Ok to add a niger?

hammerhed7

I am considering adding a Niger trigger to my tank, what do you think?
220 gal in wall
Stock list:
Volitan Lion
Blue Jaw Trigger
Green Wolf Eel
Harelquin Tusk
Yellow Tang
Tomato Clown
Paddlefin Wrasse
Orange Toadfish
Think there would be any aggression toward the Blue Jaw, I am not too worried about it with the lion.
Thanks
Jim

jhebi

Yes, the niger soon or later will kill your blue jaw, and also triggers with lions are not tolerated.....All triggers even the one that are reef safe can one day go on a killing spree......

psusocr1

agreed, although about 7 posts down people seem to think some triggers would be o.k.. IMO iw ouldnever put a trigger with any lion

squirreloso

what will happen to the lion? isnt it venomous? it wont sting the trigger?
i heard that some puffers shouldnt be kept with lions either, they pick at the fins...but their venomous lol
i dunno :D

v-lioness

Bluethroats, Crosshatch, Sargassum, the Xanthichthys Species really is generally well behaved when it comes to lions, not to often you hear about one of these snapping. Pinktails and Nigers are more risky, especially with maturity. Personally I keep a Pinktail with my lions, have for years trouble free with the lions, it is mature, than again last week my Pinktail killed my Bluethroat.
Instead of the Niger, would you consider a Male or Female (not sure what you have) companion to go with the current BlueThroat resident?
Kaye

hammerhed7

I think I am going to rule out the niger in favor of another lion, I was considering a female blue jaw also to go with my male, but maybe I will just play it safe, I don't worry about my bluejaw since he is afraid of his own shadow. My only concern now will be figuring out how to get the new lion onto frozen foods with the pigs lightning fast pigs that I already have in there.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by Grouperlover
A trrigger is fine with a lion i keep a volin and a niger together and there fine together
Unfortunately, in this hobby, direct experiences are not always textbook. Some people get lucky, and some don't.

psusocr1

agreed with the above statement, you also have to keep in mind many people keep uncompatible fish that are "fine" together, but usually people dont keep them long enough for the "snap" period in which the uncompatible fish have been kept together for 2 or so years and they were fine with each other until one day they come home and wonder why one of them is dead...noone can predict when this will happen or if it will but more than not it will eventually down the road happen.. its only instinct.
there was someone on either this site or another popular site and the story went: they kept a tesselatta eel with a bunch of other larger fish i.e groupers, lions tangs etc. he had them all together for 4 or 5 years and one day he came home to a tessellata species only tank... hopefulyl someone gets my point which is uncompatible creatures will tolerate each other until that "one day" hence they are uncompatible

kirkaz

Jim, do you like your Green Wolf Eel? How big has it gotten in that tank, and how long in there? I know it is not really an eel (it's a blenny), but does it act like an eel? Anyone else's input is welcome.

hammerhed7

I really like the green wolf, he is about 14" now, and has grown about 2" in the 9 months I have had him. The thing I like the most about the wolf is that it is active, and does not just hid in the rock work, and at feeding time he perches on top of my inlet waiting for food. Very cool fish, and not aggressive toward his tank mates. Very hardy as well

hammerhed7

Originally Posted by psusocr1
agreed with the above statement, you also have to keep in mind many people keep uncompatible fish that are "fine" together, but usually people dont keep them long enough for the "snap" period in which the uncompatible fish have been kept together for 2 or so years and they were fine with each other until one day they come home and wonder why one of them is dead...noone can predict when this will happen or if it will but more than not it will eventually down the road happen.. its only instinct.
there was someone on either this site or another popular site and the story went: they kept a tesselatta eel with a bunch of other larger fish i.e groupers, lions tangs etc. he had them all together for 4 or 5 years and one day he came home to a tessellata species only tank... hopefulyl someone gets my point which is uncompatible creatures will tolerate each other until that "one day" hence they are uncompatible
PSU, Nice to see you back, haven't seen you around in a while. You make a strong argument for the long haul. I am deciding to add another lion, and I am considering moving my blue jaw to another tank as he grows larger, I have had him for a long time, and he must be a runt as he has only grown wider, not longer, but I have grown attached to him.
Speaking of incompatible species, I have recently seen photos on another board where a guy posted pics of his 24"+ bumble bee grouper with with his large tess eel hanging out of its mouth. The eel looked much to large to be eaten in the photos, but the pics don't lie.
I just got my first lion 6 months ago, and I am still learning about keeping them, thanks everyone for your help. (I will shut up now
)

psusocr1

lions are amazing animals,,i had two if you remember in my 300 a russels and a volitan and they were my favorites,, lots of personallity and they grow quick so ia lwaso enjoyed that as well... good luck with them!

hammerhed7

I do remember, and if I recall you had a huge maroon clown with them too. I haven't seen you posting much since I saw your build thread for the glass tank you built. Working on any new projects lately?

psusocr1

hey hammerhead,
i did post ALOT after my build thread especially with tons and tons of pictures from my 300 gallon aggressive and 125 and 75 reef, i havent posted latley because i moved to florida recently so i had to settle in..
ayway yes i had a monster gold stripe maroon... the maroons are more docile but the gold stripes are INSANE.. well mine was anyway he was the "little" king of my tank evan putting my shark,rays, eel, tangs and lions int here place when need be
i do build ALOT of custom sumps and tanks(smaller for now) for people since thats all i have time to do. i also build my own skimmers now which are " in production and testing" but im extremely happy about how its working out for me latley, so look for more to come in the near future..

hammerhed7

congratulations on your move, I bet you will miss the winters, LOL. Cant wait till you bakc up and running, your tanks were great. In the mean time I will try ti fire up my camera, and some pics of mine out here.
Jim

psusocr1

thanks jim,,
i cant wait either i have a monster setup planned when i buy my house, and yes its soo hot here and i will definantly miss the winter, hunting for BIG BUCK, snowboarding etc. etc. id like to see some pics of your tank as well!

crimzy

I'll tell you this... the niger is virtually no threat at all to the blue jaw. Triggers are not like angels or tangs, where there will be aggression among similar species. In fact, triggers are best equipped to live with other triggers.
As far as the lion goes, I think it would be fine with the blue throat. The niger is a little more iffy. I have seen very docile nigers and very aggressive ones. The compatibility potential with a niger would be risky.