OMG - my 180 broke tonight :-(

dina12

Sitting here watching the tank and I hear a popping noise....thought it was the kids - then smelled smoke.....looked under the tank to find water everywhere and the timers on fire......UUUGGGG!!!!!!! Thank goodness my husband was home tonight - off to the fish store - no 180's in stock - had to get a 125 long.......while we was picking that up - I imagined the whole bottom of the tank just busting loose.....called everyone I knew.....filled bucket after bucket of tank water....all the rocks in the bathtub...fish in the buckets, corals everywhere we could fit them....Luckily we could use the same stand.....transfered all the sand first, then rock and water, so far everything is looking okay......My husband is still in the process of hooking the equiptment back up......had to buy all new timers too......
Please pray everything makes it.....the lowest the temp got was 72 - we are raising it slowly......fish are swimming around - corals are still in buckets....I need a stiff drink!!!!!

aw2x3

Has to be some reason why it broke...they just wont break for no reason.
How old is/was the tank?...did you see where it broke, after you tore it down?...crack in the middle of the glass?...silicone seal come loose?
Thankfully, you were home and got everything moved over...I hope everything makes it.

dina12

It was an older tank we bought used....never again!!!!! Looks like the silicone let loose. I am so thankful we were home and able to save all the fish.

aw2x3

That's what always scares me.
The two tanks I have...200gal and a 90gal were both bought/aquired used and a number of years old. I filled both and let sit for days before continuing the setup of both.

1fast300z

That is a very scary story. Hope all works out for the best, you have to look at the bright side, the tank could have shattered at the bottom completely like you said and then you would have a even bigger problem. Good luck with everything.

monalisa

I've come back and forth to this thread 5 times, wanting to post, but not knowing what I should say!! I've actually had nightmares about something like that...and I only have a 37 gallon (which, frankly would probably wipe out my whole living room...:hilarious).
All I can come up with is...geez good luck. I hope everything works out for you and for your critters. Please, please let us know how everything works out. Best wishes.
Lisa :happyfish

dina12

Thank you all. When we bought the tank we set it up and let it go for a month before we put anything in it.....it has been up and running for 3 weeks now with no problems....and BAM!!! My Husband was suppose to be 4 hours away tonight for work - his plans changed at the last minute. If I were alone with the kids - I would still be sitting on the floor crying and not knowing what to do. He is just finishing reconnecting the Sump. Fish are still swimming around......we were able to salvage all the water so hopefully everyone will make it. I am a bit concerned about my lighting - I had 2 - 400 watt MH on my 180....they are now going to be on the 125.....hope it isn't overkill.

psusocr1

i hope everythign makes it, im sure it will be fine.
same thing happened to me but look at the bright side... TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!!!

windmill

Jesus god almighty.......180 gallons.
There ain't nothing more terrifying and stressfull than a tank spewing water.
I've been debating how to go about buying another large tank, and your post has solidified my resolve to buy a high-quality brand spanking new big-boy.

stanlalee

this tank I plan on using was made in 1989 :scared: and my 30 gallon that I use probably around 94'
I find the older tanks are built better with thicker glass and less attractive but substantially more silicon to hold them together. I did get this one used so I may fill it with water in the garage and see what it does before setting it up on the hardwood floor its going on.
AGA 100g 72x18x19 complete with build date plague 1989. probably havent even made this size in a decade.

hatessushi

Wow...I hope everything makes it. Sounds like you lucked out by being there
You might consider moving to an acrylic tank since they don't break. Yes, you might get a few scratches here or there but it sure is nice to have piece of mind. I worry more about my stand then tank since the standis just about as important as a sercure tank.

dina12

Thank you all for the kind words....we finally got everything put back together at 2 this morning. So far all is great. We did not lose a thing. Talk about stressful. Did I mention this happened the same day I spent 3 hours on my hands and knees scrubbing my hardwood floors............guess what I get to do again today??
All my fish are out and eating this morning.....I have not turned on the MH's yet, I need to monitor that really close.....not sure what kind of temp change I am going to get with these on a smaller tank.
I am just so glad things happened when they did - we could have been asleep, out of the house, kids home alone, hubby not here......It definatly could have been alot worse than it was - although I didn't think that last night....

teen

i think you'll be fine with the 2x400 watts over that tank. the only thing is just keep the corals a bit lower than they were in the first tank, that is if this tank is not as high. also keep the lights on for like 8 hours and see if the temp gets to high, if it doesnt then bump it up to 10 hrs and see if gets higher. do you have a chiller from the last tank?

jon in tx

I had a nightmare about this a couple of weeks ago.
I called my insurance agent the next day and asked if a tank leak would be covered - they said Yes (subject to deductible).
The thought of an aquarium emptying on the floor while no one is home is not good! I wonder if this ever happenned to anyone? I guess if it did, they may have adandoned the hobby!

daninct

Good news is you had hardwood. I lost about 30 gal in the carpet and it also Leaked into the finished basement rec room. Smelt like low tide at the beach for a few weeks. Stanley Steamer loved me coming back every few days! I did have to tear down the sheet rock in the basement, though.

wangotango

i only lost about 5 or so gallons when my skimmer went super nova (story in one of my threads), but it did leave some water damage. the hardwood floor under the carpet buckled, and theres stains on the ceiling tiles in the basemet. you dont have any water damage on your floor do you? its probably best to get that cleaned up fast. glad to hear everything made it though.