Oman Clownfish

ucdpike2001

I have a fellow co-worker who is going to give me an Oman clownfish. Does any one know anything about them? I have been told that they are rare. However, I havent been able to find very much about them. Thanks!

riccio

There's no info because absolutely nobody has one since the Sultan of Oman would probably have them beheaded. No offense, I'm extremely doubtful, but I would like to see a pic of the clown you do get.

celacanthr

I found one pic, and the description that came along with it was that it was an Amphiprion omenesis (this may or may not be correct)
The rest of the description was in a different language (I am pretty sure arabic)
HTH

dogstar

FishBase DOES list it ( pic ) and the WetWeb Boys do talk about it ( quote ).....
" Amphiprion omanensis Allen and Mee 1991, the Oman Anemonefish. Cinnamon-colored overall, with two slim white body bars with narrow black bordering. White tail fin. Found only about Oman in the Arabian Peninsula."

ucdpike2001

Originally Posted by Dogstar
FishBase DOES list it ( pic ) and the WetWeb Boys do talk about it ( quote ).....
" Amphiprion omanensis Allen and Mee 1991, the Oman Anemonefish. Cinnamon-colored overall, with two slim white body bars with narrow black bordering. White tail fin. Found only about Oman in the Arabian Peninsula."

Thats it! The whole sultan thing makes me wonder though. Could the clownfish he has be some sort of morph?
Thanks

dogstar

The Sultan thing is a joke. Its a true species. Oman ( a country ) has a lot of coast line and reefs and its not uncommon for species to have a limited range in that area. Many species are found exclusively in that area, mainly listed as RED SEA species.

viper_930

I agree with with Bang.
Is your co-worker basing the ID on the fact that his fish has a lyretail? I know there is a different species that could exhibit a lyretail like the omans'. Let me see what I can dig up.

viper_930

Well I can't find the pics anymore, but if I remember correctly the clowns with lyretails were IDed as A. bicinctus from the Red Sea. I think this makes sense, since the Red Sea is relatively close to Oman.