Off-Topic Help please.....

ryebread

Me and the wife have decided that we want a dog. This was not a spur of the moment decision either......we have been wanting a dog for a long time. We are now getting settled into our new home and are ready to take on the responsibility of adopting a new friend........problem is......we don't know what kind.
I need some opinions and experiences here. :)
We are in a decent sized home that sits on a little over 1.5 acres. This should open up the realm to quite a few species. We aren't just limited to the little guys but, they are not out of the question.
I have been researching a few different things before we buy and I have come to several stopping points where I just need some opinions and such from actual owners.......I thought........Geez, why don't I ask some other animal lovers? SWF.com here we come! :p I know that many of you are avid K-9 keepers and I was hoping to maybe see some photos of your babies or just hear some stories. Thanks.
Ryan

michaeltx

I love my Border Collie fun energetic and a lot of laughs.
just needs someone or something to play with because of the breed for herding. and they love water to LOL
Mike

katara

I have a 14 month old chihuahua/pomeranian mix who is only 4 lbs.Definitley a "girlie" dog and she doesn't bark as her breeds would normally indicate.Her name is Barbie and she has the wardrobe & rhinestone collars to prove it.Definitley a Wifey thing!(if my camera didn't suck so badly I'd post an old pic. but I'm gonna take your advise from an earlier post and wait till summer to purchase a better one)
Good luck and have years of love & fun w/your choice!

broncofish

Here is my current dog Jake. He's an AKC 115lb purebred white lab, and unfortunately Because of divorce I have to give him up. He's great, very laid back dogs, as long as you have room for them to run, walk them once everyday, or every other day....and here is the kicker when your home they need to be inside. They get lonely quick if left outside and start acting all hyper. I've been trying to give him away for sometime for a big $0.00. The only thing is potential adoptees must pass my standard(house size, kindness to animals, not wanting to turn him into a stud, and stud alone(as in not a companion). To bad you don't live closer Rye I would love to give him to you. I've had 6 people look at him, and I've had to turn them all away.

goldrush

HI Rye, A Lab,hands down. Just my opinion,of course.We've had two Blacks,but Black,Yellow,Chocolate,it doesn't matter,they are the best!! P.S. Answer my e-mail.

sammystingray

I have a wolf hybrid, but I left it at my moms when I moved out so she had protection. The dogs older now, but has always been far far smarter than any full blood dog I have seen....she even learned by herself to turn the door knob just by watching. She is 50/50 mix, but I never paid to find out what the other half was. Wolf hybrids are illegal in my area, so we register as a husky to get tags.....best "dog" I ever had, and she is extremely protective of my mom and her home. I personally like big dogs, and you better belive they may save your home from a break in one day....a big dog is a VERY effective deterent to would be thieves, and while you aren't at home...you will feel better knowing your loved one is better protected. I also love dobis, but we did have one go nuts growing up, and my dad had to kill it when it attacked us.....keep in mind dobis are all we had growing up, and out of about twenty (sometimes four at a time) only one had troubles. Ironically, my dad had named him "satan". My advice is to get a big dog so your home is protected, and get it as a puppy so you, and it's sad, don't have to deal with effects of previous owners that screwed them up in the head.

musipilot

Rye-- do what I did. I needed a dog that fit a specific set of circumstances, and I found ONE good use for AOL. If you have an AOL account or know someone what does, under the pet section there is a "Match me to my dog" feature. It asks 41 questions about space, compatibility, time, etc. in matching you to a dog species, and I gotta tell you, its pretty good.
When we did it, we only found one breed that matched 100%, and he's sitting at my feet as I type this :)
Dave

jumpfrog

I've had many dogs over the years, but, our West Highland Terrier is by far the best we've ever had. Very smart, loveable and plenty of energy. Here's Sadie Mae as a puppy:

j21kickster

Boxers are very fun dogs- they arent mean unless you raise them mean- strong and smart
Labs- need i say more
Last but not least the ultimate of all small dogs, a schipperke-
small, cool coat, very loyal, smart and very playful- dosent bark too much either- here is a puppy

krunk

Rye, we have had two labs, and i loved them too death.A black and a white, they are dogs, VERY smart, very kind, very laid back, very protective of your family etc.... they are great looking dogs, but the only real bad part is the shedding, but if you brush them it isnt so bad of a problem. like bronco said, walk them everyday, or everyother day. here are some pics of my dog Rosco(2 years in a month)

derrikd

well i have 2 little poms. they all ways fallow you around and like attiontion so that is why i like poms. if you want a dog to play catch and fech stuff it is not a pom. but you can cuddle up with them. good luck in finding your new freind. they come part of the family quick no matter what you end up getting... here is a relly mean pic...lol

badasstang

This is my Pek-a-pom, Princess, she is adorable, though a dork. She is a bit bigger now, with long hair...she looks like a tiny polar bear.
She loves to play...tug of war, and fetch. She loves all her toys, for some reason she is attracted to most of the pink ones! But most of all, she likes to give kisses, especially at night, she will wake me up with kisses, though she NEVER picks on my girlfriend!

justinx

Get a Jack Russel Terrier hands down! They are (IMO) the greatest dog that ever was. They are extremely energetic, playful, loyal, not to mention smart (well, kinda) I had a dog book that describes this dog as "exercises itself" I had to see what this was about. I took a tennsi ball and put a LONG bungee cord through it, staked it into the middle of the yard. Through the ball once and its over. The dog would run, fetch the ball, but before it made it back to me, the bungee would yank the ball out of its mouth and send it flying across the yard. the cycle then repeats. My dog (jackie) would do this for a good hour, then come inside and go to sleep. She was always at the door waiting when i got home for me. Plus they stay small, but not too small. They have short hair so you wont have tons of dog hair around.