Oldie but newbie

patrick8929

Hey everyone,

Glad to see there is still some activity on here! I just bought a used Solana 40 gallon tank that I am very excited about getting up and running. I have previously had a 50 gallon and 2 10 gallons. I will be looking on here to refresh my memory and make sure I make this tank a beautiful center piece for our living room! This is what I bought:

patrick8929

I should have been more specific, bang. That is just a pic from the internet to show the tank and light set up I bought. I will be setting it up next week. I look forward to using this site again to relearn everything I once knew. I'm sure there are some better techniques as well. This will be my first all in ine tank and it is something I have always wanted!

patrick8929

Absolutely, Bang!
One thing that i want to try that i have not in the past is some of the more difficult coral. I used to use T5HO lighting but i think i want to use LEDs and halides for this build and i have no clue what i should/need to buy.

flower

Absolutely, Bang!
One thing that i want to try that i have not in the past is some of the more difficult coral. I used to use T5HO lighting but i think i want to use LEDs and halides for this build and i have no clue what i should/need to buy.
Hi ... Look into LEDs, no Metal Halides, they give off heat, and in an all in one tank setup, that would be a nightmare.

patrick8929

Okay, so the pendant fixture that comes with the tank is a halide fixture. I haven't looked at it yet so im not sure what my options are but can I put something in there to supplement the LEDs? can I convert it into something else that is beneficial in some way? I like the look of it and would love for it to be beneficial in some way to the system

patrick8929

thinking about making this a snowflake clown tank, basically just have 2 snowflakes as the stars of the tank. Maybe a yellow watchman as well and then focus on scape and corals.. thoughts?

patrick8929

and so it begins! i will be doing more work tomorrow. spraying it the rest of the way out and scrubbing it down! so excited about this build! i have 3 LED strips as well as a MH fixture. IDK how old the MH bulb is so i will be ordering a new on. The mount and fixture allows me to raise the light a pretty good distance above the tank. I know it was mentioned that heat might be an issue... if i raise it above the tank to resolve the heat issue will that take away from the lighting? I dont know what the LED speqs are.. Any help on figuring that out would be great.

Attachments

patrick8929

i will post more pics tomorrow. The built in filtration system has a skimmer, fuge, and pump in it. I will be asking how to maximize the efficiency of these as much as possible once set up...

patrick8929

What it came with:
2 hydor pumps (after some soaking in hot water and scrubbing they are functional)
Skimmer (looks like one that is built for this system specifically)
Looks like it has Bio Balls in a side compartment... Would those be better placed somewhere else in the filtration system?
Heater (seems to work well, ill probably upgrade though)
Main pump (works really well!)

I will takes some pics today after i spray it out and scrub it down some more.

patrick8929

okay so here are the pics from cleaning it all out today! everything works great! unfortunately over the last week we decided to move back home and we will be moving in about a month and a half! so the rest of the build will be on hold until we are all settled in.

Attachments