank based on an old tank i had, and ran it for a while before getting the octopus, probably 8 months or so. Also, it took a while to find a place that had one, first we waited a while for a lfs to order one for us.
would you pm me the site?????how long has he lived????and...are tghey ok with zoo's/mushrooms??

J

jm38092

we dont have corals, i think they dont go out of their way to hurt them, but when the get big they tend to move around rocks, also, i dont think they like the bright lights corals need.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by spyker
in response to harleys question i have a 30gallon and he loves it in there( i think?)
What breed of oct do you have in a 30 gallon? Have you researched his needs? Check out the site listed.

lysol

Originally Posted by ufo8micats
i have triggers and an eel. could a small octopus hold its own in an aggressive tank?
There species only.

J

jm38092

Octopus Vs. Fish
Here he is eating a fish, i used a different camera and the video quality isnt as good. Turn the volume off unless you want to hear our inane chatter.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by ufo8micats
i have triggers and an eel. could a small octopus hold its own in an aggressive tank?
No. They would eat the octopus.

spyker

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
When you say your's blue, I'm hoping your not talking about a blue ringed octopus.

of course not those thing are very venomous and i would never mess with those things and plus octopuses use camoflauge so yea hes blue