Off Topic: Buying A New Computer & Need Input

ironreef

IMO goto dell and look at there top of the line system or whatever price you are interested in. Then go to your local puter guy with the copy and simple ask him if he can improve/or beat the price with the same or better parts. I prefer p4 but regardless most local guys will beat the price and you have local service. JME

von_rahvin

IMO i would go to dell or build your own. I build custom computes for a living. in all honesty it would be very easy for you to build a comp for 1/2 of the market price. there are always college kids nearby that can build comps. other than that i would choose dell if ou are goig to go for a name brand computer.
other thought, if you are going to build your own build an AMD based system. they are much more stable an cos considerably less than a pentium at the same rated speeds.
incase you do not believe m goto <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com" target="_blank">www.tomshardware.com</a>
they have all the stats in graph form so they are easy to understand.

stacy

I've been in the computer biz for a long time. The problem with the name brand pc's is that you never really now where they are going to cut corners to save cost. The way they build is by putting out a bid for components and whoever is cheapest is who they will use that month. Next month they use someone else. So the quality of their systems varies. If you computer guy has been around for a while he should be able to build a more reliable, faster system, for less money.

blondenaso1

I just got another gateway computer a few days ago. This is the fourth one I've got from them (2 laptops and 2 desktops) and have nothing but good feelings about all of them. You can get it custom built with everything you want and need. The price is really good and so is the tech support. Two years ago I got virus and had to trash my whole operating system. They were on the phone with me for hours, but we got it fixed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you all for your input and for the info you've shared with me. I appreciate it very much.
David has asked for a poll about computer choices, so I created one which is located over in the Equiptment Forum. I will let that poll run for a short while before closing out our gigamonster puter conversation. :D If you all want to contribute to that poll or continue giving input on computers, please move over there. I'm going to close up this thread now, though, elsewise we're going to have to open up a new forum just for the computer geeks.
Thanks guys and gals!
:D