Octopus

sulley

my point was there is NO POINT to feeding him guppies crayfish etc... at all. not one not two none. with the octos short life span to begin with i told him it is not worth the risk. that is why i said for entertainment purposes to get fresh saltwtaer clams etcc. i just thought it was underplayed when he said that he looked it up and that he was going to continue to do a couple a week. the copper point though is a good one that did not even cross my mind. i just thought he took the chip analogy as thinking it was safe for small amounts. he has a healthy octo which are hard to get, to me would be stupid to lose it from something as simple as feeding it freshwater items.

J

jm38092

Why are you saying freshwater clams if the point is to get away from freshwater? Also, I understand that if you buy feeder fish from a store, they may have dosed them with copper. We don’t buy them from a store; we have a tank full of guppies. Also, there seems to me to be no research out there on the matter of freshwater fish actually being bad for an octopus. I only saw one article where the guy had a bunch of octopus babies, he divided them in half, and feed one only guppies, and the other whatever. His conclusion was that there seemed to be a slightly higher death rate amongst the ones eating only guppies. His other reason for believing the fat thing was because the fish in a pet store that died, ones that had eaten guppies, had a fatty liver. This could also have been due to eating pour quality fish food. All this stuff is anecdotal, not researched based evidence. In conclusion, I don’t feel I am “risking it” when he eats the occasional guppy.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by JM38092
http:///forum/post/2450080
Why are you saying freshwater clams if the point is to get away from freshwater? Also, I understand that if you buy feeder fish from a store, they may have dosed them with copper. We don’t buy them from a store; we have a tank full of guppies. Also, there seems to me to be no research out there on the matter of freshwater fish actually being bad for an octopus. I only saw one article where the guy had a bunch of octopus babies, he divided them in half, and feed one only guppies, and the other whatever. His conclusion was that there seemed to be a slightly higher death rate amongst the ones eating only guppies. His other reason for believing the fat thing was because the fish in a pet store that died, ones that had eaten guppies, had a fatty liver. This could also have been due to eating pour quality fish food. All this stuff is anecdotal, not researched based evidence. In conclusion, I don’t feel I am “risking it” when he eats the occasional guppy.
hokey dokey.

sulley

said fresh saltwater clams reread it. listen feed your octo whatever you want. texas and i are trying to tell you not to but hear what you want to hear. what is your reasoning to feeding it guppies anyways?

J

jm38092

Because both me and my cousin are moving at the end of june and we hope he's dead by then so we dont have to go through the hassle of moving him. I tease. We just wanted to video him eating something and thats what he had handy, he's had maybe 4 in his entire life. He mostly eats Hermit crabs, snails, and now he's starting to eat frozen shrimp.

dermdoc

looking to purchase a blue ring octo. also looking for crown of thorns starfish--anyone know of a site to purchase?

fishkid6692

hi i'm new to the website but i'm on****.com a lot. i just ordered an octo from swf.com so i can't wait until it comes in! has anyone ever ordered an octo from here? if so about how old was it when you got it and how big?

fishkid6692

you shouldn't get a blue ring!!! i'm sure you've heard this before but they can kill you!!
there is many other octos you can get that arn't potentially deadly!

sulley

welcome fishkid!!!!!!!!!!! definetly keep us updated on your octo. open a thread with pics etc.