odyssea m.h. ,good or bad?

itsamyheff

I have a 18 gallon reef tank. Its 20 " wide. I found the odyssea metal halide, its 17" and the legs will ajust out to 24", it has 211 total watts (175 m.h. w/ 2x 18w pcs, w/2 lunars) for $150 new online. Every one I talk to has not heard of this brand. Any info would be great. Sounds like a great price but I don't want to have to replace it in a couple of months.

benter

If I am not mistaken ..the odyssea line is like a step up brand of jebo ...I have 2 sets of the power compacts and have had no problems with them so far..don't know about the MH's though!!

thegrog

$150 for a MH/PC combo setup? Sounds a little on the cheap side. If they are a JEBO spinoff/subbrand, then the bulbs are most likely low quality (notorious for poor PC bulbs)
Then again, for $150, it may be worth the gamble. If it has some sort of fan setup for air circulation, then I would say go for it. If fans are absent, I would suspect it would burn out rather quickly and look for another setup.

If you do get it, report back and let us know how it is as I am curious as well.

itsamyheff

Fixture Size: 16.5"L x 11.5"W x 3.5"H
Thanks for the replies.
Odyssea metal halide system comes with non corrosive powder coated housing, built-in cooling fans, three separate on/off switches on external remote ballast controlling HQI, compact fluorescent, bluemoon LED separately, tempered glass splash guard, hanging kit and mounting brackets included. Extended to a maximum of 24" in length with mounting brackets installed.
FREE items include one 175W double ended HQI 20000K & two 18W compact fluorescent bulb actinic blue & two blue moon LED night light.
This is the info on the web site I found.

cowfishrule

i have the pc's, and except for loud initial start up with the ballast, i love em. cant beat it for the price. if the bulbs crappy, swap out the bulb then.

itsamyheff

thanks guys for the input. I think I'm going to try it out. I planning on ordering it this weekend. I let you know how it goes. later.

sunny

Did you order this?? How is it working?? For this price would like to order for myself.

jakebtc

I would do a search for this brand name in the the threads most people nock them but I have a feeling most don't own them

johnny84

I have an Odyssea MH setup. 36" fixture with one 175 watt MH and the dual actinics. I like the fixture a lot, my only problem is now I want to change the 175 watt ballast to a 250 watt ballast, but cant find a website that sells the Odyssea ballasts.

sunny

Ordered the light. Odyssea 560Watt 2x175w HQI MH 2x96w PC and 6 moonlights all for $339. Should be here on Friday, will let you know if it was worth it.

sharkbait9

yeah,need to keep this post up top and see what the results are on the light fixture. I want to upgrade to 250 wat Mh so if these work then so be it. If it aint broke don't fix it. if it's new and expensive don't mean it's good it just means its new and expensive

dapperdan

Originally Posted by itsamyheff
FREE items include one 175W double ended HQI 20000K & two 18W compact fluorescent bulb actinic blue & two blue moon LED night light.
This is the info on the web site I found.
No such thing as a 175W DE HQI bulb!!!!!
Just based on the fact that they don't even know what lamp they have or they're trying to smoke the consumers, I'd stay away!
DD

cmiles

I bought the Odyssea 48'' 542 watt 350 watt halide and 192 watt pc with 6 moonlights. I think it costed $339.00, I will just be glad when I can get to a full light cycle with the halides. The fixture is so quiet compared to the 260 watt odyssea pc I had. LOVE IT SO FAR.