Odyssea Light Fixture

red tiger

My question is peoples experience with Odyssea Light Fixtures? I have read many threads where they swear they burn your house down! Yet again these threads were about 5 years old. Some say they have redesigned ther ballast? Some say their getting better?
I purchased a 36-watt 20" PC and it looks good, but have my webcam point it at it and i can view it here at work just in case. Has anyone bought one withing the last year?
What about their MH fixtures? Are the new one's better quality?

S

saxman

Supposedly, they got their act together and from what I understand, have even gotten a UL listing, which they couldn't do before because they were deemed unsafe.

red tiger

It seems like all the bad threads stopped after 2008/09 and then all quiet! So, I was just wondering. I paid $45 for a 20" 36-watt Power Compact, Which isn't that bad of a price.
Now they have a MH/T5/Blue Monn LED Pendadnt for $99 at my LFS, this was the reason why i wanted to know the peoples opinion as of late?
Thanks!

1guydude

I used a 4bulb t5 unit w/ moonlights from em and it was fine as well! I used it for a good 6months...

reefphishery

I purchased a 20" 36 watt CF about a year in ahalf ago i hate it. It gets really hot and the bulbs crack. I used it for about 4 months went threw 3 sets of bulbs and then just threw it away

red tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefphishery http:///t/388188/odyssea-light-fixture#post_3421854
I purchased a 20" 36 watt CF about a year in ahalf ago i hate it. It gets really hot and the bulbs crack. I used it for about 4 months went threw 3 sets of bulbs and then just threw it away
Mine gets hot, but i'll keep an eye out to see if they crack? How much did you pay for yours?

reeferchief

I'm not sure about them but in my book, anything that has been known to catch fire...especially in my house I would not even risk it. Is saving $160 worth the worry of your house and fish tank burning down???? In this hobby, I realized, going cheap never pays off in the long run. Just my $.02

red tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferchief http:///t/388188/odyssea-light-fixture#post_3423057
I'm not sure about them but in my book, anything that has been known to catch fire...especially in my house I would not even risk it. Is saving $160 worth the worry of your house and fish tank burning down???? In this hobby, I realized, going cheap never pays off in the long run. Just my $.02
Lol, true! I did the reasearch and it cought fire due to the ballast conected wrong, the arrows did not line up, causing an electrical fire or someone modify the ballast. My house is equiped with isolated sprinklers so not worried there, but so far mine is CE certified and its working out well

lbannie

I have a T5 4 bulb light from odyssea...it's ok. The bulbs it came with were crap...replaced them! When I upgrade my tank, I'm going to buy a much better fixture. You know the saying "you get what you pay for" I believe that's true! So far I've had my fixture about 2 years with no problem