Ok here i go!!!! 75g tank build

rslinger

Well it has been a few years and I do still have tanks up in my house but nothing special. This one i hope will be special. I got a 75 gallon tank last week. I plan on building my own stand, light, and Acrylic51 is going to make a overflow box for me. I will be starting making the stand today. I am going to make the stand a little oversized so i have more room to work inside. I have a 30 gallon sump that i am putting under it, an G-3 skimmer(I know probably over kill but i got it for 100 with the pump), I am also going to be making a fuge for it(maybe another 29 gallon). For light i am going to be making a LED light. Should be fun here is the tank the day I brought it home.
That is the stand i got it with and i hate it

rslinger

OK well not as much done today as i had hoped! Got 90% of the wood cut for the frame. I am going a little over kill with the frame compared to the other 2 stands I have done. I don't want it to ever fall over on my little baby crawling around. I am making the stand 56in instead of 48in because my tank is drilled on the short side and it will be a peninsila. I am also making it 23 in wide instead of 18 to give me a couple in extra room on both sides. I will hide that in trim. Well i think it will be friday before i get the frame put together will post pictures when i do.

rslinger

You know not real sure what's going in it yet.... Lots of coral thats for sure a few fish... Made a little progress today on the stand. Went and pick up a 30 gallon sumpfuge. Also a ASM G-3.

rslinger

Well this is as far as I got so far today hope I get more time to work on it yet today. This is going to be the door side. The doors opening is 32in.
Oh and yeah my floor in my building room is a half in. of level over the 56in of the stand real pain in the butt.

rslinger

No that's the back roomlaundry room in my house. I have no garage(i wish). This is the last time i try to build something level on that floor. Had to stop and shim everything to level every board. But I got the rough frame done minus the plywood.

1snapple

I am so going to fallow this.
Looks good so far, you need a garage

I think as far as additions to the tank you need a couple yellow tangs and tons of corals.
What kind of LED's are you using? Cree's?

blackjacktang

Ive always loved a thread of a person building a tank from Getting the parts to setting it up to making it look beautiful- and for some reason most of the build threads ive seen, the person had to sell it sadly in the end.

rslinger

Yeah selling it is not in my plans thats for sure. I have sold a couple of my other big tanks due to moves. This one is still small enough that I could move it if i had to. I am also doing this on a small budget but i want the best so i will make some of my own and get the best deal i can find for the rest. Yes i will be using Cree 3w Led. I next thing i must buy is a new RO/DI..... I could make my own we will see about that. After that i will skin the stand and add the doors. Will be doing it in oak as that is the only doors i can find easy in my area. 1/4 oak sheets are about 14.99 for a 4x8 sheet I know it is not very thick but really doesn't have to be. I am thinking of atleast putting some KILLS on the inside to help with mildew growth.

rslinger

So do you guys think FlexSpa is worth the extra money? I would cost me around $60 to do it in Flex, and around 15 to do it in regular.

rslinger

Duh yeah SpaFlex...anyway Menards has it it. I was thinking about it all(or atleast most of it in it). Would probably make a stand pipe with regular but the rest return included with flex. a ten foot roll of 1 1/2 is $32 and a ten foot roll of 3/4 is around $18.