Octopus

texasmetal

Originally Posted by 75Drilled
http:///forum/post/3155641
Thanks.
I will secure the tank ASAP.
My research shows an octo may live 1 month to a max of 2 years.
Mine has made a den and has collected old shells that he places in front of the opening.
Dwarf species average about 8-10 months, hatch to death.
Mid-sized species (majority of species known) range from 1-2 years.
Giant Pacific (Enteroctopus doflieni) lives up to 5 years, and that's because they live in ridiculously cold water that slows their metabolism WAAAAAAAAAY down as far as science can tell.
Shell/small rock collecting is a common habit of octopuses. This is why I don't suggest anyone put any expensive frags in their octopus tank, or really, even attempt to keep a reef in an octopus tank period. Would you trust a monkey with your CD collection? People are "special" in a.... short bus kinda way.

lmecher

Hi

I am a new to the wonderful world of octopus keeping, it has just been a few days and I am hooked. Congratlations on your new addition.

75drilled

Here is a pic of Squidward's den and his trophy collection. The Cleaner clam was empty already but he opend it up and uses it as his main front door.

75drilled

Lots of people suggest moon lights or some type of red light be used at night since Octo can't see the red and still think its dark. So far mine seems to be averagly active in the daytime. I have checked on him throughout the night and he always seems to be sleeping in his den. I've read some get used to the day activety and feedings and become less nocternal.

texasmetal

Daytime and nighttime activity differs from species to species, and then some individuals within species will adjust their natural schedule to better suit their care takers schedule.
O. hummelincki, as you have, is a diurnal species.
Red lighting is most useful for nocturnal species, specifically dwarfs O. mercatoris.

75drilled

Squidward on the side of the glass
Feeding him with my yellow tweeczers, and he took the crab and tweezer out of my hand. I plan on ordering a 3' long handled feeder so I don't have to place my hand in the water so much.
Octo holding onto the yellow tweezers and eating his nightly crab (I tried several times to get them off of him, and he litterly played tug-o-war with me and has amazing strength.)
Nightime picture of him covering his den with empty shells and holding the clam shell over his head.

75drilled

Squidward has become way more active and friendly. Around 5PM he is almost always walking around the tank and does not mind the camera flash or my kids. I fed him a cube of frozen brine shimp tonight and he seemed to eat it pretty well. Got some real good pictures of him since he has become so active. I have been feeding him one fiddler type crab and day and hope to increase to a crab and cube each day. He has not touched my fish or cleaner shrimp yet. He has ran his tenticles over the clam but not tried to eat it.
Pics attached.

lmecher

How's Squidward doing? I just lost mine last week, will be ordering another in a few days. Following your thread helps with withdrawl symptoms I am having. I need a fix.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/3165270
How's Squidward doing? I just lost mine last week, will be ordering another in a few days. Following your thread helps with withdrawl symptoms I am having. I need a fix.

So sorry to hear you lost yours....I do not want to hijack, but can you tell us what happened???