Officially joined the hobby today!!!

gcgrad

Day 4 since cocktail shrimp were added. Temp 78, pH 8.2, ammonia 1 ppm, nitrite .25 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm. Salinity still 1.022, I ran out of salt so I had to order more. Salinity will be maintained at 1.024 in the system. Thoughts on parameters welcomed. Thanks!

deejeff442

time to take the shrimp out if you didnt already.it is well on its way.1.022 is fine for now .it wont matter for the cycle.i keep mine at 1.025-1.026 mostly for the corals.

gcgrad

Day 7 of cycle. Shrimp are out. Temp 78, salinity 1.024, ph 8.2, ammonia 1 ppm, nitrite 2 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm. Anyone know if these readings are normal for this stage of the cycle? Thanks

deejeff442

how long have you had ammonia readings?usually ammonia hangs around for a few days.but they look like a strong cycle.just let it ride out.when the ammonia and nitrites are zero you are good.you will probably get nitrates at 20-40 but fish are not bothered at these levels just corals.once the ammonia and nitrites are zero time for a cuc.

gcgrad

Thanks deejeff! I started picking up ammonia readings on Day 3. Don't worry, I'm patient and will let it take its course. Any recommendations on the cuc? Right now I'm thinking several snails and maybe a cleaner shrimp. But not sure how many snails and on the fence with the shrimp.

deejeff442

hell this thread is so long i forgot what size tank you have.how much lr is in there?i find shrimp to be useless.get a few conches.they are very hardy,clean like crazy and look cool.

gcgrad

Day 13 of cycle. Temp 78, salinity 1.025, ph 8.2, ammonia 0.25 ppm, nitrite 5 ppm, nitrate 40 ppm. As expected ammonia is beginning to slowly decrease. Nitrite is staying around 5 ppm, and nitrate has increased from 20 ppm to 40 ppm. All looks to be going normal. Protein skimmer has been hooked up for 48 hours and no skimate has been produced. I have it tuned where the bubble are reaching about 2 inches below the line at which it overflows into the collection cup. I understand that skimmers take time to break in so not too concerned with it right now. Plus there is really nothing in the tank producing any waste so I guess I shouldn't be expecting to see much of anything making its way into the collection cup.

gcgrad

Day 25 of cycle. Temp 78, salinity 1.025, pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrate 10. I think I am ready to add a clean up crew. Any ideas as to how many and what types to add? (125 gallon tank)
Thanks!

deejeff442

personally i love conches get 3 of them the dont seem to die off like snails.but get some snails maybe 20 of them

gcgrad

Well after testing the water all parameters are the same except for nitrate which decreased to 5. So I went and purchased 12 turbo snails and they are my first inhabitants of the tank! I will perform a 20 gallon water change fairly soon (125 gallon tank).

deejeff442

5 thats nothing.i can get mine to zero but even if it gets to 20 i dont worry.i have never really had it over that.dont drive yourself nuts worrying about 5 or 10 nitrates.do you have some algae for the snails to munch on in there?really you always want just a little algae in a tank because alot of fish and critters eat it.

gcgrad

When I purchased my turbo snails the guy at the LFS said for a reef that I should have my salinity at 1.023. I swore I have read to keep it at 1.025. What do you all think about this?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/300#post_3397637
When I purchased my turbo snails the guy at the LFS said for a reef that I should have my salinity at 1.023. I swore I have read to keep it at 1.025. What do you all think about this?
1.021-1.025 you're good. The key is just to keep things constant and avoid rapid changes. Inverts are the most sensitive animals to changes in the marine environment. But they can survive just fine in those ranges if you can keep away from any major swings.
Edit: make sure to drip acclimate slowly over a couple of hours. Lots of local fish stores keep their salinity a little lower so acclimating them to 1.023 might be the way to go. I've always kept my tank right around 1.024-1.025. That's what I acclimated my turbos to and they turned out just fine. Still alive after 6 months. My first one was killed by my halloween hermit.