Oil in tank...what can I do?

uberlink

A few weeks ago my chiller malfunctioned--badly--and sent some kind of oil into my tank. It's now been replaced under warranty (still fighting with them over whether they're going to pay for some carpet damage, but that's another story).
I have gotten most of the oil out of the tank, but I've realized that my skimmer hasn't been skimming since the incident. I think it's like when you put oil in a pot of spaghetti to keep it from boiling over--it's keeping the bubbles from forming.
What can I do? I shudder at the thought, but could I put a drop of some mild soap (e.g. baby shampoo) into the water to see if it will break down the oil? I don't want to harm my critters, but I'm worried that the oil is still in there and that it's keeping me from skimming.
Any suggestions much appreciated!

bang guy

Do a thorough cleaning of your skimmer with straight vinegar and paper towels. It will start skimming again a few days after the cleaning.

natclanwy

If you have an overflow you might try and shut all of you pumps off for an hour or so, and let all the oil residue accumulate at the surface and then do a water change directly off of the overflow then clean the overflow and hoses throughly with vineger before putting them back in service. You also might drain your tank down a little and clean the glass around the top of your tank also to get any residue that is attatching to the sides.

stdreb27

what kind of livestock do you have, and are they ok? BTW the previous idea is a pretty good one in my mind.

uberlink

I'll try the vinegar cleaning. if that doesn't help, then I'll try Natclanwy's suggestions.
For livestock, I have a couple of perculas, a large Foxface Rabbitfish, a bicolor blenny, a three stripe damsel, various shrimp and hermits, a lot of mushrooms and zoanthids, a toadstool leather, three bubble tip anemones, and a brain coral.
The oil hasn't bothered them, but I lost a number of critters (perhaps the weaker ones) to temperature fluctuations when my first chiller died. My first chiller stopped working and a few animals died, including my lovely derasa clam...JBJ sent me a replacement under warranty, and it cracked open spilling gallons of water onto my floor and carpet and spewing oil into the tank. Oddly, the oil in the tank seems to have been the least deadly event in a very bad month for my aquarium hobby.

scsinet

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2541685
If you have an overflow you might try and shut all of you pumps off for an hour or so, and let all the oil residue accumulate at the surface and then do a water change directly off of the overflow then clean the overflow and hoses throughly with vineger before putting them back in service. You also might drain your tank down a little and clean the glass around the top of your tank also to get any residue that is attatching to the sides.
I like this idea. It'll probably take several tries, but since oil will naturally accumulate on the surface, it may be your best option.
I thought about your chiller issue the other day... was wondering where that had gone.

waterworld

I had a junk oil filled pump (before I knew better!) in my Koi pond a number of years ago that leaked oil into my water. In dscussion with the manufacturer they mentioned of course that the oil will float on the surface of the water as it is lighter. They said to float papertowels on the surface of the water. This allowed the towels to soak up the oil and water on the surface and after a number of changes to clean towels I had removed 95% of the oil.
May be worth a try to get the majority of the oil.
Warning never buy an oil filled pump!
Good Luck,
WW

uberlink

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2542119
I like this idea. It'll probably take several tries, but since oil will naturally accumulate on the surface, it may be your best option.
I thought about your chiller issue the other day... was wondering where that had gone.
They sent me a new chiller. They have "suggested" that I submit my carpet bill to my home insurer. I don't think I'll do that. First, given my deductible I'd still be paying most of it. Second, I don't want to do anything that might increase my premiums. Third, turning it into insurance just means the insurance company gets to sue in my shoes.
So, I will ask them nicely one more time to pay the carpet bill. If they refuse, then I'll serve a very simple civil complaint in Minnesota state court.

uberlink

Originally Posted by Waterworld
http:///forum/post/2542165
I had a junk oil filled pump (before I knew better!) in my Koi pond a number of years ago that leaked oil into my water. In dscussion with the manufacturer they mentioned of course that the oil will float on the surface of the water as it is lighter. They said to float papertowels on the surface of the water. This allowed the towels to soak up the oil and water on the surface and after a number of changes to clean towels I had removed 95% of the oil.
May be worth a try to get the majority of the oil.
Warning never buy an oil filled pump!
Good Luck,
WW
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've gotten the vast majority out. There just seems to be some residue hanging around that is making it impossible to skim.

jaymz

if the oil is floating on the surface just try to lay some paper towels on the surface where the oil is and it should soak it up.

t316

Uber...can you elaborate more, for the rest of us, what exactly did your JBJ do? Did it just spring a leak and that's how the carpet got messed up? How did the oil end up in the tank? Thanks

uberlink

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2542663
Uber...can you elaborate more, for the rest of us, what exactly did your JBJ do? Did it just spring a leak and that's how the carpet got messed up? How did the oil end up in the tank? Thanks
For a couple days I had been noticing an oily sheen on the surface of the water. I thought it was just because it was a new chiller and I must not have rinsed it out enough. In the middle of the night, I heard the sound of my main pump sucking air. Went into the room to find a pool of water spreading out on the floor under the chiller, faintly black in color, smelly, hot, and highly electrically charged. The tank water was murky and there was a ton of oil on the surface. The water ran out onto my hard wood floor and then down a structural wall into the basement, where there is carpet.
I called JBJ the following Monday. They immediately agreed to replace the unit, and they indicated they would take care of the carpet...but they seem to be losing their willingness to cover the carpet bill. No great surprise...
They did tell me what they thought had happened, but I honestly can't remember specifically. I think it was some kind of a pinhole in the heat exchanger, but I can't remember for certain. The gentleman I spoke to said he'd only seen this 3 or 4 times--very rare. He said it can only really happen through some kind of trauma. (Perhaps during the refurb process or during shipping?)

t316

I'm sorry uber, I remember your thread now from when it happened. I was about to say..."that sounds exactly like what happened to someone else recently".
Keep updating though. My JBJ should be here in the next day or two, so I am curious as to how your situation with them unfolds.

uberlink

I think (hope!) my experience has been unique. The electronics in my first one died without any apparent explanation; the second split open without any apparent explanation. JBJ was really nice about the whole thing, and I understand why they're not jumping at the chance to pay my carpet bill (although I think they are obligated to do so). They seem to have the best reputation in the industry, so I suspect you'll have good luck.

uberlink

Weeks later and a major cleaning later, my skimmer still isn't skimming. What else can I try? A drop of gentle soap? I know that sounds insane, but I fear it may be the only way to break up oil residue...obviously I don't want to hurt any of my critters, but the lack of skimming for the last six weeks can't be good.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by uberlink
http:///forum/post/2542630
So, I will ask them nicely one more time to pay the carpet bill. If they refuse, then I'll serve a very simple civil complaint in Minnesota state court.
better check the paper work on the device I bet the warranty only covers the original unit and there is a disclaimer stating they are not responsible for any damage to persons or property. the second you hooked it up you agreed to their paper work..... I would double check just in case so you dont saddle yourself with legal fees just to lose.

t316

So did they ever cover the cost of your carpet?
And I don't understand why your skimmer is still not skimming....why would the residue keep the skimmer from doing it's job? Are you sure the skimmer is okay?

uberlink

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2580483
better check the paper work on the device I bet the warranty only covers the original unit and there is a disclaimer stating they are not responsible for any damage to persons or property. the second you hooked it up you agreed to their paper work..... I would double check just in case so you dont saddle yourself with legal fees just to lose.
I wouldn't be making a warranty claim. I would be making a strict products liability claim. Consider this: if Ford could avoid paying damages for personal injury or property damage just by saying "our warranty only covers vehicle repairs, not the cost of property damage and injuries when the Explorer rolls at high speeds," lawyers would quickly be out of business and all those Ford/Firestone lawsuits would never have succeeded. My claim would be that the product was itself defective and unreasonably unsafe for its intended purpose--classic products liability fodder. The law in most states allows a claim for damage done by a defective product to the person or to property other than the product itself. So you can't sue outside the warranty for damage to the chiller, but you can sue for damage the defective product does to you or your house, for example.
Don't worry about the legal fees. I'll handle this one myself.

uberlink

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2580901
So did they ever cover the cost of your carpet?
And I don't understand why your skimmer is still not skimming....why would the residue keep the skimmer from doing it's job? Are you sure the skimmer is okay?
Unfortunately, they are unwilling to pay unless sued. I have drafted a complaint, but have been busy lately and haven't gotten around to serving and filing it.
Like all of us, I also have much better things to do with my time than to battle over the small stuff, but it's the principle of the thing...they sent me a completely defective device that did damage to my house and also shocked the living hell out of me. They were kind enough to send me a replacement, which I appreciated. But at the end of the day I spent a lot of money and time trying to set things right, and my tank STILL isn't back to normal!
On the skimming, I think the oil is causing the problem. I keep thinking about it like spaghetti boiling on the stove. To keep it from frothing up and boiling over, you just add a little oil. I wonder if the oil in the water is keeping the froth from forming?